PDA

View Full Version : Self Harm Scars and PERMDQ at MEPS.

bdejesus0356
11-15-16, 01:13 PM
I've wanted to go into the Marine Corps for a long time. Unfortunately I ****ed up and started cutting myself when I was 16. That was three years ago and I haven't done it since. It wasn't even because of stress, anxiety, or depression (for those who wanna say that if I cut myself, then what makes me think that I can survive in one of the most stressful branches of the military). I did it simply out of curiosity, and became addicted to it. Scientifically this addiction is considered to be normal, because cutting releases endorphins. Not saying that cutting is okay; it's not, but still. I spoke to a recruiter today and he said that because my scarring is so bad (so bad that I can't lie about it) that there will be a HIGH chance that I will be permdq'd at MEPS. He said that I will need to write a statement, and get a psych evaluation and have my info looked over by someone in a high command (idk what he called it). He said that it would be in my best interest to go to a doctor and get evaluated, and have the doctor fill out a detailed report on why I started cutting, why I stopped and why I'll never do it again. He said that I should then submit this paperwork to the recruiters office. My recruiter told me that even with all this I still have a very very low chance of being accepted in. I explained my story to him and the other recruiter, and they both seemed convinced that I am stable enough to enter the Marines (even after reviewing my scars himself) so I'm hoping MEPS will hear me out and give me a chance. I've tried giving up on this dream but I just can't. I know I can do right by the Corps if I'm just given a chance. Advice? Please don't tell me that I was a pussy for cutting and that I won't be able to handle recruit training and being a marine because it will be too stressful and all that junk. I know I can handle it. Stress had no correlation to me harming myself. I'm not just some punk kid who couldn't handle my emotions. I'm a strong willed individual.

Tennessee Top
11-15-16, 04:33 PM
The high command he mentioned is probably his Recruiting District Headquarters (where is commanding officer is located). Most waivers go there but some must go all the way to Headquarters, Marine Corps. It's nice the two recruiters seemed convinced you are stable enough to serve. However, they don't make the decision, so it's irrelevant to your case.

As you learned. Actions have consequences - sometimes positive and sometimes negative. We mostly see this in the case of tattoos, marijuana use, and dropping out of school but not as much. Most young people never stop to think about how inking their body will impact their future because it's so accepted in their culture. But, it can, and does for many who want to serve.

I am not going to judge your behavior as a 16 year-old. It's a part of your past now and you're dealing with the consequences.

Only advice I can give you is this. You have no other option but to do the things, and submit the documents, your recruiting district requires. Then, sit back, and hope for the best. It's out of your hands at that point. Will not be a quick process (maybe months). The Marine Corps bureaucracy only has one speed - SLOW. You'll never know unless you ask. My personal opinion is you have no chance but I've been wrong about waivers before.

Read the similar threads beneath your question.

Good luck.