PDA

View Full Version : Objective

Josephus
11-05-16, 01:58 AM
No better way to open with an appropriate opening statement... Thank you for your service Marines!

I would like to start off going into my present situation and how I can possibly with your help navigate my future decisions with enlistment.

In the past I have always seen myself in uniform, either Army or Marines. There was a point where I was ready to enlist but I was told that I did not meet the prerequisites education-wise. I am 24 and even with minor workouts relatively very fit. I posted in the past about getting the quickest credits in order to join the Corps and one answer stuck out to me... it went along the lines of "...If you can't actually sit through one semester, how the hell do you plan on getting through training?"

That was when some thought was really put into my decision making. I decided to get a high-school equivalency and put myself through college. I am currently in a EMS degree program which includes NR-EMT- P(aramedic) certification, and on top of that I signed up to swim classes because I always wanted to be able to swim and with time and dedication I have vastly improved with a foreign language (Arabic), understanding that it is a great language to familiarize with.

Coming back, I apparently have enough credits to enlist as an E-2 and an aspiration of becoming a Reconnaissance Marine or MARSOC CSO. I took my ASVAB and my GT score is 120.

Here is my dilemma, I can see myself going for Officers Candidate School however I realistically see myself being enlisted in the reserves first, finish my degree and keep working on my swimming, languages and most importantly myself and then eventually requesting an attempt at my aspiration. The kicker, I have an interest in becoming a medic however I am finding it very difficult between choosing earning the title of a Marine or becoming a Corpsman with no guarantee I will ever be green-side.
I am in middle of talking to my recruiter and the MOS of 0351 is not available, which is the only MOS I am interested in going as a reservist. On top of that I might be selected for a scholarship abroad for the spring which is dedicated to foreign language study which I know will benefit me no matter where I try to apply. Should I hold on to trying to enlist ?
The reserves supposedly is college-friendly (vice versa) and my last year until I graduate consists of 5 days a week 12 hour days. Will that interfere with duties as a reservist?

Does the next POTUS being either candidate affect anyone's decision on enlistment?

I am glad I finally got this out in text. Your advice is most welcome.

Hammer
11-05-16, 07:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with having options as apparently you do. However, even with these options available, you are very indecisive as to what you want to do; therefore you want someone to make the decision for you.

Here' my take! You wouldn't last a week as a Marsoc candidate, or as a Marine Officer Candidate; and at age 24, just getting through Boot Camp, my be a chore. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Tennessee Top
11-05-16, 09:25 AM
My first reaction after reading your post was - you have way too many sticks in the fire (complicating your decision making process). Example: what's the point of pursuing an EMS degree program if one goal is to be a USMC commissioned officer (that degree and education would be wasted at that point)? At 24, your focus should be on narrowing your aspirations - giving you more opportunity to actually attain them. Time will quickly become your enemy and not an ally. It's good to have options. But sometimes, too many choices result in no choice at all.

On principle. Yes, the reserves is college-friendly. The majority of the reserve company here in Knoxville (Combat Engineers) are full time students at the University of Tennessee. The two weeks active duty for training is held during the summer semester when most students take a break.

The two presidential candidates have differing views of the military. Nobody can say how the winner will affect people's decisions about enlisting (or not). I will say, a democratic administration will be more likely to continue the current social engineering projects like open gays, open transgenders, etc. The current Secretary of Defense is saying he is looking at relaxing the application process to maybe allow for more tattoos, marijuana use, and overweight (because our recruiting pool is shrinking with the current eligibility requirements). Safe to say, a Trump administration would not be as lenient, and may even repeal some programs.

Good luck (you have a lot on your plate currently).

Josephus
11-05-16, 02:05 PM
In the past I have crossed paths with a handful of people who took their time and graduated in one field of work but find themselves working in an entirely different field. My degree in EMS is an AAS program, so 2 years and a few spare months which I only have 1 year left of once I pickup with the Paramedic side of things. Quiet frankly, I really don't know what I want to do later on in life, aside for raising a family of my own one day. I am not married yet, I don't have dependents but I am choosing to go with a practical degree with my education because after all... I am sure we can always agree that some skills are very practical with job security. EMS will always be needed (sadly).
Anyways, I was at my Recruiters office today and I filled in with my last paper work for MEPS which is scheduled for this upcoming week. I hope I do well. I guess that will put the POTUS issue behind me because it is scheduled for Thursday.
Hammer3,

Here' my take! You wouldn't last a week as a Marsoc candidate, or as a Marine Officer Candidate; and at age 24, just getting through Boot Camp, my be a chore. Good luck in whatever you decide!
is there any specific reason a 24 year old will have more issues? My recruiter said that they have even shipped 27 year old men to MCRD PI. Would you have any tips on how to navigate that?

m14ed
11-08-16, 02:59 AM
Sweetpea :
Keep bull$hitting around while playing MickyTheDunce.
You'll find yourself to old to get into the boat.

IF you want to stay where you are,
just keep doing what you've been doing.