PDA

View Full Version : You of the Frozen Chosin

madinfidel
11-01-16, 09:40 PM
Ok Marines, being recently retired and missing the Corps more and more every day I often find myself totally immersing myself in our history. I have recently read about everything I could find on the era of the China Marine to the point I can pretty much keep up with anybody on the subject and have recently gotten a huge interest on the Chosin. I'm going straight to the source here fellas so any suggestions on the best reads on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Semper Fi

Zulu 36
11-01-16, 10:16 PM
Try this book. It's available on Amazon as a Kindle book or paperback. I use to work (in the late 1970s) with one of the Marines who fought in this battle with F/2/7. The formal name of the battle was the Battle of Tok Tong Pass. My co-worker said he was one of only 19 Marines who could walk off the hill unassisted when it was over. He got the Silver Star and a PH.

The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat

madinfidel
11-02-16, 09:07 AM
Thanks Marine I am going to order that now. I swear I could kick myself in the ass for the opportunities I missed to talk to older Marines when I had the chance. You know the ones, the older cats sitting on the corner barstool drinking a draft with a cigar. The ones who always had the right sayings at the right times and their wisdom just shown about them like a friggin beacon. If I were to give advice to a young Marine now it would be to find one of those guys and let them adopt you. I had a guy teach me one time how to sharpen my belt brass as sharp as a razor because he was taught that in a bar fight in Manilla that nothing was handier or always available to you than your belt to swing if need be. Hell of a history we have, thanks and Semper Fi

FistFu68
11-02-16, 11:12 AM
Many moons ago Oct of 68 our Company got a new Gunny something's by about him was different the way he humped off that 34 towards us, the look in his Eyes was deep certain aura 'bout him.Couple weeks later Plt Sgt goes Jack you ain't going on this bughunt cause of that infected toe you got sticking outta that boot you cut the toe outta! I felt weird that I couldn't go with that Wolf pack next AM I'm filling sandbags and Gunny goes let's take 5 just him and I drinking some tiger pi$$ he shares w/me I look at him and say Gunny you look eXactly like my PaPa we shoot the breeze and come to find out He was at the Chosen frozen as a Grunt...the thing I remember most about the conversations was how he was raising some kids on his own,goes I have too be here so my kids can Eat! He's was killed on Meade River before S/Sgt Taylor was KIA when that Old timer died was the only time I have ever cried in my Life that and when I married Pattie in 2011...He was the Best of the Best ! Go Easy Semper Fi