PDA

View Full Version : home

Brand0n
10-11-16, 08:39 AM
i going in DEP and im traing daily but i dont know what to do at home as in the personal stuff any recommendations as what to remember

Tennessee Top
10-11-16, 04:48 PM
What kind of personal stuff are you talking about? Help us out here.

madinfidel
10-11-16, 06:35 PM
If you are talking about the Delayed Entry Program and I have a feeling you are, I would suggest that you try to meet your PT quals prior to boot. Run, Run, Run this always seems to give people the most problems. Do your pushups and situps along with your pull ups. Just get yourself in the best shape you can prior to arriving at MCRD and hang on and enjoy the ride. The object here is growth in fitness prior to MCRD. If you smoke.. STOP immediately. How old are you? I can shoot you the standards.

Kegler300
10-11-16, 06:46 PM
Your recruiting substation has a poolee program that prepares you for boot camp. Check with your recruiter.

Brand0n
10-11-16, 09:26 PM
I was about as clear as mud. I meant along the lines of i know to deal with bills, house payments and such. Make sure someone watches my house but is there anything like that that is commonly forgotten . Sorry if that isn't clear I really don't know how to rephrase my question it makes more sense in my head

Tennessee Top
10-11-16, 10:27 PM
You need to arrange for someone to pay your bills for you. You will not have access to a computer for on-line banking and you cannot take your checkbook with you. You'll also have to arrange with someone to take care of your property. You will not be driving your vehicle for the 13 weeks of bootcamp, 29 days of MCT or 59 days of ITB, nor while you're in MOS school usually around 8-10 weeks but could be longer. So, figure out what you want to do about your car insurance. Cannot take your cell phone, so figure out what you want to do with it as well (normally, suspend service till you can use it again).

Talk to your recruiter about all this. They'll be able to give some advice (they've seen it all before).

Brand0n
10-11-16, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice just nervous and dont want to miss a single detail

Tennessee Top
10-12-16, 08:14 AM
Understandable. It's a learning experience and you'll make mistakes along the way (we all did). It's important to use the resources available to you.

Besides your recruiters. While you're in the DEP, there will be boot Marines who just graduated bootcamp coming back to help the recruiters (this program is called Recruiters Assistance). Don't hesitate to talk to them about how they handled your same issues.

Jofus
10-28-16, 09:42 AM
Don't forget your cable/internet bills. I rented a house with two buddies in college before I enlisted and shipped to PI. I completely forgot the Comcast bill was in my name, and while I was at boot, my "buddies" didn't pay the bill. I never heard anything about it until over five years later when I get a nasty-gram from Comcast saying my bill was sent to collections. I tried to fight it, but it still took a cool 100 points off my credit score right before I EAS'ed and applied for a VA loan. Talk about coming back to bite you in the butt.

MunkyVsRobot
10-29-16, 12:21 PM
Any and all personal stuff is on you either set it up for auto pay if you are married have the spouse deal with the expenses, if you are unmarried have family help you out. It isn't rocket science, try thinking like an adult and picture what a responsible person would do someone who is going to be detached from the outside for about 3 months and then do that.