PDA

View Full Version : Question about running portion of PFT

Dunkel
10-06-16, 06:40 AM
I run cross country and I am just wondering what type of terrain we run on.

On a track, I can run a 3 mile around 18 minutes

On a road, I can run around 20 minute 3 mile.

On a hilly course with a lot of dips and rough terrain I can run in a 21:20.

Just wondering so I can gauge my PFT score.

Thanks!

Also, an update: As soon as my dad can come sign my contract, since he is gone for a week at a time, I will be doing a reserve contract, while in college, then contact an OSO about PLC. My recruiter brought up a good point, well two. One I will already be a marine before so I have a small edge on other candidates if my academics are the same as theirs, and two, I can make sure that is what I want to do. If I get two years into my reserve contract, I can just finish the four more years instead of doing the PLC if for some reason I change my mind.

Thanks for all the help.

silveradomick
10-06-16, 08:57 AM
The PFT courses I always ran were usually paved road or packed sand. Relatively flat. With gradual ups, downs, and turns. If you can crank out 18min on a track now you're gonna do fine.

Tennessee Top
10-06-16, 09:50 AM
A cross country runner will have no problems with the run portion of the PFT. Normally relatively flat and paved surface.

I have ran the narrow/hilly trails at OCS in Quantico (imagine the ridgeline following a line of power line towers). A cross country runner's dream. Quantico is known for oppressive heat/humidity in the summer, and cold winters. Spent two years assigned there, and was also there for the resident Staff NCO Academy, as well as Marine Security Guard school (embassy duty).

Did have one PFT course that was a 3 mile straight line, downhill, along a highway in Managua, Nicaragua.

MunkyVsRobot
10-18-16, 07:51 PM
you wanna gauge how well you run 3 miles wanna know how you do that? Run 3 friggin miles and time yourself there you just gauged your 3 mile run time.