PDA

View Full Version : Lasers & Drones for C-130's....

FoxtrotOscar
10-02-16, 03:22 PM
Laser Guns And Air-Launched Drones Coming To The AC-130 According To Lt. Gen. Brad Heithold

The AC-130 will be retrofitted with high-energy laser guns and drones that can be launched mid-flight if Lt. Gen. Brad Heithold has his way.

Heithold wants to turn the AC-130 into a sort of flying aircraft carrier. He believes that both modifications will have offensive and defensive capabilities that will make the slow-flying AC-130 a more versatile and useful aircraft.

He claims that, without these modifications, the AC-130 will become a sitting duck as enemy nation’s military technology becomes more sophisticated.

The aircrafts defensive jamming and spoofing suite is being upgraded but Heithold believes that by the time the new technology is implemented it will be in danger of becoming outdated.

His solution to this problem?

He stated: “The key, I believe, is to pursue high energy laser capabilities.”

He believes that the lasers will be able to shoot down surface-to-air missiles that are a threat to the AC-130.

He claims that the technology can be ready and implemented within a decade.

“Every industry partner who’s ever even touched a laser…I know the technology has matured now. I believe we can put a high energy laser — offensive and defensive — on an AC-130 by the close of this decade.”

He also believes that disposable drones that will be launched directly from the aircraft can be used to scout areas before the AC-130 enters areas where it will be vulnerable to attacks.

They can also be used offensively, to fly within striking distance of surface-to-air missiles and ensure the AC-130’s attacks are on target.

He states that not all AC-130s in the military will need this technology. He believes that applying the technology to just 5 or 6 aircraft will be sufficient.

devilbones2
10-04-16, 09:17 PM
Did you write this?

Jofus
10-07-16, 09:46 AM
I actually just finished working with the Army's Space & Missile Defense Command (SMDC) on a high energy laser demonstrator. Right now it can be used for counter rocket, artillery, and mortars (C-RAM) and counter UAV. It's very impressive, to say the least.

madsox
10-07-16, 12:01 PM
Very cool, Jofus - I definitely think some of these higher-tech upgrades to the AC-130 will keep it relevant and useful and scary as hell for the bad guys for a good long time to come.

And to think it all started with Puff!

FistFu68
10-07-16, 03:53 PM
Yessir, You go too War with the Weapons Issued to Ya...Death from Above with new Tech it's gonna be a "SuperPuff" A$$hole$ Mess with the Best Die like the Rest ! Godspeed to All ya on the Bughunt of the Future Aye Aye Semper Fi :thumbup: