PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted Marines to Commission

CAS3
01-29-04, 09:26 AM
Mulitiple paths lead enlisted Marines to commission, choose the one for you
By Cpl. Joshua Riffle

Marines filled several conference rooms at the Marsh Center Wednesday to learn about the Enlisted-to-officer programs the Marine Corps offers.

The Marines learned about the eight commissioning programs available and what they need to do to meet the requirements for each program.

All the Marines that attended this class were given a handout explaining the basic programs offered, and the reference order for each program. This way, Marines can take that information back to their command to share with other Marines who did not attend, said Capt. Marc Cole, Diversity Marketing Officer, Marine Corps Recruiting Command. In addition to the handout, there is a wealth of information and points of contact at www.mcrc.usmc.mil or www.usna.edu, he added.

The Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program is offered to enlisted Marines who have attained, at a minimum, the rank of corporal. This program requires Marines to attend a college where a Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps program resides or an institution with an agreement with a local NROTC unit to support students. Applicants must be between the ages of 20 and 26, who are ranked in the top 50 percent of their high school class or have a General Equivalency Diploma score of 75, and a Scholastic Assessment Test score of 1000, an American College Test score of 45, or an Armed Forces Qualification Test of 74. Reference for this program is Marine Corps Order 1560.15L.

The next program that was introduced to the Marines was Enlisted Commissioning Program, which allows active duty Marines and active reserve Marines to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the Marine Corps Reserve. Applicants for this program must have a four-year Bachelor’s Degree, be a U.S. citizen, not previously failed any officer program, have an AFQT of at least 74 a SAT of at least 1000 or an ACT at least 45, be between the ages of 21 and 30. Reference for this program is MCO 1040.43A.

The Marine Corps Commissioning Program is available to active duty Marines or active reserve Marines, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential and have attained at least the rank of corporal. The program allows Marines to attend a college where an NROTC program resides or an institution that has an agreement with the local NROTC unit to support students. Applicants must have a letter of acceptance from an NROTC affiliated college or university, be a U.S. Citizen, between the ages of 21 and 30, and not previously failed any officer program. Reference for this program is MCO 1040.43A.

“I already have an associates degree, so it looks as though the MCP program suits me best,” said Lance Cpl. Edward Covell, a student at Northern Virginia Community College.

The Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program allows Marines in the selected Marine Corps Reserve Program to apply for assignment to OCS. Applicants must have a four year Bachelor’s Degree, be a U.S. Citizen, not previously failed any officer program, be between the ages of 21 and 33, be qualified to fill an SMCR officer billet, and have a minimum of a 74 on the AFQT a 1000 on the SAT or a 45 on the ACT. Reference for this program is MCO 1040R.10K.

Active duty Marines and Marines serving in the active reserve program may apply for nomination and appointment to the United States Naval Academy. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen, single, be between the ages of 17 and 23, have no dependents, and cannot be pregnant. Reference for this program is www.usna.edu.

The Enlisted to Warrant Officer Program allows enlisted Marines, who are technical experts in their field to apply for appointment to warrant officer in their military occupational specialty. Annual Marine Administrative Messages are released announcing the application deadlines, MOS vacancies, and any guidance that is new or needs clarification since the last rewrite of the directives. References for this program are SecNavInst 1120.11 and MCO 1040.42A.

“I learned which program I’m more qualified for technically. At first I was more interested in the MECEP, but now I’m finding out I’m actually more qualified for the Warrant Officer Program, and I’d probably be more interested in it as well because I could stay in my MOS. The only qualification I haven’t met is my time in service, said Sgt. Jessica Purdy, a student at NOVA.

Enlisted Marines who have attained the rank of lance Corporal may qualify for the Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training program. Applicants who qualify for this program will attend a one-year preparatory school. Applicants must be active duty or active reserve, lance corporal. or above, at least one year of active duty completed after recruit training, be between the ages of 19 and 25, and have a high school diploma or GED. Reference for this program is MCO 1560.24D.

“I learned about all the different commissioning programs available. I’m really interested in applying for the MCEP or maybe the BOOST program,” said Lance Cpl. Albert Mendez, a student at NOVA and Park College.

The NROTC Scholarship program is open to high school, active duty and reserve enlisted Marines. If selected, applicants will attend a college or university that host an NROTC unit. The scholarship pays for tuition, textbooks, instructional fees and meal allowances. During summer breaks, applicants will complete basic officer training at OCS, and upon completion of college will receive a commission as a second lieutenant. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen, have no record of military or civilian offenses and a SAT score of 1000 or ACT score of 45. Reference for this program is MCO 1306.17F.

“One of the biggest misconceptions is when someone asks about information on enlisted-to-officer programs, supervisors want the Marine who’s considering the program to come to the brief. That’s great, but what we really need are their influencers to attend. We need the SNCOs and junior officers to come out and get the information. They’re the one’s that work with those individual Marines. They’re the one’s who are our eyes and ears, and can identify the Marines who have the potential. We’re trying to get the information in their hands so they can begin the screening process,” said Cole.