PDA

View Full Version : Squad Leader Development Program - 0365 [Calling out all Grunts]

Kphans
09-10-16, 12:38 AM
I'm calling out all grunts and old salt dogs. I want to know what ya'll think of the new Squad Leader Development Program (SLDP).

It's fairly new, so I'll give a basic run down. Mission: To retain Sergeant role Squad Leaders with all the training/schooling to stay in a victor unit. They will lose 0311 and obtain 0365 mos (This does not just pertain to the 11s). They can also still be acting Plt Sgt if need be.

Requirements: Cpl or Sgt. Complete Advance Infantry Course. Cpl's will pick up automatic Sgt upon acceptance into the program (If they're PME complete).

Upon being accepted to the program. You will go to ISULC (Infantry Small Unit Leaders Course) and Sergeant's course. After completion you have the CHOICE of being a Combat Instructor of either WEST or EAST coast (of your choice) for 30 month/2.5yrs then go back to a victor unit. OR go straight to a victor unit (ALSO of your choice).

Reenlistment Bonus: 18,00 Cpls. 25,000 Sgts. So I want to know what you guys on here think about this program.

Would it be a benefit to volunteer for the program or be a regular 0311 Sergeant (Still with the ability to go to any Billet mos).

I can't copy a link on here but it's on Marines.mil and Marine time if you want more details.

lobonoir
09-12-16, 10:52 AM
In my day we went to "combat squad leaders course"..5 weeks..Camp Hansen Okinawa ..I was a 7212/2512...We were lucky they had 5 open seats and that allowed us air-wingers to get them...That was 1985 ..The Marine Corp was pushing NCO school as a mandatory school for all Sgt/Cpl and as many L/Cpl as possible...All SNCOs had to attend SNCO leadership school before they made GySgt ....Are SNCO and NCO schools still mandatory for promotion ??

madsox
09-12-16, 11:18 AM
Just another old part-timer's take on this (mine): if you're looking at staying in the Corps long term, this sounds like the kind of program/billet that will add some points in your favor when re-up time comes around.

It also sounds, from what I can tell (I was Radio and then Civil Affairs, so...) this looks like a good program for just being a better leader. If the school is run well. Like lobo asked, how does this fit in with NCO/SNCO schools? Addition to them, or in place of one, maybe?

Overall it sounds like a good thing for a dedicated grunt who wants to stay in and stay a grunt for at least a few more years. If it sounds like it will help for the higher SNCO ranks (like doing a tour on the Drill field, y'know), then it would be even more better.

advanced
09-12-16, 01:15 PM
All these schools they have today. I became squad leader the old Marine Corps way, last man standing. Those were the days.

Mongoose
09-12-16, 04:24 PM
That's right Russ....the more casualties your Company or Battalion suffered, the faster you made rank.

Kphans
09-12-16, 05:31 PM
Mad and Lobo: Yes, Before applying for the program Corporals need to be PME complete (7 MCIs, Corporals Course, AIC). Once accepted you will pick up Sergeant (If you have TIG/TIS). They will send you to ISULC and Sergeants course. If you however fail these courses for stupid reasons (Medical) They will try to send you back. If not you will leave the SLDP program and the monitor will give you new orders.

USMC 2571
09-12-16, 05:40 PM
I find all this interesting, really I do. But these tremendous changes from yesteryear leave some of us in the dust when it comes to understanding exactly what goes on nowadays, and this is the reason Mongoose (Billy) and I stopped reading Leatherneck Magazine, because it is SO different as to be virtually unintelligible to us.....I realize that as society gets more complex and more complicated, so does the Corps, but still, it is hard to get a handle on all the new ways of doing things. But----still interesting to read about here. Thanks for the posts along those lines.

FoxtrotOscar
09-12-16, 09:56 PM
The funny thing about WAR, it never changes... You kill them before they kill you..

Once in awhile there is no time to have a debate, it's about instinct and reaction...

I fully understand the requirements of technology and the state of the art equipment, but without the outright Killer mentality and physical ability to see it through, all that high tech is for naught..

Just saying...

USMC 2571
09-13-16, 12:08 PM
True, those are the main things, the other stuff is just filling in the details.

advanced
09-13-16, 12:41 PM
The funny thing about WAR, it never changes... You kill them before they kill you..

Once in awhile there is no time to have a debate, it's about instinct and reaction...

I fully understand the requirements of technology and the state of the art equipment, but without the outright Killer mentality and physical ability to see it through, all that high tech is for naught..

Just saying...

FO, now that's the Marine Corps that I knew so well. I do appreciate what Marines are being taught today, however, how do you teach someone to "Feel" the enemy, or to "smell" danger or just when to move.

Mongoose
09-13-16, 04:56 PM
Russ....you can't teach someone the feeling you get when you know you're about to kill to stay alive. Or that rush you get when the **** hit's the fan.

Kphans
09-13-16, 06:36 PM
Of course. Planning goes to **** when bullets starts flying. It's no longer every man for himself. It's the man to your left and right everytime you move. It's the Team leaders that keeps his Marine's heads down. It's the Squad Leader that makes sure everyone gets out alive. You either dump a whole mag on 1 goat****er or you **** yourself.

War hasnt change, but the way we fight has. Everyone battalion has drone capabilities and every platoon has ravens. Every rifle has an optic and everywhere you go your knees will buckle from carrying the weight of gear, every piece of tech, ammo, and the life of your Marines.

I hated my seniors, we were getting ****ed up everyday. Everytime we left the FOB I wish they would never come back. They all left the Corps and I wish they were still here. They trained us to be men, they kept our heads down when we were getting ****ed up. We're no longer allowed to train the boots like how we were trained. Everybody is entitled. The only thing you're allowed to throw to their face is knowledge. Put your hands on them and stay good bye to your career.