PDA

View Full Version : Veteran and Victim of Fraud

SemperFido69
08-21-16, 01:00 PM
New member here in northern New Jersey, just outside of Morristown. My financial situation is difficult these days and I cannot afford to be the victim of fraud.

I'm hoping that a fellow Devil Dog can direct me to a local lawyer who is also a veteran. Difficult to find a trustworthy attorney and I figure my best bet is another vet.

In a nutshell, a local auto repair shop took several thousand dollars from me and they failed to do the work. In fact, they DAMAGED my 1966 Mustang and I had to remove my car from their shop. My damages exceed the small claims court threshold and I need a lawyer.

Can anybody recommend a veteran lawyer familiar with the NJ Consumer Fraud Act in northern NJ?

Thanks & Semper Fi!

SGT7477
08-21-16, 03:00 PM
Good luck I have been a victum of fraud twice with my own cousin, it's not a good situation, really hard to nail that person too because of fraud, I could write a book on it, Semper Fidelis.

Zulu 36
08-21-16, 04:26 PM
You can always call the local county or state bar association. They often have referral services you can use.

SemperFido69
08-21-16, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I've gone that route before. Hence, my experience with dishonest lawyers. That's why I'm looking for an attorney who is also a military veteran.

fl1946
08-22-16, 02:20 PM
Veteran and attorney integrity are mutually exclusive issues; that is, veteran attorney not going to guarantee performance. Best to check state listing by business category. Keep in mind, if value of the case is minimal, attorney's not going to take it. Attorney fees usually @ $150/hour.

Check consumer protection at state and local levels. Speak to State Attorney General and seek recommendations. Good luck.

SemperFido69
08-22-16, 03:07 PM
I realize that military veteran status is no guarantee of honesty in a lawyer. However, I think it's a safer bet than blindly trusting some referral service (bar approved or not). Also, $150/hr doesn't even scratch the surface around here (suburb of NYC). Try a rate starting of at least $300/hr for a small firm and closer to $600/hr for a larger, corporate firm.

Fortunately for me, the NJ Consumer Fraud Act mandates treble damages and legal fees (not up to the discretion of a judge, triple damages are MANDATORY). My successful complaint would net over $20,000, PLUS lawyer's fees and court costs. I want to pursue this to keep this crooked shop from ripping off other unsuspecting folks.

Mongoose
08-22-16, 03:11 PM
You can PM Dave2571, he is an Attorney, and has contacts in different states.

SemperFido69
08-22-16, 04:22 PM
Thanks Mongoose but I tried to PM Dave2571 and I received an error "member not found." Did the "handle" get transcribed correctly?

FoxtrotOscar
08-22-16, 04:32 PM
Dave2571 is incorrect, it is USMC 2571

A space between Dave & 2571....

madsox
08-22-16, 10:23 PM
Or a space between USMC and 2571, that's more likely to get to him...
:marine:

S/F!

SemperFido69
08-22-16, 10:40 PM
I received a reply. Thanks. I'm standing by.

fl1946
08-26-16, 02:58 PM
Fido -- I was being "kind" to you stating the low rate, $150. I should have clarified why I whipped up the number: "no attorney is his/her right mind -- except a desperate wash out would take on this case. The incident itself not worth the time invested. My wife's retired attorney and told me to dig a deep hole and jump in. I didn't bother to ask my daughter, former assistant DA in Anoka County, MN for second opinion. She'd probably pack the hole. Good luck.

BTW, Dave, USMC 2571 good go-to person.

SemperFido69
08-26-16, 03:10 PM
Actually, I just got back from the lawyer's office... a mid-sized firm. The partner is not a military veteran but he agreed to take my case on contingency (no money out of my pocket except for the $250 filing fee and the cost of serving papers on the other party). This case is a "slam dunk" with mandatory treble damages plus attorney's fees and court costs. The shop clearly broke the law in NJ.

I would still like to find a military veteran lawyer to take my case and I'm giving it the weekend. If I don't hear back from Dave by Monday morning, I will likely go with this firm.

FoxtrotOscar
08-26-16, 03:14 PM
Or a space between USMC and 2571, that's more likely to get to him...
:marine:

S/F!

Uh, yep.. That will work much better... Brain fart....;)

Mongoose
08-26-16, 06:03 PM
Glad I have my shet together.