PDA

View Full Version : Lying in the military

Sparrowhawk
01-28-04, 10:41 AM
The drifter's post, "Unexplained kill zone"

The story of a Marine's parent seeking the truth about the death of his son in a battle zone.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=59750#post59750

Made me think, of incident's that happened in Vietnam in a war zone.

I recall an incident where an Air Force pilot was assigned to us on Hill 65 for a while to observe the war from the grunts point of view. While with us, he received a "Dear John, " letter, and went out with a patrol he hadn't been assigned to go with. Somewhere along the way, he pulled his weapon and shot himself. The report said, he had been killed by an enemy's bullet and that was the end of it.

The story Roger posted speaks about a Marine warrior that understood his job, "On a shopping visit to Tijuana just before shipping out for Iraq, Suarez said, his Marine son bought a statuette of a Guerrero Azteca, or Aztec warrior. "

The military reported that the Marine was killed by an enemy's bullet, while a news reporter wrote that the Marine had stepped on a cluster bomblet, quite possibly an American bomblet.

Since then, the Marine's father, Fernando Suarez said, he hasn't received a straight, formal explanation from the military about his son's death.

``Why would they lie to us?'' he asked, quickly suggesting the answer. ``Because they want the American people to believe Iraq is a threat to our security, that all of our soldiers are being killed by terrorists and only terrorists.''

Oh, if he only knew the bond the American warrior shares in battle. In his own personal quest for answers the father has now become an activist for the anti-war effort.

"Suarez refused to bury his son in a military cemetery, declined posthumous citizenship for his son, and lost his job as a printing shop clerk for missing too much work to speak out against the war. "

While I can't begin to understand a father's grief with the lost of his son in combat, I do understand the death of a Marine warrior, killed by the enemy in a battle zone, killed by the weapons of war.

I honor his son, as a Marine warrior. Killed by the enemy's bullet or by a cluster bomb, even if possible it was one of our own. He was a Marine and if I read between the lines here, the Marines of his unit honored him. That, message send home can only be understood by warriors and those that fight by their side.

Was it a lie?

Does it make a difference?

What is Semper Fi?

Just thinking outloud!

Cook

radio relay
01-29-04, 06:37 PM
So what's the b!tch?!?!

This has been going on since wars have been fought.

It took a stuborn Pima Indian, Ira Hayes, who was there, to get the record straight on the Corps' most honored memorial. The Iwo Jima Memorial. The general's didn't want to admit the Corps had been wrong in misidentifying Harlon Block, as Harry Hansen (Block, is the one kneeling with his back to the camera). Finally, a congressional investigation got to the truth.

I have a lot of problems with these parents who are so damned selfish, that they have to dishonor their children by imposing their own political beliefs on their kids who are serving in the U.S. military. Yes, I know it hurts to lose a child, but how does dishonoring their service help? It was their child's life, not theirs. It was their child's choice, not theirs. They should respect their child by respecting his/her choices!

If I had been killed while in the Marine Corps, in Vietnam, and my parents had pulled the crap that the above father did, I would have not liked it one little bit!!! I'll bet that kid felt the same!

Now, you have these parents going to Iraq and making asses of themselves. Again, I'd never speak to either of my parents again, if they had pulled a stunt like that in Vietnam. It's not love! It's just pure, unadulterated selfishness on the part of those parents! For shame!

SF :marine:

namgrunt
01-30-04, 11:51 PM
I've heard of this fellow, Suarez the father, in recent news reports. He had joined up with the likes of certain celebrities, like Sean Penn, to send a message that the Iraq war is wrong. He is using his son's death as a springboard for the personal amassment of political clout. He is trading his Marine son's honor for crumbs from the anti-US Hollywood crowd. No one can touch his son, LCpl. Jesus Suarez. He is one of us forever, a fallen US Marine.

I wonder if Mr. Suarez understands he has dishonored himself as unworthy of having a US Marine for a son. No one joins the Marines to fight against drugs. That is the pervue of the DEA, not the USMC. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no "anti-drug special forces unit" in the Corps.

Fernando Suarez didn't have the foggiest idea of what a Marine is, nor what we do, nor why we do it. How he could be so self-deluded is beyond me, but it is a shame. The fact that he would allow himself to be used by liberal anti-war organizations for propoganda purposes highlights my impression of him. Fernando is either a naive nearsighted dupe, or he is a sharpminded opportunist who sees a chance to gain political capital from this tragedy. Either way, I have no respect for such a man.

namgrunt