PDA

View Full Version : Gold Medal Olympic Shooter Criticizes California Gun Control..

FoxtrotOscar
08-07-16, 01:59 PM
Speaking from the games in Rio de Janeiro, U.S. Olympic shooter Kim Rhode said she is pro-concealed carry and against the plethora of new gun controls passed by California lawmakers and signed by Governor Jerry Brown (D).http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30759&stc=1
Rhode intimated that some find it strange that an Olympian speaks out on political issues back home, but she believes the times demand it. She said, “I’m definitely becoming more vocal because I see the need.”

We just had six laws that were passed in California that will directly affect me. For example, one of them being an ammunition law. I shoot 500 to 1,000 rounds a day, having to do a background check every time I purchase ammo or when I bring ammo out for a competition or a match – those are very, very challenging for me.

Rhode is referencing the six gun controls Brown signed into law on July 1 (http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/07/03/california-governor-signs-bill-for-surrender-or-disposal-of-high-capacity-gun-magazines/), part of what was referred to as “gunpocalypse.” That legislation included a bill that outlawed the possession of “high capacity” magazines and another which expanded the state’s “assault weapons” ban. It included another bill that requires ammunition purchasers to go through a background check every time they purchase ammunition.

Ammunition background checks will certainly be used to build a database on ammo owners in the same way that California has used firearm purchaser background checks and firearm registration to compile a database on gun owners.

Rhode sees hindrances to freedom at every turn with these new gun laws–not hindrances to criminals, but to law-abiding citizens.

The Guardian asked Rhode about gun control as a response to “mass shootings” and crime in general.

Rhode responded:

When you look at these events that have been occurring, they’ve been occurring in some of the strictest gun law countries in the world. You have Paris, you have San Bernardino, which was actually in a gun-free zone, so, yeah, it’s actually something that you take into consideration.

For me personally, I realize the first responsibility of a police officer is to respond to an incident and for me personally, in that five minutes or 10 minutes or 20 minutes in some cases that it takes for them to get there, how do you want to stand there? I would rather have my second amendment right.

Rhode is a triple gold medalist.

AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and political analyst for Armed American Radio.

Mongoose
08-07-16, 03:37 PM
Good for her. I want her on my team.

Tennessee Top
08-07-16, 05:44 PM
Will get even worse if Hillary gets elected. I don't care what she says (like she ever tells the truth anyways). She will never stop with just high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic rifles. She won't be happy till she gets all our guns. And she'll appoint liberal justices to the Supreme Court to make that easier.

Kegler300
08-07-16, 05:57 PM
The only ones who will have guns when that happens will be the criminals. Law abiding citizens will no longer be able to protect themselves from these criminals, nor will they be able to protect themselves from the government.

FoxtrotOscar
08-07-16, 06:45 PM
Top & Keg have it both absolutely correct..

Mongoose
08-07-16, 06:48 PM
I totally agree.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30763&stc=1

Haddock
08-07-16, 09:24 PM
She makes a lot of sense. I sympathise with her on living in California. I did that for 10 years (79-89) back before the "crazy years". In those days, I was living in the SoCal desert and routinely carried a loaded Kalashnikov under the seat of my pickup (to use on coyotes which were a real problem back then). From what I've read of CA gun control laws, I have no desire to go there any time soon.

It was also nice to see the first gold medal of the Olympics went to a 19-year-old woman for shooting.

FoxtrotOscar
08-07-16, 09:57 PM
America doesn't have a gun problem, we have a Politician Problem...!!!

oldtop
08-08-16, 02:10 PM
FO got that RIGHT, for sure.... of course, coming from someone that LIKES guns, immediately makes her a "gun nut" to the antis and the media.... heaven help us if Hitlery gets elected, gun owners will be in for a hard row to hoe, if she appoints another liberal anti gunner to the SCOUS, we're really screwed.....

Old Marine
08-08-16, 05:09 PM
I have been reading on LN now for years that they are coming after everyone's guns. I know where there is a couple they haven't picked up yet, but then I do not broadcast every chance I get.

Haddock
08-08-16, 05:23 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunny068
08-09-16, 11:21 AM
I don't live in Ca....but sometime I don't understand their thought process.....

My absolute favorite is. You can own and shoot (with restricted mag) a M14 Style rifle....with a Muzzel Brake....NOT the original Flash Suppressor with Bayonet lug, so the thinking here is the Bayonet is more dangerous than the rifle itself?

Just Stupid.

FoxtrotOscar
08-09-16, 11:40 AM
Gunny068, your pictured with an M1A1, are you a competitive shooter..???

Gunny068
08-09-16, 01:38 PM
Well Yes and No...LOL

I did before I retired shot quite a few comps, been to Camp Perry many times shooting the "14" Last time I was in the same relay as the "Other" Gunny

Mostly service rifle and pistol.

Not so much now, just shootin at paper.....:cool:

Haddock
08-09-16, 02:38 PM
The bayonet lug (or fixed mounting) is one of 4 "distinctive features" CA uses to define an "assualt weapon" (no, selective fire is NOT one of them). The other three are a pistol grip, detachable magazine, and flash suppressor. Last I knew, you could have 2 of the 4 (in any combination) and be okay.

This is why the AR15 in california has the "california magazines". Technically, by the law, you have to have a tool to detach the magazine. So there is a button in the middle of the mag release that must be depressed with a tool to detach the magazine. Most people use the tip of a round to press the button, which drops the mag, the bullet nose being the "tool".

It's all politics and engineering. They write a law, the engineers find ways around it.

FoxtrotOscar
08-09-16, 05:45 PM
Yep, good old POLY - TICKS....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30771&stc=1

Kegler300
08-09-16, 05:49 PM
Yep, good old POLY - TICKS....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30771&stc=1

Ha-ha! What a perfect description!