PDA

View Full Version : Question about deployment

Johyou1996
07-05-16, 12:58 PM
Good afternoon devil dogs, so I am finishing up my mos school and I'm going to be at my unit [soon]. My friend is in the same unit, they are deploying to Iraq right after I get there like within a month of me getting there. Do you think I'll be going on that deployment? I just want to be sure so I don't bring my vehicle down there untill I get back and just to be prepared.

silveradomick
07-05-16, 01:16 PM
OPSEC there killer. Not a good idea to discuss when and where a unit is deploying on an open forum. Pre-deployment work up schedule and info should likewise be guarded. Best advice I can give you is to leave your car at home and find out when you get to your unit if you'll be deploying with them or not. Or have your buddy ask for you.

FoxtrotOscar
07-05-16, 01:19 PM
Honestly, the only one that can answer that question is someone within that Unit..

Most likely, YES, your a replacement scheduled for deployment...

Unit's will usually have or provide a storage area for POV's..

That's about the best I can tell you...

Best of luck... Stay safe - But give 'em hell....!!!

FO

madsox
07-05-16, 01:45 PM
Helping out a new brother, I took out the specific date from the original post. Like silverado said, remember OPSEC.

But good to see a new face on the board, hang out when you can and make yourself to home, Marine!

s/f

Johyou1996
07-05-16, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Tennessee Top
07-05-16, 02:37 PM
Speaking of storage for deployment. A SSgt at Camp LeJeune recently returned from deployment only to find the boat he had stored inside a secured storage lot on base had been stolen! No security cameras so no leads.

Here's my advice. After you report in, look into "Renter's Insurance" from USAA - whether you end up getting deployed or not. It's only about $12.00 or $14.00 a month and covers both your civilian and military gear (including while deployed). Believe me, lots of Marines in the fleet regret not being covered (theft is a big problem no matter where you go).

Good luck Devil.

Million21
08-07-16, 02:25 PM
Last time I left they had some civilians come and they had these big ass boxes and you throw all your crap that your not bringing with you in there. They'll give you a little sheet accounting for all your gear, dont lose that chit. Apparently they kept it in some big warehouse idk civis and fishing poles can be replaced so dont fall in love with your stuff all I can say.

Million21
08-07-16, 02:26 PM
And with the vehicle since your fresh to the unit you probably dont know any guys staying back that can watch your car, id say keep it home until you have forsure word like the gents above me already stated.