PDA

View Full Version : Social Media can effect "Security Clearance"....

FoxtrotOscar
07-05-16, 08:43 AM
Q. Can my security clearance be revoked or denied because of what I post on social media?

A. The short answer is yes.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper signed Security Executive Agent Directive 5 in May that allows investigators to analyze information posted publicly on social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, as part of security clearance background checks.

Directive 5 allows investigators to collect and use publicly available social media information to aid them in deciding whether to issue an initial security clearance or grant continued eligibility for security clearance.

The directive does not, however, require that agencies use this investigative tool and, thus, agencies will decide whether to implement Directive 5 on an agency-by-agency basis. Under Directive 5, investigators will not be able to request or require applicants to relinquish passwords to private social media accounts nor access applicants' private accounts through a third party that may have access to them.

The decision whether to grant, deny or revoke a security clearance is determined by the “whole person concept.” This means investigators will make a decision about an applicant’s conduct, behavior and trustworthiness based on various factors after considering numerous sources of information.

Information gathered from an applicant’s public social media presence will not be used individually to make a decision but will rather be used in conjunction with Standard Form 86 when deciding whether to grant, deny or revoke a security clearance.

***Note***

Continued reading here:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/advice/ask-the-lawyer/2016/07/03/can-my-social-media-posts-hurt-my-security-clearance/86512218/