PDA

View Full Version : Chances of waiver being approved?

PA101
06-24-16, 11:05 PM
Ok so I figure there is nobody who can tell me for sure whether or not my waiver will be approved but I was hoping to poll some of you Marines who may have experience either with your own waiver or a fellow Marine's waiver.

So I dislocated my patella about 18 months ago. It was caused by blunt force not some tear in my ligaments. The day after I had full ROM in my leg/knee and I went through PT extremely fast as I understand and was cleared by my doc in under 2 months.

I have not had any trouble with it since and am active on at least a moderate level 5+ days per week. I also scored an 87 on my ASVAB if that would have any influence on the likelihood of a waiver being issued.

I explained all of this to the doctors at MEPs and all of the documentation I have compiled would attest to the fact that I'm fully healed and this was likely a one time freak incident.

The one doc said she would give me a recomendation and pass up a waiver for me to whoever gets it I guess.

Any input/ experiences are much appreciated.

PA101
06-24-16, 11:41 PM
Also around how long would it take? I've seen some saying 3-6 months. I would like to make arrangements to take classes in the fall of it wont have a decision until then.

Zulu 36
06-25-16, 02:30 AM
If your waiver has to go to BUMED, three to six months is not an unusual wait time.

Your ASVAB score may have some bearing at the recruiting district level, but BUMED pays no attention to it.

PA101
06-25-16, 02:37 AM
If your waiver has to go to BUMED, three to six months is not an unusual wait time.

Your ASVAB score may have some bearing at the recruiting district level, but BUMED pays no attention to it.

What would make it go to BUMED? And to the best of your knowledge can docs at MEPS send a waiver or does it have to be from me/ my recruiter? I don't really understand the process. And thank you for your answers sir. I'm trying to evaluate my options short term as in next 6 months atm so I really appreciate it.

Zulu 36
06-25-16, 02:49 AM
The MEPS doctors decide whether a waiver has to go higher (to BUMED). They have guidelines they follow. The more positive documentation you have from your civilian doctors, the better the chances of your waiver staying at the MEPS level, but there are no guarantees.

As far as sending a waiver, it would start at the recruiter level, probably after MEPS had a look at you and your personal physician's letters.

Too many variables to be certain what will happen.

But even if your waiver was approved quickly, you likely aren't going anywhere quickly. You'll probably be in DEP for a while, certainly more than six-months. This is something you need to discuss with your recruiter.

PA101
06-25-16, 09:51 AM
The MEPS doctors decide whether a waiver has to go higher (to BUMED). They have guidelines they follow. The more positive documentation you have from your civilian doctors, the better the chances of your waiver staying at the MEPS level, but there are no guarantees.

As far as sending a waiver, it would start at the recruiter level, probably after MEPS had a look at you and your personal physician's letters.

Too many variables to be certain what will happen.

But even if your waiver was approved quickly, you likely aren't going anywhere quickly. You'll probably be in DEP for a while, certainly more than six-months. This is something you need to discuss with your recruiter.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I'm going to contact my recruiter today about getting a waiver started to move the process forward. I'm kind of bummed as I was hoping to ship out to basic around February/ March but I hope that may still be an option.

USMC 2571
06-25-16, 10:01 AM
Keep us updated here, please, about how things turn out and what the recruiter says. Good luck to you.

Tennessee Top
06-25-16, 01:44 PM
Just so you know. Marines go to bootcamp. Soldiers go to basic training. You need to understand the difference. Your recruiter can explain if they need to.

PA101
06-26-16, 10:13 AM
Just so you know. Marines go to bootcamp. Soldiers go to basic training. You need to understand the difference. Your recruiter can explain if they need to.

I do. It's just whenever I talk with my recruiter/ other Marines, basic is what's referred to as well as bootcamp when talking about shipping out or what's to come in my future should I decide to enlist. I was looking into going infantry so maybe thats why. But I have heard it referred to as both.

Tennessee Top
06-26-16, 12:03 PM
Marines call bootcamp basic now? Well...guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's all getting to be about the same today anyways.