PDA

View Full Version : Question about MEPs process

PA101
06-23-16, 07:09 PM
Ok so I'm trying to join the marines and have been for months. I had to compile all sorts of paperwork for my knee injury that I had awhile back. I went through MEPs last week but just for my physical. So my question is...

After I get my waiver and am able to enlist will I have to redo my physical/ blood and urine tests? I ask because I don't like needles and had must've got stage fright or something going in front of the guy in the bathroom. It took 2 tries to get it out lol.

But yeah will I have to redo all that stuff or will I be able to go straight to picking my MOS and then swearing in? Any insight is appreciated.

silveradomick
06-23-16, 07:21 PM
You'd better get used to being a pincushion and peeing in front of people. It's difficult at first, but if you make it in you'll find that there's little privacy and inoculations are done by the numbers, assembly line style.

Grit your teeth and don't watch them with the needle, and drink lots and lots of water in the hours prior to any **** test.

Tennessee Top
06-23-16, 07:26 PM
Bootcamp processing week:http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/rvanclea/USMC/17378ed3-2b7c-46ce-b6fc-0f66cbb0fe74.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/rvanclea/media/USMC/17378ed3-2b7c-46ce-b6fc-0f66cbb0fe74.jpg.html)

PA101
06-23-16, 07:33 PM
I'm not afraid of needles and the pain was a non issue since it was a tiny pinch. I just don't like the idea of needles ever since I was like 8 and a nurse stuck me like 5 times before she found the vein and it turned my elbow area purple for a week.
I also want to enlist and get my ship date ASAP so I know if i should take classes this fall or not.

I also know I'll have to visit MEPs again before I ship out, whenever that comes. I'm just wondering if I'll have to go back and do the whole day again when I pick my MOS and swear in.

Kegler300
06-23-16, 07:34 PM
Do they still give that penicillin shot in the butt in boot camp? 30469

PA101
06-23-16, 08:10 PM
Also around how long does it take to get a waiver?

Phantom Blooper
06-23-16, 08:11 PM
Do they still give that penicillin shot in the butt in boot camp? http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30469&d=1466728451

I thought that was the Gamma globulin shot Keg?

Kegler300
06-23-16, 08:21 PM
That's what they called it during Desert Storm ... like a golf ball injected into your ass cheek.

silveradomick
06-23-16, 08:27 PM
As of June 2000 they did.

The ones that really ****ed me off were the pre-deployment anthrax vaccine that was never approved by the FDA and was later banned from use. I got 7 of them. Come to find out later that they weren't supposed to be mandatory. God only knows what that crap did to our bodies. Nothing like being experimented on without knowledge. I know a lot of you Vietnam era guys know exactly what I mean.

Tennessee Top
06-23-16, 11:09 PM
That's what they called it during Desert Storm ... like a golf ball injected into your ass cheek.

Yes. They call it the "peanut butter shot". Because it feels like a big ole lump of peanut butter in your butt cheek! Difficult to sit on for a couple days.

madsox
06-24-16, 11:25 AM
I don't know anything about picking your MOS, that part of things is after my time, but you (probably) shouldn't have to do that initial physical again before you go, OP.

You will, if you hadn't caught the hints here, have plenty more shots and probes and "turn your head and cough" times through boot camp, any time you deploy to someplace new, and whenever there are some new Corpsmen who need practice taking blood or giving shots (I swear I had at least a couple of times when that was the real reason we had some round of injections or other)...

You'll get over your dislike of needles.

Also, remember to capitalize Marines, and remember we're not "guys" (common mistakes new friends/poolees make, just to help ya out).

Good luck!