PDA

View Full Version : 10 commandments for all of us

marine6551
06-22-16, 12:08 AM
this is a condendensd version- but many of you can read them for yourself in god's holy bible when you have time.[b]he 10 Commandments List in Exodus 20:2-17

1. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
2.“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
3.“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
“You shall not murder.
“You shall not commit adultery.
“You shall not steal.
“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s."

the reason i'm posting this is because god laid it upon my heart to share with all of you, as all of you are not only my marine brothers and sisters, but as god-fearing and god-loving christians like myself, i hope and pray all of us will meet eaxh other when christ returns in the near future to collect his believers in the air and he takes us to the kingdom of god he will establish in israel and all of us will sit at the king's table as he will prepare a feast for all of us to enjoy fellowship with god, christ and one another.
therefore, i hope all of you treat this like a christmas list; check it once and check it twice.
if you have broken 1 or more commandments, only you and god know , so now is the time to open your mouth and profess to god what you have done wrong, asking him to forgive you while he's still giving you the time.]/b]

Tennessee Top
06-22-16, 07:52 AM
Not a god-fearing and god-loving christian, like yourself (many Marines aren't), but not offended by this being posted either. Some will be. Whatever floats your boat. It's all good.

marine6551
06-22-16, 01:49 PM
Not a god-fearing and god-loving christian, like yourself (many Marines aren't), but not offended by this being posted either. Some will be. Whatever floats your boat. It's all good.brother rollie, thanks for the feedback, as i didn't intend to offend anyone, just sharing what god put on my heart.
sempers!:thumbup:

Tennessee Top
06-22-16, 02:30 PM
I know you didn't intend to offend anyone. But you must realize, people are going to be offended. Some will even send emails to Gary complaining. You can bank on it.

chulaivet1966
06-22-16, 02:39 PM
brother rollie, thanks for the feedback, as i didn't intend to offend anyone,

IMO....

I don't think 'offend' is the right word regarding Tennessee Top's response to your post in deciding to evangelize to the forum.
"Annoy" might be a better choice of words that some would feel or even choose express on an open forum.

As T/Top states....'whatever floats your boat'.

Me....I'm not offended by any words, on any subject, by anyone.
If someone is actually offended by any words of disagreement that just tells me they aren't totally comfortable with their own thoughts or beliefs.

That's my take on it...back to topic....a good day to all.

EDIT: T/Top...I'm going to be surprised if someone actually makes a big deal of this. I'd guess some will actually perpetuate the subject....but, I've been wrong in the past.

marine6551
06-22-16, 06:21 PM
IMO....

I don't think 'offend' is the right word regarding Tennessee Top's response to your post in deciding to evangelize to the forum.
"Annoy" might be a better choice of words that some would feel or even choose express on an open forum.

As T/Top states....'whatever floats your boat'.

Me....I'm not offended by any words, on any subject, by anyone.
If someone is actually offended by any words of disagreement that just tells me they aren't totally comfortable with their own thoughts or beliefs.

That's my take on it...back to topic....a good day to all.

EDIT: T/Top...I'm going to be surprised if someone actually makes a big deal of this. I'd guess some will actually perpetuate the subject....but, I've been wrong in the past.duly noted brother wayne, sometimes if certain words annoy someone, that could also mean they have a deep-rooted anxiety or fea of the subject-have a great day and may god bless all of us... next topic please.

chulaivet1966
06-23-16, 09:54 AM
duly noted brother wayne, sometimes if certain words annoy someone, that could also mean they have a deep-rooted anxiety or fea of the subject-have a great day and may god bless all of us... next topic please.

Reveille....:)

Well....that's not how I see it.

I'd go out on a limb and state that no one here disagrees with:
"Honor your father and your mother, murder, adultery, stealing, not bear false witness".
Those are just common sense behaviors we are all expected to abide by in a (dare I say) civilized society.

My take on your post being overtly 'annoying' to some was linked to you evangelizing in general....not your words that I reiterated above.

It's an open forum for anyone to speak as they wish.
One can respectfully join in on your conversation or ignore and move on....no big deal to me.

I felt I owed you a response and an honest clarification of my take on it after Tennessee Top's comment.

Carry on....a good day to all....

marine6551
06-23-16, 07:51 PM
I know you didn't intend to offend anyone. But you must realize, people are going to be offended. Some will even send emails to Gary complaining. You can bank on it.at least you ; rocky and a few others understand my intentions...offended can often times equal guilty feelings.:angel:

Kegler300
06-23-16, 08:00 PM
In my humble opinion, God wrote these 10 Commandants not to condemn us, but to remind us of our sinfulness. These Commandants don't save us, but remind us of God's mercy and our need for salvation.

marine6551
06-23-16, 08:26 PM
you said it brother; thanks for the excellent feedback!:thumbup:

silverdollar
06-24-16, 05:26 AM
Maybe we need a Jesus forum? then if I want to be preached at, it will be up to me.

LitLover84
06-24-16, 08:52 AM
. . .offended can often times equal guilty feelings.:angel:

Not necessarily. Most know that you meant well with posting this. The 10 Commandments represent a basic code of conduct that many in our Judeo-Christian culture have accepted regardless of their level or extent of belief in Christianity.

The offense can sometimes come, however, from a desire to not be preached at or from previous less than stellar experiences with bodies of faith and the people who attend them. The bad taste left in one's mouth can often be refreshed by encountering posts like this.

Also regarding your "offense = feelings of guilt" equation, folks who are atheist or agnostic most often don't have that sense of guilt because they don't believe in the system that says they have some type of supernatural or cosmic guilt assigned to them for specific behaviors or actions. They don't buy it, so the shame/guilt complex doesn't work on them the same way it does for believers.

Hopefully, no one throws a fit or gets bent out of shape by your post. Obviously, you meant well, but it may not be welcome or well received by some for various reasons.

marine6551
06-24-16, 10:33 AM
Maybe we need a Jesus forum? then if I want to be preached at, it will be up to me.not really brother george; like this form, there's plenty of god and jesus forums for us believers to join and talk about the same thing.so, it's all good.
i wish you a great day and evening.:thumbup:

marine6551
06-24-16, 11:41 PM
oh well; all i know is many christians are supposed to plant the seed of god's word and let god take care of the rest of it, and all i can do at this point is to fogive those who don't/ didn't appreciate anything i have said, as i am very humble in the area od forgiveness.
have a great day and evening.

chulaivet1966
06-25-16, 12:16 PM
Also regarding your "offense = feelings of guilt" equation, folks who are atheist or agnostic most often don't have that sense of guilt because they don't believe in the system that says they have some type of supernatural or cosmic guilt assigned to them for specific behaviors or actions. They don't buy it, so the shame/guilt complex doesn't work on them the same way it does for believers.

Correct....and I'm in that fold that you note above.

Just thought I chime in and say your post was well articulated.

A good day to all.....back to it.

marine6551
06-25-16, 03:00 PM
point duly noted; guess you can throw the dice and see what happens, so why do so many, especially those who are agnostic, etc, call on god when faced with danger such as an imminent car crash or a passenger plane takes a sudden dive to earth from a downdraft? maybe you shouldn't ask for his help if you think you're about to die, unless death scares you anyway.

LitLover84
06-27-16, 01:06 PM
so why do so many, especially those who are agnostic, etc, call on god when faced with danger such as an imminent car crash or a passenger plane takes a sudden dive to earth from a downdraft? maybe you shouldn't ask for his help if you think you're about to die, unless death scares you anyway.

IF an agnostic or an atheist were to call out to God in a moment of crisis, I would guess it would be due to each of us in Western society being socialized by and within a largely Judeo-Christian culture. This socialization establishes God as the go-to for help, deliverance, etc. I could see an agnostic doing this more than an atheist. Agnostics don't profess belief or disbelief, saying we can't know for sure if God does or does not exist. Atheists, however, profess that there is no deity/higher power.

Ultimately, in a crisis, people often revert to something they have long been taught is a foundational concept of their world. I know some Catholics who pray to Mary or a specific saint in times of crisis. A Hindu might cry out to Brahma, Vishnu, or whoever their favorite deity might be. This appears in many famous ancient Hindu texts/literatures. The Greeks and Romans called upon whichever deity they a) were loyal to, b) was most likely to help, or c) was best equipped to help. We see this time and again in Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey as well as in Virgil's The Aeneid.

As I see it, the appeal to a higher power for help or salvation (physical or spiritual) doesn't confirm that particular deity's existence or non-existence, only the person's possible foundational cultural ideas/concepts.

As for the "unless death scares you" comment, I don't see anything wrong with being afraid or apprehensive of death. It's something unknown. Something that we can't know without first experiencing it. There are no research/interview-someone-who's-been-there-done-that options. The unknown can and does unsettle/frighten us sometimes. I'd suggest that we're biologically wired that way as it tends to give us a better chance of survival. I've met believers as well as atheists who don't fear dying. I've also met folks from both groups who do fear it. It seems to be an individual outlook/mindset issue.

Mongoose
06-28-16, 07:42 AM
Great post, Mandi.

Tennessee Top
06-28-16, 01:29 PM
Extremely educational! I learned I'm agnostic today...my dog tags always just read "no preference".

madsox
06-28-16, 03:34 PM
Mandi's showing off her big brain again!

Wish I could get me some of that edumacation stuff, it seems to be popular these days. Then I'd look up who it was who said "there are no atheists in foxholes" - not quite true, but I do get the point.

Me, I'm religious in my own way. Glad we can discuss it here without going all apesh!t on each other, too!

s/f, out

chulaivet1966
06-28-16, 04:33 PM
IF an agnostic or an atheist were to call out to God in a moment of crisis, I would guess it would be due to each of us in Western society being socialized by and within a largely Judeo-Christian culture.

Along with your other detailed comments....

The 'call out to God' you note above has long been a common figure of speech expressed in a myriad emotionally dramatic, animated responses and situations.

IE: extreme sadness, utter disgust, grief and sorrow, pain, joy, surprise and others I'd guess.

That phrase may rarely mean one is actually calling out to some supernatural entity adhering to any given belief system.

Back to it....

LitLover84
06-28-16, 05:06 PM
Mandi's showing off her big brain again!

Wish I could get me some of that edumacation stuff, it seems to be popular these days. Then I'd look up who it was who said "there are no atheists in foxholes" - not quite true, but I do get the point.

Me, I'm religious in my own way. Glad we can discuss it here without going all apesh!t on each other, too!

s/f, out

Hah! Hardly, Andy. I had required courses in college that covered this stuff. I just went to class and paid attention.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I too fall into the category of "religious in my own way," and it IS good to see a discussion over this that doesn't end in a flame war. It's possible to discuss or even disagree without the fireworks.

The 'call out to God' you note above has long been a common figure of speech expressed in a myriad emotionally dramatic, animated responses and situations.
IE: extreme sadness, utter disgust, grief and sorrow, pain, joy, surprise and others I'd guess.
That phrase may rarely mean one is actually calling out to some supernatural entity adhering to any given belief system.

Good point, Chulaivet. Great everyday example I hadn't considered.

cple4ed
06-29-16, 10:05 AM
if only we could get the Elite fools in thr ACLU to leave us alone & stay out of our religion(what-ever it is)the country would be a lot better off

marine6551
06-29-16, 01:24 PM
if only we could get the Elite fools in thr ACLU to leave us alone & stay out of our religion(what-ever it is)the country would be a lot better offagreed; the ACLU suck green donkey weenies tying up peoples' money and court time onpetty lawsuits, and like the IRS, should be abolished altogether.:thumbup:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30539&stc=1

LitLover84
06-30-16, 09:50 AM
Your image that reads "Real Men Pray Everyday"

I've never been one to buy into the whole "Real Man vs. Man/boy/take your pick" argument. Had a male friend of mine tell me a while back that ultimately, there is no "real man" category. You're either a man, or you're not. 'Cause what's the implied opposite of "real"? A fake man? He talked about how most of the time people use the image of the "real man" to bolster or support whatever attribute, virtue, or course of action they think is most fitting for a man. I could see his point.

I know men who do pray regularly. I also know male human beings who pray regularly who I would in no way consider to be "men" due to significant and persistent flaws in their character/behavior/mindset. Same goes for women, though we don't use this same "real woman" language game to define what authentic womanhood is/does like we do with manhood/masculinity.

I would suggest that manhood or womanhood is defined and lived by having/developing character, principles, honesty, responsibility, loyalty, compassion, a sense of justice, and a willingness to work hard. Extras are often tacked on to either one to adjust for gender expectations, but I think those are the essentials or core of each. Faith (and the public or private exercising of it) can be a part of that but isn't required.