PDA

View Full Version : Family of AR-15 Inventor: He Didn't Intend It for Civilians

Rocky C
06-16-16, 10:54 AM
The AR-15 is the most talked about gun in America.

But the AR-15's creator died before the weapon became a popular hit and his family has never spoken out.

Until now.

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," the Stoner family told NBC News late Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

The inventor's surviving children and adult grandchildren spoke exclusively to MSNBC by phone and email, commenting for the first time on their family's uneasy legacy. They requested individual anonymity in order to speak freely about such a sensitive topic. They also stopped short of policy prescriptions or legal opinions.

But their comments add unprecedented context to their father's creation, shedding new light on his intentions and adding firepower to the effort to ban weapons like the AR-15. The comments could also bolster a groundbreaking new lawsuit, which argues that the weapon is a tool of war — never intended for civilians.

Eugene Stoner would have agreed, his family said.

The ex-Marine and "avid sportsman, hunter and skeet shooter" never used his invention for sport. He also never kept it around the house for personal defense. In fact, he never even owned one and though he made millions from the design, his family said it was all from military sales.

"After many conversations with him, we feel his intent was that he designed it as a military rifle," his family said, explaining that Stoner was focused on making the most efficient and superior rifle possible for the military."

He designed the original AR-15 in the late 1950s, working on it in his own garage and later as the chief designer for ArmaLite, a then small company in southern California. He made it light and powerful and he fashioned a new bullet for it — a .223 caliber round capable of piercing a metal helmet at 500 yards.

The Army loved it and famously renamed it the M16.

But after Stoner's death in 1997, at the age of 74, a semi-automatic version of the AR-15 became a civilian bestseller, too, spawning dozens of copy-cat weapons. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling it "America's rifle."

The bullets that tore through the Pulse nightclub in Orlando were Stoner's .223 rounds, fired from a AR-15 spin off made by Sig Sauer.

In all, an AR-15 style rifle has been used in at least 10 recent mass shootings — including at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and a work party in San Bernardino, California.

"What has happened, good or bad, since his patents have expired is a result of our free market system," Stoner's family said. "Currently, a more interesting question is 'Who now is benefiting from the manufacturing and sales of AR-15s, and for what uses?'"

That's the question for the rest of us.

silveradomick
06-16-16, 11:04 AM
I want to know when PERSONAL security and safety became the absolute baliwick of the federal government to ensure. Sure, regulatory agencies (like the FDA) are necessary, but I don't see where it's the job of the federal government to make sure people are safe from harm while they go about their daily lives. PERSONAL security should be a PERSONAL responsibility. And the federal government already ensures that we as individuals have the ability to secure ourselves, which is part of why the second amendment was written in the first place.

Hammer
06-16-16, 11:52 AM
I don't own an AR-15; however I am familiar with it, and didn't like it because of some problems. I am however well acquainted with one of Stoners weapons re; Stoner 63 weapons system, which was used by various Marine Corps recon and MacVSog teams. I believe OLDTOP was familiar with it as well.

With that said, I don't believe they should be restricted for purchase. One never knows when there may be a need for one.

FoxtrotOscar
06-16-16, 12:10 PM
I don't see a problem with owning one... Over the years they have corrected all of the initial problems encountered...

It's just another semi-auto weapon like a .22 or many other types of firearms: Pistol's, Rifles and Shotguns come in semi-auto...

oldtop
06-16-16, 02:36 PM
Upon reading the above the ARTICLE, I find a number of GLARING MISSTATEMENTS and MISCONCEPTIONS..... for example, "the AR15 is a tool of war, never intended for civilians"... WRONG, the AR 15 IS the "civilian version" of the M16, developed AFTER the M16's adoption, and sold EXCLUSIVELY to the "civilian" market.. as was Stoner's AR180 (also .223 cal / 5.56mm ) based on the AR18, the STONER M63 weapons System mentioned by Hammer 3; as for the so called "concern" for our military, that is a sorry excuse for what was fielded to US MARINES in Vietnam in January 1967, a weapon that could not fire three consecutive rounds without jamming, no chrome bore, no chrome chamber, no forward assist, no cleaning gear, magazines that failed if loaded to their full 20 round capacity...all in all, a real PIECE OF USELESS JUNK in combat and THAT is from Personal Experience... the "500 yard helmet piercing capability" is also bunk, the rifle was initially issued with a maximum effective range capability of 300 meters (about 330 yards), coincidentally, the same max effective range as the AK47's 7.62 x 39 round... Stoner had pushed his AR10 concept rifle against the M14 in the early 50'S, and it became the AR15 IN THE 60'S.. before his death, Stoner worked with KNIGHT's Armament on the SR25, a "modernization" of the AR10 for use as a "sniper and/or DMR" weapon for use in Iraq and Afghanistan .... ANOTHER DISMAL FAIL, IMHO, because it does NOTHING better than the M$) for snipers or the M21/M25 version of the M14 for DMR... a "sniper" rifle like the SR25 that "drifts away from zero" if the rate of fire exceeds 1 round in 40 seconds is a failure... Stoner made a fortune from his weapon designs, and kept his family fed as well as provided for them nicely in all probability....his weapon designs were aimed at the MILITARY because MILITARY ACCEPTANCE INSURES CIVILLIAN SALES, and THAT, my friends is what makes MONEY.... as an old Gunnery Sergeant weapons instructor once told me, "you should ALWAYS have at least ONE rifle and one pistol in the CURRENT US MILITARY CALIBER" that way ammo will always be available in some way, shape, or form.....
funny how right up to the end of his life, STONER would not make the one simple change that would have made his AR1- and AR15 weapon systems 95% reliable in all climates and conditions (as opposed to the CURRENT 50%) which simply required a change to the gas system... I don't crap where I eat, and neither should your weapon of choice.... In any case, the entire article smacks of BS, and a bit of "wealthy liberals" biting the hand that feeds /or fed them.... remember THE WEAPON OF CHOICE IS IRREVELANT, A DEDICATED MASS MURDERER INTENT ON KILLING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE BEFORE DIEING HIMSELF WILL ALWAYS SUCCEED .....

FoxtrotOscar
06-16-16, 02:42 PM
Top, your response is excellent...

You definitely nailed all of the Lefty BS and their play with the semantics...

Great job Marine... KUDOS... :beer:

FO

oldtop
06-16-16, 02:43 PM
Remember, GUN CONTROL IS PEOPLE CONTROL... I Love My COUNTRY, but I FEAR the GOVERNMENT... YOU should too...

FoxtrotOscar
06-16-16, 03:21 PM
Look around and "SEE" how many firearms are duplicated and made to be look-a-likes for there ability to sell with public appeal...

Mongoose
06-16-16, 04:56 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30422&stc=1

FoxtrotOscar
06-16-16, 05:11 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30424&stc=1

FoxtrotOscar
06-16-16, 07:14 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30425&stc=1

Tennessee Top
06-16-16, 10:20 PM
There is a youtube video showing an Army Sgt on a range firing line trying to load his magazine UPSIDE DOWN. His shooting instructor is going ape $hit! Sgt's excuse? "I am a reservist Sarge"!!!

oldtop
06-17-16, 09:19 AM
I have definitely been "down that road" Rollie... had an OIC tell me that garbage... told him that "they are MARINES, and I will TREAT them like MARINES" .... argument OVER and WON...

FoxtrotOscar
06-17-16, 11:22 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30426&stc=1

2 Marine Mom
06-18-16, 12:17 AM
You guys are so correct. Love the hammer, thing!! so when are they gonna stop sales of assult hammers??? those can also kill, in the wrong hands. In the wrong hands, a bebee gun can be deadly!! us gun lovers know that. hope I can get one before they are baned. can't fix stupid!!! or educate them. later, gang. Deb