PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant Major at Parris Island fired in wake of recruit's boot camp death

Rocky C
06-09-16, 09:55 AM
The Marine Corps has fired another leader at its East Coast recruit training depot this week — the second in connection to an investigation into a recruit's death during boot camp.

Sgt. Maj. Nicholas Deabreu, the top enlisted leader with Recruit Training Regiment at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, was fired Monday, said Capt. Gregory Carrol, a Parris Island spokesman.

Col. Paul Cucinotta, the training regiment's commanding officer, was also relieved Monday. The Marine Corps issued a press release about that relief. It's not immediately clear why Deabreu's dismissal was not included in the release.

Both were dismissed by Maj. Gen. James Lukeman, the head of Training and Education Command after an investigation into the March 18 death of Raheel Siddiqui found instances in which proper policies and procedures were not being followed, Carrol said.

Siddiqui, 20, fell 40 feet to his death 11 days after starting boot camp. The incident prompted two investigations — one at the command level and another by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

The Siddiqui family's congresswoman, Rep. Debbie Dingell, a Democrat from Michigan, has pressed the Marine Corps for more details on the recruit's death. She is concerned that hazing was a factor.

Brig. Gen. David Furness, the commandant’s legislative assistant, wrote to her Monday, stressing that "any indication of hazing will be carefully investigated."

A day before Siddiqui's death, Cucinotta relieved Lt. Col. Joshua Kissoon, commanding officer of Parris Island's 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, for alleged misconduct. While Dingell asked for confirmation that it was not tied to Siddiqui's time at boot camp, Furness wrote in his letter that the two matters were unrelated.

Nabih Ayad, a lawyer representing Siddiqui's family, told the Detroit Free Press that the recruit fainted just before his death, and that a trainer revived him by smacking him. When Siddiqui woke up, he ran and jumped over a ladderwell wall to fall three stories to his death. His family does not believe it was intentional.

The command and NCIS investigations are still ongoing.

Deabreu became the Recruit Training Regiment's sergeant major in April 2015. He previously served as the top enlisted leader with the Romania-based Black Sea Rotational Force and had completed a tour as a drill instructor at Parris Island earlier in his career.

Tennessee Top
06-09-16, 02:06 PM
Hazing in bootcamp (or the fleet for that matter) with a name like Raheel Siddiqui? No way...

DI's swear to an officer they'll do no such thinghttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/rvanclea/USMC/ba291632-67d1-41cc-a3ce-d101ec941c87.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/rvanclea/media/USMC/ba291632-67d1-41cc-a3ce-d101ec941c87.jpg.html)

Kegler300
06-09-16, 05:43 PM
I wonder what happened to the DI's?

MunkyVsRobot
06-09-16, 06:45 PM
They are just slaying recruit training staff there. They fired a Col, Lt. Col and a Sgt Maj over there.. They arent messing around.

oldtop
06-10-16, 10:20 AM
looks like they are sacrificing the leadership at PIRD to appease the family of the dead recruit.... too much fear of retaliation or "congressional investigation".... as for "hazing", there is no time for that kind of garbage in boot camp, you have to be a member of the group (which a recruit is NOT) in order to be "hazed" when joining said group.. sounds to me like the kid passed out during training, was revived, and while still disoriented, thought he was still training, got up and ran to the ladderwell and jumped over the rail..... it happens, not often, but such things DO happen.... no need to go stirring up innuendo by making a big deal over the recruit having an "Islamic name"..., which is what I believe is being done here....

fl1946
06-10-16, 02:01 PM
What's with all the terminations? Generals are acting like prairie dogs in heat sacrificing senior leadership to appease the gods. I'd like to review these people's previous fitness reports. If they show a history of trainee abuse, they deserve to be fired. But this sounds like an overly zealous politician on a power trip to destroy careers. Chesty Puller or General Mattis would never allow this kind sophomoric behavior belittle the ranks of our Corps.

I think I'm upset... :mad:

Old Marine
06-10-16, 03:32 PM
Hazing in bootcamp (or the fleet for that matter) with a name like Raheel Siddiqui? No way...

DI's swear to an officer they'll do no such thinghttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/rvanclea/USMC/ba291632-67d1-41cc-a3ce-d101ec941c87.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/rvanclea/media/USMC/ba291632-67d1-41cc-a3ce-d101ec941c87.jpg.html)

What exactly is it that these Drill Instructors are swearing to, and in front of every worm in their platoon.

If it is that they will never haze a recruit in any way, good luck to The Marine Corps in finding people that will be worth a damn as Drill Instructors. If this is true,its no wonder the caliber of the ones who stand on the parade ground and graduate has went downhill in a heartbeat.

Really glad that I retired when I did. Won't be long before the worms will be calling their Drill Instructors by their first names, if it isn't going on already. Just unbelieveable.

MunkyVsRobot
06-10-16, 05:40 PM
I thought hazing was authorized aboard MCRD?

MCO 1700.28B c. Hazing does not include command-authorized or operational activities; the requisite training to prepare for such missions or operations; verbal counseling addressing performance or coriduct deficiencies; administrative corrective measures; properly administered Extra Military Instruction (EMI) 1-1 Enclosure ( 1) MCO 1700.28B 20 May 2013 (see subparagraph 2e and 2f below); athletic events; command authorized physical training; authorized incentive training permitted exclusively at the Marine Corps Recruit Depots; and other similar activities authorized by the chain of command.

Not saying they didnt go overboard but thought it was authorized on MCRD.