PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to our Membership!

Gary W
06-09-16, 06:49 AM
Good morning. Been watching/reading all of the public and private posts the last few days. Appreciate everyone's participation on the forums and that you all feel comfortable and confident posting your thoughts, opinions, and recommended solutions on them.

There seems to be a number of issues that have surfaced of late and I though this would be a good time to address them all.

First, there have been some public and private comments regarding the fact that I am not a Marine and how can a non Marine run a website for Marines. To be clear, I have never stated I was a Marine, have always said when asked I have worked on various projects with the Marine Corps for the last 18 years and still do that today.

What I have said is that I am a "fan" of the Marine Corps, Marines, and what they have done and will do for our country. I have raised money for Marine Corps charity's, met with families of wounded and KIA Marines, spoken to various ground and aviation units on teamwork and other topics, and have a brother-in-law who retired from the Marine Corps after 32 years of service a couple of years back.

I have countless friends and business associates who served or are now serving our country in the Marine Corps. I also work with hundreds of Marines across the country with various Young Marines, Marine Corps League, MCCS and other events and activities across this great nation of ours.

So with that question cleared up, I want to address from a www.leatherneck.com company position the events of the recent days regarding posts and the removal of threads.

I think the first and most important item that needs to be communicated on this subject is that Rocky C is acting on behalf of our company, not himself. He is today and will always be your Marine Corps brother. Rocky is doing his job which is what the Leatherneck.com leadership has asked him to do. If you want to point fingers and be upset with anyone, please direct that toward me.

Leatherneck.com is today and will always be a place where Marines, Marine family members and friends can say whatever they want about whatever they want. The issue here is how we say it and the impressions those harsh statements have on others who come on the site for the first time, go into the forums and do not feel this is a place they would want themselves or their family members to be.

As I am sure all of you know, first impressions never really change and that is what we are dealing with here. Think about your own experiences with first impressions. If you walk into a house/store, etc. for the first time, it's a mess and and the people inside are acting inappropriately, that impressions stays with you for a long time and effects your decisions to re-engage. The same is true with anyone who logs on to the forums for the first time, goes into Open Squad Bay and reads hurtful and negative comments on a topic being discussed.

We could talk about the website terms/standards/etc. here however I just feel its about each and every one of us thinking about who could be reading what we post. In fact, the reason we have The War Room is that you can go there and be a little more "opinionated" without risking turning anyone away.

I have read the posts, threats to leave, comments that an individual Marine or a group of you will shut the forums down. That is today and will always be your choice. If representing your opinions in a more "honorable" way or posting them in our private forums are things you cannot do on Leatherneck.com, then you should leave.

Being responsive to the needs the all Marines, those who served, those who are serving and those who will serve will always be first and foremost on Leatherneck.com. And we will do it in a way that represents "Honor" which I know runs through the veins of each and every one of you.

With the utmost respect and admiration.

Gary Weisbaum

Rocky C
06-09-16, 07:37 AM
Thank you Gary for your post, explanation and providing us with a forum.

Rocky C

MunkyVsRobot
06-09-16, 06:40 PM
Cant say ive seen the name Gary W mentioned too much on the forum...

*** Gary W is one of the owners of this forum ***

Rocky C

MunkyVsRobot
06-10-16, 05:32 PM
Oh good to go, I am not one of the originals here. Maybe too obvious by the join date of 2011...

ChuckH
06-12-16, 05:07 AM
And speaking of The War Room.... what happened to it?

Was it deleted??

Rocky C
06-12-16, 07:29 AM
The " War Room " was dismantled yesterday per Forum ownership after many discussions. Tony ( HST ) was sent a courtesy PM from me informing him of the decision because it was his thread, he responded and that was that.

silveradomick
06-12-16, 08:04 PM
The ridiculous childish behavior of both the active membership and the site staff here is certainly distasteful. It's amazing to me that other Marine Corps related forums can get by just fine without power struggles, petty squabbles, ass kissing, hurt feelings, and delusions of grandeur that I've witnessed here over the years.im not surprised though. I'm here to help new and future Marines if I can, and to fellowship with current and former jarheads with whom I have things in common. Unfortunately, as a combat vet and a currently serving LEO, I've got little in common with peacetime Marines and civilians. That's not any sort of slight, it's just a fact. Fortunately, there are other places on the internet where connections between like minded people are not dramatized or regulated by the whimsy of arbitrarily appointed individuals.

DaShadow
06-13-16, 05:03 PM
The ridiculous childish behavior of both the active membership and the site staff here is certainly distasteful. It's amazing to me that other Marine Corps related forums can get by just fine without power struggles, petty squabbles, ass kissing, hurt feelings, and delusions of grandeur that I've witnessed here over the years.im not surprised though. I'm here to help new and future Marines if I can, and to fellowship with current and former jarheads with whom I have things in common. Unfortunately, as a combat vet and a currently serving LEO, I've got little in common with peacetime Marines and civilians. That's not any sort of slight, it's just a fact. Fortunately, there are other places on the internet where connections between like minded people are not dramatized or regulated by the whimsy of arbitrarily appointed individuals.

This post deserves to be its own sticky!!!

This post certainly characterizes the state of this forum for quite a while. It amazes me - the trolls that comment daily about things they have NO experience with.

Lastly, many of the posters are always posting (sometimes daily) about how High Speed, Low Drag they are, when it's obvious their experience is based solely on their Internet searches, rather than actual experience.

I think many who (frequently) post on here suffer from
CMD.

RoyBatty
06-14-16, 04:56 PM

I hate you

silveradomick
06-14-16, 05:08 PM
You would. Fortunately your mom doesn't share your loathing.

RoyBatty
06-14-16, 05:10 PM
It's about time, ***** needs those cobwebs cleared out

RoyBatty
06-14-16, 05:12 PM
OMFG profanity is censored?

Rocky C
06-14-16, 05:16 PM
Only in the " Open Forum " where children can read without logging in.
Not censored just procedures in place on autopilot.

marine6551
06-14-16, 05:47 PM
The ridiculous childish behavior of both the active membership and the site staff here is certainly distasteful. It's amazing to me that other Marine Corps related forums can get by just fine without power struggles, petty squabbles, ass kissing, hurt feelings, and delusions of grandeur that I've witnessed here over the years.im not surprised though. I'm here to help new and future Marines if I can, and to fellowship with current and former jarheads with whom I have things in common. Unfortunately, as a combat vet and a currently serving LEO, I've got little in common with peacetime Marines and civilians. That's not any sort of slight, it's just a fact. Fortunately, there are other places on the internet where connections between like minded people are not dramatized or regulated by the whimsy of arbitrarily appointed individuals.well sir; i'm the" fng" here and a former LEO (sheriff's officer and as well as you should know, no one is perfect, whether a marine or civvie, so sometimes you just have to suck it up and try to get along with them the best way you can.i've learned over the years on many forums, you should take what you like and leave something on a positive note.
semper fi, 8th and I...hold 'em high!

silveradomick
06-14-16, 06:20 PM
Yep. And presumably your experience in the Corps and in Law Enforcement would have taught you that sometimes we are duty bound to stand up and have the intestinal fortitude to call BS when we see it.

Kill.

marine6551
06-14-16, 08:27 PM
Yep. And presumably your experience in the Corps and in Law Enforcement would have taught you that sometimes we are duty bound to stand up and have the intestinal fortitude to call BS when we see it.

Kill.brother, you're right to a point, yet on many forums, too many take what's said personally, so i have a simple rule... don't wear your feelings on your sleeve,take what you want, leave what you can and move on.

silveradomick
06-14-16, 09:10 PM
Which oddly enough is my point as well! My feelings aren't the ones that necessitated this letter, nor do I allow people here (or elsewhere on the Internet) to get under my skin. My original post was merely an observation. I try not to take myself too seriously, ever! It's unfortunate that there are some who cannot accomplish the same detatchment. It's all good man, and by the way, welcome.

marine6551
06-14-16, 11:14 PM
Which oddly enough is my point as well! My feelings aren't the ones that necessitated this letter, nor do I allow people here (or elsewhere on the Internet) to get under my skin. My original post was merely an observation. I try not to take myself too seriously, ever! It's unfortunate that there are some who cannot accomplish the same detatchment. It's all good man, and by the way, welcome.amen brother-guess we're in a class of our own...thank you sir for the welcome mat! now, if i could figure out where to introduce myself here... guess it's old age that can't figure out something that's supposed to be easy to find.. *slaps forehead*!:marine:

silveradomick
06-14-16, 11:47 PM
Yeah well apparently not everyone around here has the thick skin that they should've grown while in the service. Too much butthurt over simple stuff, but I guess it takes all kinds. They're just not MY kind if you know what I mean. I'm just hoping maybe they get the message...

Damnit I'm rambling. Sorry. The wife made me drink a bottle of wine tonight. Makes me chatty.

irpat54
06-15-16, 06:38 AM
one must also understand the difference between justifiable anger and butt-hurt anger.. and to have an opinion on just about anything should not get you perma-band ether,, that ticks me off to no end.. and if that gets me band then so be it..

irpat54
06-15-16, 08:00 AM
this banning by ownership is what happens when people who have never served in the Military buy a web site that Marines frequent,, I have a lot to think about now,,

Rocky C
06-15-16, 08:12 AM
The simple answer is this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally don't believe in censorship but I do follow the Terms of Service and the SOP of the forum.

Here comes the simple answer, wait it's coming.... We have different forums and sub-Forums here where one can post. " Open Forums " are where anyone can access the content here. " Marine Only " Forums are where only registered Marines can view and post.

Those that make repeatedly " Wrong Choices " on where they post their comments and threads over and over and over again , that know the terms of service and chose not to make the " Right Choice " and subject children, non Marine members and potential future members to there gripes, complaints about members and content, foul language, and everything imaginable should not be here.

Pat, I did see your post about banned members and you named one in particular in " Open Squad Bay " this morning. It is still there even tho it is where everyone can read
and that happens to be my non-political thread !

It's all about " Choices "....

Gary W
06-15-16, 08:40 AM
Thank you for your post and comments. You are correct as I previously stated, I am not a Marine and i did buy a minority position in a website Marines frequent. You have every right to leave Leatherneck due to that fact, if you decide to leave, please let Rocky know by PM.
Thanks

GaryW

irpat54
06-15-16, 10:18 AM
The simple answer is this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally don't believe in censorship but I do follow the Terms of Service and the SOP of the forum.

Here comes the simple answer, wait it's coming.... We have different forums and sub-Forums here where one can post. " Open Forums " are where anyone can access the content here. " Marine Only " Forums are where only registered Marines can view and post.

Those that make repeatedly " Wrong Choices " on where they post their comments and threads over and over and over again , that know the terms of service and chose not to make the " Right Choice " and subject children, non Marine members and potential future members to there gripes, complaints about members and content, foul language, and everything imaginable should not be here.

Pat, I did see your post about banned members and you named one in particular in " Open Squad Bay " this morning. It is still there even tho it is where everyone can read
and that happens to be my non-political thread !

It's all about " Choices "....

thanks you for clarifying it for me Rocky and GaryW, I do appreciate it.

and you're right about no posting certain content in wrong areas, things at times can get heated..

Rocky C
06-15-16, 10:53 AM
Thank you for understanding Pat.

m14ed
07-15-16, 05:16 AM
^^^^

it 's been a MONTH
since that was posted -

like every other Marine on here
I ALMOST know less now than i knew before .
IF you think i have time to live LIFE in reverse
OR to spend my time skipping thru here
just to eyeball for a note on the wall -
peek my head just enough to see where that
last round impacted - not gonna happen "Spudley"
this AIN"t gettin better thru Boredom

Not doing something IS in-fact an action
IN and Of its-self

General Information, Terminal-Lance, SgtMajorWhatzhisName,
and GaryW * , - civilian - stuck with paying for the check when he hits the drive thru window to pick up his HappyMeal - whoEVER thinks up
the route where this boat is gonna float-
or the bus is gonna drive -
should for the good of the order-
say something ????

NesPas ?

MunkyVsRobot
07-15-16, 05:40 PM
No news is most definitely not good news.

Gary W
07-19-16, 03:33 AM
Apologies to all for my absence from LN for the past two weeks. I have been traveling non-stop for clients ( unrelated to LN ).
Prior to my travels we had developed an updated plan for the operation of the forums.
There were a few items that required additional research which we have back and plan is to post before the end of the week, Again my apologies to those of you above who thought nothing was happening!
GaryW

OLE SARG
07-19-16, 10:47 AM
Just not the same site that I joined YEARS ago. I am sorry but I enjoyed the banter here where we could get down and dirty and I liked the fact that you had to have thick skin to play the game. Not so any more. I probably will not be visiting this site much in the future. Good luck to all the friends I have made on here but we are censored enough by our fvcking government.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

Tennessee Top
07-19-16, 01:59 PM
Just more political correctness run amuck.

Kegler300
07-19-16, 05:06 PM
Sure is dead here since Rocky left ...

Old Marine
07-19-16, 08:36 PM
Just not the same site that I joined YEARS ago. I am sorry but I enjoyed the banter here where we could get down and dirty and I liked the fact that you had to have thick skin to play the game. Not so any more. I probably will not be visiting this site much in the future. Good luck to all the friends I have made on here but we are censored enough by our fvcking government.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

Ole Sarg has friends on here. Really. LOL

SGT7477
07-19-16, 08:55 PM
This place sucks without Rocky, it isn't a Marine site like it once was, Good night Marines and Chesty wherever you are, Semper Fidelis Forever.

Mistybluelady
07-21-16, 10:15 AM
different strokes for different folks

hugs if you need them :sick: some will see the irony in that...

Tennessee Top
07-21-16, 01:30 PM
There will be no more mail until morale improves around here!:p

SGT7477
07-21-16, 09:04 PM
Top the mail will flow if Rocky arrives, Semper Fidelis.

MunkyVsRobot
07-22-16, 03:18 PM
wish we could get some of the old salts back on the site. Not sure if theyve found greener pastures else where or what. Was nice talking to some of em.

SGT7477
07-22-16, 05:02 PM
wish we could get some of the old salts back on the site. Not sure if theyve found greener pastures else where or what. Was nice talking to some of em.

They are never coming back, Semper Fidelis.

MunkyVsRobot
07-23-16, 03:35 PM
True statement, dont think the absence of rock is what is killing this place. It has been hemorrhaging members for quite some time now.

SGT7477
07-23-16, 03:44 PM
True statement, dont think the absence of rock is what is killing this place. It has been hemorrhaging members for quite some time now.

I would say a combination of both, Semper Fidelis.

m14ed
07-30-16, 01:10 AM
Apologies to all for my absence from LN .

Prior to my travels we had developed an updated plan
for the operation of the forums.

There were a few items that required additional research
which we have back

and plan is to post before the end of the week,

Again my apologies to those of you above
who thought nothing was happening!

GaryW

Almost two weeks -

Nothing to see here -
move along

troop901
07-30-16, 03:20 PM

Kill.

Never let them suck you in brother, as I stated, even though I am a LEO, I could never and would not ever have to do what you do.

Gary W
08-03-16, 05:45 AM
Good morning, I hope this post finds you all well.

It has taken some time, more time than any of us had hoped to get things moving forward again however I am pleased to advise the following.

FoxtrotOscar has agreed to act as the Administrator /Senior Moderator on Leatherneck.com. He has been in this role before, knows what to do and is anxious to jump in and get the forums moving forward.

In addition, Madsox has agreed to work with FoxtrotOscar in an Assistant Administrator role

Please join me in welcoming them both to their new positions with Leatherneck.com

All the best!

Gary W

USMC 2571
08-03-16, 06:43 AM
Congratulations to both FoxtrotOscar and to Madsox!!!!

Mongoose
08-03-16, 07:09 AM
Great choices. Mike and Andy are great Marines, but more importantly, they are good men.

USMC 2571
08-03-16, 07:12 AM
Amen to THAT, Billy

Mistybluelady
08-03-16, 07:12 PM
Congrats to 2 of the finest, great decision for the positive evolution of the site.

Kegler300
08-03-16, 07:22 PM
I like those guys. Great posters here who I am sure will be fair and impartial as moderators.

SGT7477
08-04-16, 10:02 PM
FoxtrotOscar, shouldn't you set an example for all members of the site with a complete and accurate profile visible to everyone just like the other 17 Administrators and Moderators before yourself, always thought that was site rules or have the rules changed like the wind? Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
08-04-16, 10:03 PM
Amen to THAT, Billy

Where is the air force uniform Dave, quit chitting us,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

troop901
08-04-16, 11:10 PM
Well, as I stated before, I was not here for this war, I was in the rear watching Bob Hope. But, I WAS here when this site was started and it was started to keep away from this ****. Now I will agree, it should be filled out better, but this site was allowed to be run by, not owned per say, but run by a non Marine who ran most Marines who started this site away. Rocky never did anything to me other then reinstate me and what else went on I dont know.
now, I dont know much about foxtrotoscar but I do know that Andy is a son of a ***** who I would serve with no matter what. But my freakin god, this site was founded to get away and be able to just be a freakin Marine, just look at my damn join date.
I used to come to this site to get away from the crap I deal with everyday, I dont want to have to deal with a soap opra on here.I just want my Marine site back. We can bicker and fuss and cuss, but in the end, let us not act like Marines but be Marines.
SF

FoxtrotOscar
08-05-16, 01:12 AM
FoxtrotOscar, shouldn't you set an example for all members of the site with a complete and accurate profile visible to everyone just like the other 17 Administrators and Moderators before yourself, always thought that was site rules or have the rules changed like the wind? Semper Fidelis.

I appreciate your concern Sgt7477, and I will take a few minutes to inform you as to what your seeing.

A few things have taken place that many are unaware of, not that it would make much difference to them unless it directly impacted the user.

Myself and a few others had our profiles, post's, friends list's, credit's and such completely erased, wiped out with zero backup.

During this issue some glitches have become apparent in the software that runs this site, it's being worked on from my understanding.

As to what your seeing in my profile is a direct result of those issues. Another part could be the result of the "Profile Privacy" selection available to all members:

Profile Privacy

If you would like to restrict the display of some of the blocks on your profile page, select a minimum relationship that other users must meet to see the blocks.

Note: Guests and users on your Ignore List will only be able to view the blocks on your page where you have selected 'Everyone'.

An example: PRIVATE: Phone number is not displayed publicly. And so forth.

If you have any further issues or require additional information from me, feel free to use the "PM" feature also available to everyone...

Thank you.

Mongoose
08-05-16, 07:12 AM
Ronnie, at least what is on Mikes profile is true and honest. Unlike some we knew.

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 08:10 AM
Foxtrot sets a great example as to what fairness, integrity and honesty is. He and Andy have a huge undertaking to get this site back on track.... or should I say what I remember from way back this site was.

USMC 2571
08-05-16, 09:22 AM
I have never seen a member worry about someone else's profile unless they were acting as an agent for someone else. Those topics are customarily discussed solely by PM, never in front of others on an Open Forum.

USMC 2571
08-05-16, 09:29 AM
Let me make it plainer---in NINE YEARS I have never once seen it discussed.

FoxtrotOscar
08-05-16, 09:29 AM
That pretty much covers the "Profiles"....

Let's turn our attention to more important things shall we...???

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 11:42 AM
They are never coming back, Semper Fidelis.

ps...... They're baaaaack........ isnt that from a horror movie or something...

Phantom Blooper
08-05-16, 03:00 PM
isnt that from a horror movie or something...

Poltergeist

SGT7477
08-05-16, 03:56 PM
ps...... They're baaaaack........ isnt that from a horror movie or something...

You hit too soft,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
08-05-16, 03:59 PM
Let me make it plainer---in NINE YEARS I have never once seen it discussed.

Now air force Dave you need to chill out before you have the big one, Semper Fidelis.

Mongoose
08-05-16, 03:59 PM
Bloop, do you have intimate knowledge about any Poltergeist?? When I was locked up in the federal institution for mental rehabilitation, I saw several floating around my bunk at night. Scared the hell out of me. Even when I would have a out of body experience....they would follow me and my friend around.

SGT7477
08-05-16, 04:00 PM
Ronnie, at least what is on Mikes profile is true and honest. Unlike some we knew.

Now Billy who would that be, Semper Fidelis.

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 04:16 PM
You hit too soft,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

Awe sweetie you having a bad day? I didn't hit, I nudged, I'm playing nice....

SGT7477
08-05-16, 04:18 PM
Awe sweetie you having a bad day? I didn't hit, I nudged, I'm playing nice....

Too bad sunshine, us Marines can handle way more than you can ever dishout,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 04:41 PM
Lol whatever, ..... I can handle myself and please don't call me sunshine, that term is reserved for my friends....

USMC 2571
08-05-16, 04:42 PM
Ronnie, I'm no medical expert, but I would bet that no one would have a heart attack merely from calling attention to the fact that no one in a nine year period has ever, on this site, commented adversely on someone else's profile except when acting as an agent for another. LOL-----I looked it up on WebMd and sure enough, has never happened. I did a search on "myocardial infarction, heart attack, The Big One, Marine websites, comments, and profiles", and nothing came up. :)

madsox
08-05-16, 04:47 PM
I'm also pretty sure that Lisa can handle herself in here. Iron fist and velvet glove, y'know. She's been putting up with Jarheads for a good long time, in real life and on the interwebs, and she still has a good attitude - must have some decent meds!

:beer:

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 04:57 PM
Thanks , I've been blessed to be around such fine jar heads .

troop901
08-05-16, 05:10 PM
Lol whatever, ..... I can handle myself and please don't call me sunshine, that term is reserved for my friends....
Its Dish out and Doughnut, PM me if ya need brother. Yes, its true, I do not know what went down here in the last few weeks and sunshine never asked for me to speak on her behalf, but I chose to. Rocky nor yourself never did a thing to me, so no, I am not turning on you or him. As a matter of fact, Misty will probally ripp my butt for this.
But in the end, I vented to you so if you need to vent to me go for it. Foxtrotscar and Madsox seem to be trying their butts off to get this site back in order, I dont know Fox but Andy has always made me laugh and I hope this site gets back to what it was in 2002, a Marine Site. I was proud that you called me a friend and gave me a hard time.
SF

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 05:24 PM
Freedom of speech troop, doesn't matter to me either way.....but nobody should ever feel the need to defend me, I'm good

Kegler300
08-05-16, 05:27 PM
Sooo ... how is everybody?

madsox
08-05-16, 05:32 PM
Just an observation - let's move these three or four different topics (whatever the heck we're talking about here, I can't even tell now!) ... but let's start up some different threads and move the chat out of this thread.

It'll keep things easier to keep track of.

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 05:34 PM
Hi keg , how's things in your corner of the world?

troop901
08-05-16, 05:37 PM
Freedom of speech troop, doesn't matter to me either way.....but nobody should ever feel the need to defend me, I'm good
Wasnt defending you, supporting you young lady. And I just saw some bull so heading over to the LEO thread.

Mistybluelady
08-05-16, 05:41 PM
Well thanks troop, I've been around these boys since 2005 and I'm still standin, you be safe out and about if your working, watch your six , prayers always outbound

FoxtrotOscar
08-05-16, 05:41 PM
I believe that the "Open Letter" has run it's course...

This will be closed. It's now about as "Off Topic" as it can get..

Of course, any questions and or concerns, fell free to PM..

Stay safe & Sane Marines...

& MistyBlue...!!!