PDA

View Full Version : Marines can now wear fitness trackers in more military facilities

Rocky C
06-01-16, 08:48 AM
Marines who prefer to track their activity step-by-step are now allowed to wear personal fitness devices in secure spaces where sensitive material once prohibited such technologies.

Devices like the Fitbit, Jawbone's UP, Nike's Fuel Band and Garmin's VivoFit can now be worn in spaces where collateral classified information and controlled unclassified information is processed, stored or discussed. The new rules are detailed in Marine administrative 274/16, which was signed Friday by Brig. Gen. Dennis Crall, the Corps' chief information officer.

Marine Corps officials did not immediately respond to questions about the changes. The Navy approved a similar policy in September, and even issued fitness trackers to some sailors as a way to help the service monitor their workouts, diet and overall health.

While the Pentagon is careful to protect classified materials and communications within military facilities, emerging technologies like fitness devices have been forbidden under blanket protection orders. This new worldwide policy — coordinated between the Marine Corps' Command, Control, Communications and Computers Department and Marine Forces Cyber Command — loosens the restrictions so Marines can wear approved fitness devices in certain secure locations.

The devices must be commercially available in the U.S. or through a military exchange, marketed primarily as fitness or sleep devices, and designated as a Federal Communication Commission Class B digital device.

Bluetooth is acceptable, as is GPS — if it is in the mode of “receive only.” Accelerometers, altimeters, gyroscopes, heart activity monitors, vibration features, and near-field communication capabilities are all good-to-go.

Devices that contain cellular or Wi-Fi, photographic, video capture/recording, microphone, or audio recording capabilities are a no-go. “Merely disabling the cellular, camera, or video capability is not sufficient,” the MARADMIN states.

Also forbidden are external or conflicting hardware or software modifications, to include the installation of third-party apps. Authorized devices can receive only vendor-supplied software updates that do not add any prohibited features or capabilities. USB accessories such as Bluetooth dongles and charging cables are also prohibited.

The new rules allow commanders to prohibit fitness devices in a facility, operations area, or laboratory if the risk is determined to be unacceptable, though the MARADMIN gives no specifics on what could lead to such a determination. Signs must be posted that state when wearable fitness devices are restricted from any area.

Natalie P
06-01-16, 09:53 AM
I wear a Fitbit. The data goes right to an app on my iPhone. I love it.

madsox
06-01-16, 08:12 PM
Some areas. Maybe even most. But there are some where ain't nothin' allowed, and it's posted on the signs outside the door. These are new signs, too.

;)

Kegler300
06-01-16, 08:19 PM
Going to have to change the overall policy regarding personal electronic devices (PEDs) in restricted areas.

madsox
06-01-16, 09:21 PM
Going to have to change the overall policy regarding personal electronic devices (PEDs) in restricted areas.

That's what this MARADMIN looks like, from what I see - specific exceptions to the general PED policy for the named devices. I'm glad I'm not the ISSO/FSO figuring out which devices are safe and which aren't, and trying to keep up with all the new models of this-that-t'other!

s/f!

MunkyVsRobot
06-04-16, 09:57 AM
The important part about that is the being able to wear it into the SCIF most Marines are already wearing them all over the place, it is just letting people know that as long as it meets certain requirements and there is no local commanders guidance you can wear it in the secure facility.

Kegler300
06-04-16, 01:51 PM
No recording, transmitting, or photographic capability seems to be the bottom line.