PDA

View Full Version : Trump blames the media for confusion over his veterans donations

Rocky C
05-31-16, 04:59 PM
An angry Donald Trump lashed out at the media on Tuesday for questioning the speed and legitimacy of his promised donations to veterans organizations earlier this year, insisting that $5.6 million has been dispersed to more than 40 groups.

“I have never received such bad publicity for doing such a good job,” the presumed Republican presidential nominee said at a New York press conference. “Much of this money was paid out very early, but you have to vet all of these different groups … when you send checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

The announcement came after weeks of criticism from outside groups that Trump had either exaggerated his fundraising totals or failed to hand out large sums of donations.

In January, Trump held a veterans fundraising event in Iowa in protest of Fox News choice of moderator for a planned primary debate. After the event, he announced that $6 million had been raised for veterans, and promised to send that money out quickly.

But several groups named by Trump’s campaign said they still hadn’t see money months later. Trump said Tuesday all of the groups have now received their checks, including a $1 million payout from his own fortune sent to the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation.

“I don't want the credit for it, but I shouldn't be lambasted,” he said. “I'm the only one in the world who could raise almost $6 million for the veterans, have uniform applause by the veterans' groups and end up being criticized by the press.”

He blamed the press for unfairly attacking donation delays caused by background checks, and claimed veterans groups have praised him behind the scenes for the work.

But Trump’s political critics called the donation confusion another example of his questionable character, and said the repeated inquiries into the missing money were the only reason he ended up giving out any cash.

Democratic groups held a series of events and conference calls across the country Tuesday to attack Trump not just on the donations scandal but also on his integrity and leadership.

“One of the first the first things you learn in the military is the importance of your word,” said Iraq war veteran Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass. “You do what you say you will do, not what a lot of people outside pressure you to do.

“We need a commander in chief we can respect and trust from day one, not someone who will be pressured into doing the right thing several months later.”

The Associated Press reported that about a dozen local New York veterans protested outside Trump Tower, holding signs such as "Vets vs. Hate” and calling his national security policies dangerous for the country.

For his part, Trump blamed the media for the confusion over the charity payouts.

“I think the political press is among the most dishonest people that I've ever met,” he told the room of reporters, calling out several as “sleazy” and incompetent.

Trump has also taken criticism in recent weeks for comments he made last summer ridiculing Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., for his capture by enemy soldiers during Vietnam and his dismissal of policies protecting the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Democrats said they also plan on using this controversy to highlight plans by Trump to privatize parts of the Department of Veterans Affairs, calling it potentially devastating for veterans’ medical care.

Donations;

22 Kill -- $200,000

Achilles International -- $200,000

American Hero Adventures -- $100,000

Americans for Equal Living -- $100,000

America's Vet Dogs -- $75,000

AMVETS -- $75,000

Armed Services YMCA -- $75,000

Bob Woodruff Family Foundation Inc. -- $75,000

Central Iowa Shelter and Services -- $100,000

Connected Warriors Inc. -- $75,000

Disabled American Veterans' Charitable Service Trust -- $115,000

Fisher House Foundation -- $115,000

Folds of Honor Foundation -- $200,000

Foundation for American Veterans -- $75,000

Freedom Alliance -- $75,000

Green Beret Foundation -- $350,000

Hire heroes USA -- $75,000

Homes for our Troops -- $50,000

Honoring America's Warriors -- $100,000

Hope for the Warriors -- $65,000

Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund -- $175,000

K-9s for Warriors -- $50,000

Liberty House -- $100,000

Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation -- $1,100,000

Navy Seal Foundation -- $465,000

Navy Marine Corps Relief Society -- $75,000

New England Wounded Veterans Inc. -- $75,000

Operation Homefront -- $65,000

Partners for Patriots -- $100,000

Project for Patriots -- $100,000

Puppy Jake Foundation -- $100,000

Racing for Heros Inc. -- $200,000

Support Siouxland Soldiers -- $100,000

Task Force Dagger Foundation -- $50,000

The Mission Continues -- $75,000

The National Military Family Association Inc. -- $75,000

Veterans Airlift Command -- $100,000

Veterans Count -- $25,000

Veterans in Command Inc. -- $150,000

Vietnam Veterans Workshop Inc. -- $75,000

Warriors for Freedom Foundation -- $50,000

Kegler300
05-31-16, 05:12 PM
That was a great presser!

irpat54
05-31-16, 07:31 PM
I wonder why they don't check into the Clinton foundation... and ask to show where their money is going..

Kegler300
05-31-16, 07:46 PM
The lamestream media is no longer the Fourth Estate, but have become the Fifth Column.

2 Marine Mom
06-01-16, 01:48 AM
Hannity, was on he radio, blasting the media for being so bias, today.. he said they have been unfair to Trump!!! and he listed several more vets places, Trump has donated to.. different than the ones you have. So, Trump is right. and he was, also blasting the media, for pushing a 3rd party, now, the Libertarian party.

He said, there is no real news reporting anymore, just news creating, and blasted several so-called news reporters, as crap. 2 marine mom, out

Rocky C
06-01-16, 08:17 AM
I watched the press conference. Trump blasted the media. It was great !!!