PDA

View Full Version : Kava in the Corps?

Willsp
05-18-16, 07:33 PM
Hello,
So I've been trying to find information on what substances are currently banned/tested for in urinalysis'. Specifically if Kava (a root common in the Pacific Islands which is ground and mixed with water, and when ingested serves as a general stress reliever.) Is specifically prohibited in the Marine Corps. I've been avoiding it just to be safe, but if it's not against the rules it would be nice to have something to unwind with since I don't drink or use Tobacco in any form. I've searched the forums and found nothing on Kava, and the information I've found online has been vague, conflicting and often outdated. I don't want to jeopardize my career before it really begins but if it's allowed I'd really like to know.

Thank you for your time.

Kegler300
05-18-16, 07:41 PM
Any substance that alters consciousness is illegal.

The unlawful use by persons in the DON of controlled substance analogues (designer drugs), natural substances (e.g., fungi, excretions), chemicals (e.g., chemicals wrongfully used as inhalants), propellants, and/or a prescribed or over-the-counter drug or pharmaceutical compound,
with the intent to induce intoxication, excitement, or stupefaction of the central nervous system, is prohibited and will subject the violator to punitive action under the UCMJ or adverse administrative
action or both.

Willsp
05-18-16, 07:57 PM
But Alcohol directly causes intoxication and is often celebrated in the Corps. My confusion is that Kava has much less of an effect and doesn't intoxicate, if anything it's similar to a strong tea.

Kegler300
05-18-16, 08:09 PM
Alcohol and designer drugs are two different things. Designer drugs are illegal ...

Willsp
05-18-16, 08:16 PM
With all due respect sir, Kava is not a designer drug since it is naturally occurring and in no way altered aside from being ground and stirred into water. Kava is also perfectly Legal nationwide, with some states requiring a minimum age of 18.

Tennessee Top
05-18-16, 08:29 PM
Never heard of it. This is a good question for your recruiter.

Let us know what they say (for future reference).

Willsp
05-18-16, 08:37 PM
Will do, I meet with him tomorrow so I'll hopefully have an answer soon.

Rocky C
05-19-16, 08:21 AM
Square away your profile !!! You asked me to change your status on the forum to " Poolee/DEP " from " Marine Friend " and I did ASAP for you.. I asked you to fill out your profile ASAP and you are posting about this Kava crap instead for an hour and a half.

You will not be told again !

Phantom Blooper
05-19-16, 04:19 PM
Pot is a natural substance and the federal government bans it.

Kava is a natural substance and some countries ban it........

If you need to relax that much take Tai Chi or Fukemlongrun away your stress........

It shows up in the blood and in urine.....unlike alcohol which is legal with age in the military.......anything that is in your blood or pee that is not legal or a prescribed med if it is not should be illegal in the Corps.

If I was still in I wouldn't want to chance a sedated state and go to sleep while watching mine or someone else's
six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava

Kegler300
05-19-16, 05:10 PM
If I was still in I wouldn't want to chance a sedated state and go to sleep while watching mine or someone else's six.

Or in today's gay friendly military, someone watching your six while you are sedated!!

Willsp
05-19-16, 07:15 PM
Square away your profile !!! You asked me to change your status on the forum to " Poolee/DEP " from " Marine Friend " and I did ASAP for you.. I asked you to fill out your profile ASAP and you are posting about this Kava crap instead for an hour and a half.

You will not be told again !

I apologize, I've updated my profile and hope it is now acceptable. If it isn't please tell me what to fix and I will fix it, I don't wish to aggravate anyone.

Willsp
05-19-16, 07:27 PM
UPDATE: Spoke with the head of my RSS today and he said he'd never heard of it, he directed me to another recruiter who was knowledgeable on the subject and he told me Kava isn't currently against UCMJ regulations, therefore it isn't tested for in urinalysis.I would also like to clarify that Alcohol does show up in the blood and can be tested for that way. I also by no means intend to be under the influence of any substance at any time when I am expected to perform my duties. I appreciate the responses given to my inquiry. Have a nice night Marines.

Lenny
05-19-16, 07:53 PM
Kava is licensed as a dietary supplement,which the fda can not ban.Only the root of the plant should be used as the leaves and stems have been linked to liver damage.Unless you're grinding it yourself ,you may be playing Russian roulette with this plant just to give yourself a buzz

Willsp
05-19-16, 08:24 PM
My Wife's father sends us some from Hawaii on occasion, his family's been using Kava for generations so I trust his source. But to anyone else who may be reading this, Lenny's advice should definitely be taken into consideration.