PDA

View Full Version : Secret security clearance with expunged juvenile record?

Xperious
05-17-16, 08:09 PM
Hello marines, nasty civillian here hoping to get some answers. <br />
<br />
I plan to enlist after I finish up my schooling and was wondering how hard it is to get secret security clearence with a couple...

Tennessee Top
05-17-16, 09:14 PM
It is my understanding (may be wrong). Every Marine today must have at least a secret security clearance. Your recruiter will know for sure.

Xperious
05-17-16, 10:20 PM
Well that really puts my mind at ease (except for the part where you said you might be wrong.) :confused:

I did some more digging and it turns out I will require a NACLC backround check for Secret Clearance as opposed to the SSBI I would need for a Top secret.

On the Wikipedia page about NACLCs, it says:
"Law Checks covering all locations of residence, employment, and education during the last 5 years and to all locations of admitted arrest."- Does that mean they only go back 5 years and anything before that is moot?

Zulu 36
05-18-16, 01:30 AM
You will have to reveal ALL of your arrests - expungments not withstanding. Depending on the rules in force at the time of your enlistment, they may or may not take a look at those records.

Expungment does not mean the courts and police shred everything to do with your arrest/court appearances. The files are marked "expunged" and not released to most people. However, you will have to sign a waiver that allows ALL of your records to be seen by the investigators if they so choose to see them.

Trying to hide the arrests means trouble for your clearance if they find out about them. Particularly if later you need a top-secret clearance where the background investigation is even more intrusive.

To use an old saying: "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

Rocky C
05-18-16, 08:22 AM
Top is correct. Every Marine has to have a Secret Security Clearance now.
Zulu is correct with all his information to you as well.
I will ad that it is a case by case basis what the investigators find and how far they go back. Because you have a history of arrests you will be flagged for a more deeper investigation.

I held a TSSC and they went back to when I was born almost and it took almost a year.

Might be waiverable, might not.

Best of luck.

LCPL1341
05-18-16, 08:52 PM
Misdemeanor theft and possession with intent to distribute? A drug dealer and thief. Do us all a favor and stay home. Marine Corps doesn't need people like that in it's ranks.

Xperious
05-19-16, 05:39 PM
I am not a drug dealer nor have I ever been. The reason they added the &quot;intent to sell&quot; to the possession was beacause I was holding two bags of pot when I got caught. One bag was my brothers but I...

Xperious
05-19-16, 06:13 PM
Also, I have never been to jail/juvie for any reason, and have never had the police fingerprint me. If that matters any.

Kegler300
05-19-16, 06:24 PM
From what you've posted so far, you should be able to obtain a secret security clearance. If you haven't already, get copies of all of these records in the event the DOD Consolidated Adjudication Facility wants to see them before they make the final determination.

Xperious
05-19-16, 07:46 PM
My parents handled the paperwork but I doubt they still have it. I'll see if I can get copies though. Thank you everyone for your advice, it's been really helpful!