PDA

View Full Version : How Does MOS Selection work?

FacFortia
05-11-16, 08:50 AM
Forgive me (and please, correct me) if I am not following the rules of the forum or my profile is not filled out correctly.

After a lot of thought and counsel from my family, I've decided I want to enlist in the Marines Corps. I've met with my recruiter a few times and my plan (mine and my recruiter's) is for me to sign my contract on June 30 and go to MEPS on July 1. I asked him how my MOS would be decided after it was made certain I was qualified to serve, and he said I got to choose; I would pick three jobs and the Marine Corps would give me one of those three. He also said that I'd better make sure my first choice is something I REALLY want. Is he telling me the truth?

Also, I'm really interested in becoming an EOD technician, but I know the Marine Corps does not allow Marines to enlist straight into EOD. What MOS(s) would best prepare me for transistioning into this field when I apply? I'm really interested in Combat Engineering (my recruiter is a Combat Engineer as well), and he said that would be the closest thing to EOD and my best shot at getting into EOD. Can any other Marines confirm this?

Dan

Rocky C
05-11-16, 09:06 AM
I am confirming everything your recruiter has told you to be the truth ( Of course, he is a Marine !!! ) and adding some info.

MOS 2336 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians.

Type of MOS : PMOS

Rank Range: MGySgt to Sgt

Job Description: EOD technicians perform various duties that include locating, accessing, identifying, rendering safe, neutralizing, and disposing of hazards from foreign and domestic, conventional, chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and high yield explosives (CBRNE) unexploded explosive ordnance (UXO), improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and weapons of mass destruction (WMD that present a threat to operations, installations, personnel, or materiel.)

Job Requirements:

(1) Must possess a GT score of 110 or higher.

(2) Must meet all requirements for assignment to a critical position within the Nuclear Weapons Personnel Reliability Program; refer to SECNAVINST 5510.35.

(3) Must be fully screened per MCO 3571.2, using the current revision of the HQMC-approved EOD screening Checklist.

(4) Must have a first class Physical Fitness Test (PFT) (accomplished during EOD screening process).

(5) Be a volunteer in the grade of sergeant or corporal in any MOS.

Sergeants must not be selected for Staff Sergeant in their current MOS.

(6) Must have normal color vision and no claustrophobic tendencies. (Bomb suit agility test will be administered during the EOD screening.)

(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.

(8) Must be qualified for an Explosive Driver's License as well as Emergency Vehicle Operator's License.

(9) Must be a graduate of the EOD Basic Course (CIN N56GPX).

(10) Must have a final secret security clearance based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)

(11) Must be qualified to handle Arms, Ammunition and Explosives (AA and E)

(12) In the performance of their duties, must be physically qualified for an Explosive Driver's License as well as Emergency Vehicles Operators License, as per NAVSEA SWO 20-AF-ABK-010.

(13) The following core competencies must be sustained:

(a) Advanced electronics.

(b) Advanced EOD Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP)

(c) Specialized Demolition.

(d) Post Blast Investigation.

(e) Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD).

(f) Improvised Explosive Devices (IED)

(g) Robotics.

(h) UXO clearance.

Best of luck.

Tennessee Top
05-11-16, 10:43 AM
It's a crap shoot (gamble).

I won't claim recruiters lie about anything. There is no need to today.

But I will confirm, every graduating class at Marine Combat Training (MCT) where Primary MOS assignments are given the day before graduation, there are always at least a few Marines surprised/not happy with what they got. Either their recruiter did a poor job of explaining how the process works, they only heard what they wanted to hear, or they failed to read their contract before signing it (MOS appendage).

The day you ship to bootcamp. Read your contract (pay attention to the MOS Program). If you do not like what you see, don't ship.

Combat Engineers do blow things up as part of their MOS. If you had to lateral move into EOD in the future, I would think that would be a good place to start from.

Good luck.