PDA

View Full Version : Pepperell Marine saves a life, shows selfless devotion to duty

thedrifter
01-25-04, 07:39 AM
Pepperell Marine saves a life, shows selfless devotion to duty

ANKARA, Turkey -- In October, Richard Flewelling and his wife traveled to Ankara, Turkey, for a three-week visit with their son, Ty Flewelling, who is the medical attaché for the State Department in Turkey and provides medical care for the U.S. Embassy in Ankara.

While there, Richard, a former Marine, observed several events that made him proud of the Marines serving today. One of those events involved Sgt. Nathaniel J. Parker of Pepperell, one of nine Marine Security Guards who protect embassy diplomats and employees. He shared Parker's story through a letter to the Pepperell Free Press.

After a formal Marine birthday ceremony had concluded, the ambassador of the United States to Turkey, Eric Edelman, called out for one of the Marines in the Marine Security Guard Detachment to be decorated. I was astounded to hear that Sgt. Nathaniel J. Parker was being decorated with the "Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal" for saving the life of another person back in June.

It was nearly 11 p.m. on the 23rd of June at the U. S. Embassy compound in Ankara. Because of high terrorist threats, many activities at the embassy are conducted at night. On this night, a Turkish employee of the embassy had stayed late to receive a supply of gasoline from a tanker truck.

It should be noted that much of the physical "presence" of armed security guards working at the U. S. Embassy are actually Turkish citizens employed as armed guards working for an outside security company contracted for just such services. U.S. Marine personnel comprising the Marine Security Guard Detachment at the embassy are represented by a surprisingly low number of men.

All activities conducted inside the embassy compound are closely monitored via closed circuit TV cameras located strategically throughout the area. On this day, Sgt. Jeffery T. Hughes was manning the monitors of Post One, the embassy's monitoring station.

One of the civilian guards appeared at Post One informed Sgt. Hughes that there was an older man, a civilian employee, lying behind one of the Marine vehicles. This vehicle was parked near the Marine House (the residence within the embassy compound where the Marines live). Unfortunately, the camera that covered this area could not reveal enough of the area to show the man down. Sgt. Hughes could see two of the local guards just standing around the victim.

As he gathered information from the reporting guard, Sgt. Hughes called the operator and gave instructions for an ambulance to be dispatched for a possible unconscious man or heart attack victim. He also gave instructions for Flewelling to be notified of the emergency.

That done, Sgt. Hughes called the Marine House for assistance, and Sgt. Parker picked up the phone. Sgt. Parker hurried to the Marine vehicle outside with Sgt. Hughes giving him as much information as he could from his perspective. Upon arriving outside, Sgt. Parker found a Turkish employee, half sitting and half lying against the back of the Marine van.

Finding the man completely unconscious and without a pulse, Sgt. Parker prepared to administer CPR. Maintaining continuous communication with Sgt. Hughes via cell phone, Sgt. Parker checked the victim's airway for obstructions and began CPR procedures. Shortly thereafter, Cpl. James Holtsnider arrived and assisted Sgt. Parker with buddy CPR until the ambulance arrived.

Ty told me later that upon arriving at the scene, he learned that CPR had not been started on the patient some 10 minutes after the civilian guards noticed he was having problems. For all intents and purposes, this man would normally have been considered "expired," he said.

Giving the patient the benefit of a doubt, as well as the Marines' heroic efforts of administering CPR, they continued resuscitation efforts with the Advanced Cardiac Life Support unit. In Ty's own words, "Miraculously, the patient was resuscitated."

Ty radioed back to the embassy to relate to the Marines that their hard work had paid off, and that they had saved the patient's life. The cheer he heard in the background was as though the winning touchdown had just been made at the Super Bowl.

Each day as I reflect back on my recent visit to Turkey, I cannot help but pause to recall those heroic moments that I was so fortunate to witness or have iterated to me personally by those involved. I think of how fortunate we all are to have such people in our midst.

Part of Sgt. Parker's commendation read: "Sergeant Parker's quick actions, along with his knowledge of first-aid, not only saved a life, it also furthered the enormous sense of trust and confidence in which the Embassy holds its Marine Security Guard Detachment. Sergeant Parker's initiative and selfless devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

As of this writing, I know that there are other commendations forthcoming from Sgt. Parker's event. What is needed is more of the commendations that only the people from home can give. And they are not only the praise given for combat actions, but also those of a humanitarian activity.

Sgt. Parker is the son of Jim and Kerry Parker of Pepperell, and the brother of Shaun and Reisa Parker. He is the grandson of Ronda Lynch, and John and Joanne Lynch, all of Pepperell, and Dorothea Parker of Milford, NH. He is a 1999 graduate of North Middlesex Regional High School in Townsend.

http://www.harvardhillside.com/Stories/0,1413,108~5347~1909906,00.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: