PDA

View Full Version : What to expect with BAH and next duty station

oldpappy
05-06-16, 01:18 PM
Good afternoon, Marines.

I graduated from my MOS school and will be receiving orders pretty soon. I'm married now and was wondering if I could get some insight on BAH and duty stations.

1) When I get to my next duty station, the BAH will be dependent on where I am, correct?
2) My wife has a great job currently and won't be leaving to come stay with me. (I'm not gonna let her leave a job she just started either). That said, when I get to my duty station will I be considered a "geo-bachelor"? And will I be told to live on base or will I be offered the chance to live off-base? And, if I live on base, will I still receive BAH since she is living in a different part of the state or country?

Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it.

Hammer
05-06-16, 01:29 PM
I can't answer your question, but there will be other Marines who will be able to, so hang in there.

Tennessee Top
05-06-16, 09:58 PM
You living in one state, and her living in another, is a sure fire way to become a statistic (divorced Marine). Normally, a Marine is separated from their spouse ONLY because there is no other option (deployment, unaccompanied orders, etc).

I know your response will be "won't happen to me - I love her and she loves me". That sums up exactly how I felt when I went to Japan for 12 months and my ex stayed at Camp Pendleton, CA. It happened to me - she found Jody while I was away (occupational hazard).

Rationalize the separation and gamble with your marriage all you want to. You can't say you were never warned now.

MunkyVsRobot
05-07-16, 07:29 AM
You will still rate BAH to pay for where ever your spouse is staying youll have to work that out with your S1 shop, You wont get to live out in town as the marine corps isnt going to pay for two houses for you so you will live in the bricks. Also depending on how long she stays living at your home of record you will probably get a divorce happens more often than you think.

TigersGirl
05-09-16, 01:01 PM
Since you are voluntarily living apart, you will receive BAH for your duty station. You will not be eligible for Family Separation Allowance. Your command may allow you to live in the barracks but they don't have to. If there is not enough room or they just don't want to, you will have to find your own place in town.

BAH Info - See JTR Chapter 10 Part E Section 2 Paragraph 10402-B
FSA Info - See DOD FMR Volume 7a Chapter 27 Section 2704

Greendevil54
05-09-16, 01:51 PM
I can vouch for what TigersGirl has said.

oldpappy
05-10-16, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone.