PDA

View Full Version : Artillery Patron Saint

Cole11
01-25-04, 02:38 AM
I was just wondering, if artillerys patron Saint was St.Barbra

TracGunny
01-25-04, 09:45 AM
Yes. Check out:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookup/6006636E0743E1C685256E25000BD5D7?opendocument

Saint Barbara was the beautiful daughter of a wealthy man named Dioscorus in the 4th century, in what is now present-day Turkey. Dioscorus locked Barbara in a tower before embarking on a long journey. Subsequently, she learned about Christianity while imprisoned, then converted. Barbara ordered the towers' twin windows changed to three, representing the Trinity.

When he returned, Dioscorus - enraged by his daughter's conversion - dragged Barbara behind a horse to the top of a mountain where he beheaded her. He was struck dead at the moment of her death by a lightning bolt.

In the 7th century, the Catholic Church venerated Barbara, and she became the "Patron Saint of Protection" from sudden death - something known all too well to the artillerymen of old, who mixed combustible black powder and nitrate. Over time, Barbara became known as the artillery battlefield protector.

Usually celebrated on Dec. 4, the feast day of St. Barbara is a time to honor the components of artillery and its support elements.

USMC-FO
01-25-04, 11:19 AM
Jeez...do I feel stupid ! 4 years in arty as a 0811, 0844 then an 0847 and I don't think I ever knew this! Oh well never to old to learn something.

Or it could be that if a party was held then I may easily have been, ah......somewhat under the influence of liquid spirits, and therefore forgot about saints and the like??

Anyway thanks for the info "Gunny"

Cole11
01-25-04, 10:48 PM
thank you for the info sir.