PDA

View Full Version : After 62 years, these Korean War vets get the heroes' welcome they deserve

Rocky C
04-23-16, 11:50 AM
On April 13, Honor Flight Chicago took 101 veterans to Washington, D.C., to visit the memorials commemorating their service. The program was developed to fly World War II Veterans from around the country to their memorial. This is the first flight from Chicago to include veterans of the Korean War.

“If I was called to go back to the military, I’d be happy to do it — even though I’m 85 years old,” said Italo Bove, who served in Korea. He was a private first class in the Army's Able Company, 73rd Engineer Combat Battalion, serving as an infantryman and cook after being drafted in 1953.

Those who served in Korea recognize that they didn’t receive the same welcome home that World War II vets received just years earlier.

“You got home and everybody had the same thought — ‘you guys weren’t in a war, you’re cops. You were in a police action,’” said Bruno Bobrowski. He joined the Army in 1951 and helped clear mine fields in Korea. He served in the 3rd Engineer Combat Battalion, 19th Regimental Combat Team, leaving the Army as a sergeant first class.

For Bruno, visiting the Korean War Veterans memorial was a difficult experience. “I don’t want to see it any more,” he said, holding back tears. “I think about my buddies.”

When the day was done, the veterans received a hero’s welcome back in Chicago. Hundreds of family, friends and other supporters packed into the baggage claim area cheering. The Korean War veterans in the group waited 62 years for this welcome home.

SGT7477
04-23-16, 01:10 PM
My Dad fought in the Korean War, RIP Dad, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
04-23-16, 04:09 PM
Mine also Ronnie. My Dad died this past October 12th in Florida. He retired there 21 years ago when my Mom died. He was 82. RIP Dad.

SGT7477
04-23-16, 05:18 PM
Rocky my Dad passed away in 94 at the age of 64, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
04-24-16, 09:46 AM
So young Brother. My Mom died in 1994 at the age of 62....

SGT7477
04-24-16, 09:55 AM
Rocky my mother passed away in 2012 at the age of 74, we know they are in a better place, Semper Fidelis Brother.

Rocky C
04-24-16, 10:04 AM
That's what comforts me Brother.

Semper Fidelis.