PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian seeks new life in Corps - Royal descendant finds pride, belonging, brotherho

thedrifter
01-24-04, 06:56 AM
Nigerian seeks new life in Corps - Royal descendant finds pride, belonging, brotherhood among Marines
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2004123131259
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(January 23, 2004) -- Nigerian-born Kolapo Babatunde is a Marine today after a journey blocked by tribulation, personal loss and learning to be a man early in life.

Three ethnic groups occupy Nigeria: the Yoruba in the West, the Hausa/Fulani in the North and the Igbo in the East. Babatunde is a Yoruba.

These groups are divided into tribes painted with poverty, promise and royalty.

Babatunde's younger brother, Adeniy, and sister, Joke, revered him as he received guidance from his father, Idrus, and older brother, Lookmon. Yoruba life was good in their three-bedroom city flat, until Babatunde's mother, Musiliu, died after battling illness for six years. Babatunde was 14 years old.

Her death left the family in shambles, and suddenly a single father and his oldest boys were forced to make up for her absence.

"My mother and I were very close," said Babatunde. "Her death made me very sad. My heart was broken."

Babatunde's father sought help from his in-laws by asking for someone to help him take care of his family. They unexpectedly refused.

"The extended family abandoned us," said Babatunde. "My father was very sad, but he did his best to help the family."

When Babatunde graduated high school, he started working as an administrative and supply clerk for a newspaper company.

This created income for his family and tuition money to attend the University of Lagos.

"When I saved enough money, I began college," said Babatunde. "I studied actuarial science."

Actuarial science, which relates to the insurance business, seemed to be Babatunde's key to success, because it would be a skill he could use all his life. While at the university, he met a young lady named Bukky.

They were both 23 at the time and began a relationship that soon blossomed into true love, according to Babatunde.

Although she is still in Nigeria, the two have been a couple for more than five years and plan to marry within the next two years.

In his senior year at the university, lack of money forced Babatunde to drop out one credit short of his degree.

With a future seeming to go nowhere, Babatunde decided to come to America for a bright new direction. He arranged to stay with friends in Chicago.

"When I landed in Chicago, my friends didn't pick me up," said Babatunde. "I had the wrong telephone number and could not contact them."

Stranded at the airport, a taxi driver from Somalia noticed Babatunde's situation and offered to help. He drove Babatunde to an area populated heavily with Africans and introduced Babatunde to a man named Osei Bernard, an apartment complex manager who agreed to let Babatunde stay with him until the lost immigrant found his friends.

Nearly two months later, Babatunde found them.

After this setback, he moved in with his friends and started working and paying rent.

Nearly a year later, a friend who wanted to join the Marines, along with a private home on leave, phoned Babatunde to talk to him about the Marine Corps.

"This interested me because I have always wanted to join the military," said Babatunde. "I knew it was a lifelong decision, so I took a week to think it over."

A week later, Babatunde visited his local recruiter and expressed his interest in joining. He was immediately processed, shipped out for recruit training here and assigned to Platoon 1133, Company B.

Still not fully accustomed to his new country, Babatunde said he experienced a great culture shock when he arrived aboard the Depot.

"All these different faces and people are here," marveled Babatunde. "Now they are all my brothers. I love them all."

Babatunde's highest hurdle in recruit training was the language barrier. His Nigerian accent is very heavy, although he speaks eloquent English. His accent, combined with the gruff drill instructorspeak, made for some tough communication.

"At first, we did not understand each other," said Babatunde. "Now we understand each other, and I better understand the Marine Corps."

With recruit training in full stride, a lack of communication with his family still weighed heavy on Babatunde. He sent letters to his family almost weekly but never received mail in return.

His squad leader, PFC Jaim Bourg, decided to do something about Babatunde's absent mail.

Bourg consistently received mail from his family, and he wrote home about Babatunde. The Bourg family was touched and began sending letters to Babatunde.

"It was very nice of them to send me mail," said Babatunde. "It made life much more enjoyable for me, and I thank them for that."

Since his training began, Babatunde's drill instructors watched him improve.

"At first, Babatunde was lost," said Staff Sgt. Roberto Barba, one of Babatunde's drill instructors. "He slowly picked up the language and rapidly improved."

Babatunde's life in Nigeria prepared him for life in the Corps. The trials through which he persevered have conditioned him to accept and overcome hardship, according to Staff Sgt. A. J. Towle, Babatunde's senior drill instructor.

"He never quits," said Towle. "He is always obedient to orders. He is just so disciplined."

Babatunde enlisted as a legal administration clerk and said he looks forward to the job.

"Administration is a job I am familiar with and enjoy," said Babatunde. "I am very qualified and have experience in it."

Babatunde is reluctant to mention a part of his life he left behind: He's royalty.

In the Akoko tribe, the first-born son in the royal family is next to rule. His grandfather is the second son, therefore a prince, but one who will never rule. Babatunde's father is also a prince by blood, making Babatunde a prince as well. But Babatunde doesn't consider that important in his life.

"I am not a prince," said Babatunde. "I am a private in the Marine Corps."

When his journey led him to America, he was eager to return his gratitude to the country that gave him a new future.

He will take his leave in Chicago with his friends, and he will contact his family and bride-to-be, Bukky.

"I love this country and the Marine Corps," said Babatunde. "Now I have a new extended family."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004123131420/$file/Pvt_Kolapo_Babatunde_lr.jpg

Pvt. Kolapo Babatunde, Platoon 1133, Company B, prepares his Service "A" uniform the night before the battalion commander's inspection. The 28-year-old Babatunde moved to America a little over a year ago form Nigeria. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D8953FDD12E0A11D85256E24006410E7?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine: