PDA

View Full Version : Hero awarded for saving lives

thedrifter
01-24-04, 06:52 AM
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 2004122174657
Story by Lance Cpl. Macario Mora

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(January 22, 2004) -- Sgt. Freddy Arencibia can't pin it on his uniform, but he's got it from Georgia's governor that he's nothing less than a hero.

Arencibia, a platoon sergeant assigned to 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, received The Georgia's Governor's Public Safety Award for his "Act of Heroism" Friday, for saving the life of a woman and her 9-year-old daughter nearly a year-and-a-half ago. The circular medallion, hanging from a black ribbon, was presented to Arencibia at a battalion formation.

"I'm not sure if I deserve all of this," Arencibia said. "I'll just leave it to the people to decide. It's great keeping in touch with them and knowing I helped to save those people's lives."

It was a routine call Aug. 24, 2002. Arencibia, served as a police officer for Calhoun, Ga., after getting out of the Marine Corps. He stopped to assist another traffic officer with a fatal three-car traffic accident.

While Arencibia was assisting another officer, a Buick Ninety-Eight struck a Jeep Cherokee causing the car to burst into flames while it flipped several times landing on top of its roof.

Arencibia raced to the scene. Despite flames engulfing the vehicle, he pulled a nine-year-old girl and her mother to safety, according to Therrell Goswick, Calhoun City Police Chief.

"I wasn't thinking of anything when I did it," Arencibia explained. "It was only after I was taken to the hospital that I realized I had just saved two peoples lives."

Arencibia recently returned to his roots as a Marine.

He credited his time in Marine green for his success in police officer blue.

"This is a great tribute to him," said Lt. Col. Gregg P. Olsen, commanding officer for the 2nd Bn., 1st Marine Regiment.

"He was acting like a Marine even when his wasn't filling our ranks. We're so glad to have him with us now."

"Everything I did was likely because of what the Corps instilled in me," Arencibia said.

"I was just glad I could help somebody out," he said.

Others weren't at all surprised that Arencibia stepped into a life-threatening situation to save others. For them, it was a characteristic of the Corps he never left behind.

"I've only been here a month and a half and I know he'd do it again if presented the opportunity," said 1st Sgt. William S. Skiles, first sergeant for E. Company. "I think he showed many of the Marines here a valuable lesson. There are things out there that are higher than us."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/82281E8FAC6F5EE985256E23007D261F?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

sadibenz
01-24-04, 11:14 AM
If this young man plays his cards right. I pretty sure that he can get started in any law enforcement carreer in the state of Georgia. For that matter, it sure wouldn't hurt his chances for anything else either.
Sadibenz@cox.net