PDA

View Full Version : MAVNI Program?

nomanrasheed
04-11-16, 02:52 PM
Hi Marines,

Does US Marine Corps also recruits applicants through MAVNI program?

Thank you!

Rocky C
04-11-16, 04:51 PM
The United States Marine Corps does not have the MAVNI program.

The FY 2016 MAVNI Program

Foreign Nationals have served in the Military since the Revolutionary War. The Military Bases Agreement of 1947 allowed Filipino nationals into the Navy. In the 1950’s the Lodge Act permitted immigrants from Eastern Europe to enlist.

Today, approximately 25,000 non citizens serve on active duty, with an additional 5,000 enlisting every year. To recognize the sacrifices made by non-citizens during times of war, they are provided with an opportunity for expedited citizenship under a July 2002 Executive Order. Approximately 80,000 members of the Armed Forces have attained their citizenship while serving.

So What Is The MAVNI Program

Military Accessions Vital To National Interest (MAVNI) is a program that was authorized by the US Secretary of Defense. The program allows Military Recruiter’s to recruit certain legal aliens, who possess skill sets considered to be vital to our national defense. Individuals holding these critical skills would be eligible to enlist without regard to their citizenship status.

The Army is currently seeking certain non immigrant aliens with foreign language abilities. In addition Health Care Professionals (doctors, dentist, nurses), can apply to be an AMEDD Officer.

As of October 1, 2013, the MAVNI program has been reopened, and available nationwide. The program has been extended through May of 2015. The program was previously active for one year and closed when slots ran out in FY 2013.

For additional information about the 2014-2015 MAVNI Program:
•How To Qualify For The MAVNI Language Program
•USAREC Message 13-164 MAVNI Language Program
•USAREC Message 14-002 MAVNI Healthcare Program
•USAA Free Secured Checking For MAVNI Applicants
•MAVNI Information Paper Updated 13 September 2012
•MAVNI Recruiter Checklist
•USAREC Message 13-037 Oral Proficiency Interview For MAVNI
•USAREC Message 13-012 Accelerated Naturalization Opportunity For All Non-Citizens

nomanrasheed
04-20-16, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much for your response!
I have one more question.
Can I transfer to Marine Corps after certain time period?

madsox
04-20-16, 09:47 PM
It's all pretty clear in Rocky's post there, but if I read you right, you would want to use the MAVNI program to get into one branch of the US military (as a translator, or super-hacker, or something else vital) and then transfer from that branch over to the Marine Corps.

The short answer is no, I am almost 100% sure that's not possible. The long answer is that you would have to complete whatever obligation the MAVNI program places you under - I have no idea what those terms would be. Then you would have to become eligible for USMC service (gaining citizenship or permanent resident status, getting sufficient education if you don't have it, and the physical basics to start). Then you could go to a Marine recruiter and apply for enlistment as prior service from another branch.

Anyone who understands what MAVNI is and how it works is welcome to come along and clear this up but from my brief reading of the program, that's what it would probably take.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

nomanrasheed
04-21-16, 07:22 AM
I would eventually get citizenship, if not after BCT, then after AIT.
Yes, you are right that I am thinking about transferring from one branch of the military to another.
Does this mean I have to go through all of the basic training for USMC?

oldtop
04-21-16, 09:25 AM
yes

TolzerVman
04-21-16, 11:16 AM
You do realize that you enlist in the Army for 4 yearsactive duty and you still will owe them for 4 years reserve time. Youwould need permission from the Army to enlist in the Marine Corps. TheAir Force also has that program; same basic rules, but not as many slots. Theprogram ends on 30 September 2016. Wait too long and you might miss out oneverything.

nomanrasheed
04-21-16, 02:22 PM
You do realize that you enlist in the Army for 4 yearsactive duty and you still will owe them for 4 years reserve time. Youwould need permission from the Army to enlist in the Marine Corps. TheAir Force also has that program; same basic rules, but not as many slots. Theprogram ends on 30 September 2016. Wait too long and you might miss out oneverything.

I am about to go for my ASVAB test within 2 weeks. I am pretty sure I would be done with my contract and enlistment within the next month.
Meanwhile, my degree would also be finished by the next 4 years of period. Since, I will be taking part-time courses, while AD.

Rocky C
04-22-16, 09:03 AM
Best of luck to you and keep us posted please.