PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Miller Zings 'Hollywood Weenies' and 'Terry McAwful'

thedrifter
01-23-04, 06:55 PM
Sen. Miller Zings 'Hollywood Weenies' and 'Terry McAwful'

Wes Vernon, NewsMax.com

Friday, Jan. 23, 2004

ARLINGTON, Va. – Sen. Zell Miller, D-Ga., told a dinner at the annual Conservative Politial Action Conference that he was “fed up with Hollywood weenies like Martin Sheen,” who play soldier and then trash America in time of war.
Delivering the keynote address at the three-day gathering, the Georgia Democrat, who is supporting President Bush for re-election this year, on Thursday derided those in his party who appear willing to let the United Nations dictate to this country on whether the United States is allowed to defend itself against those who would destroy it.

Miller recalled that not long ago, he had discovered a nest of copperheads in his garden, and used that incident as an analogy to the action required by the U.S. to confront those who would kill Americans.

“Those snakes were deadly,” he told his audience. “They threatened my wife and my grandchildren.”

In deciding what to do, “I didn’t ask the City Council to pass a resolution. I just took a hoe and cut their heads off. I guess you could say that was unilateral action, and you could call it a pre-emptive strike,” the senator said, in an obvious reference to those who say President Bush should have first obtained the permission of the United Nations before going to war in Iraq.

The president in his State of the Union speech Tuesday had noted the U.S. did not need a permission slip to defend itself.

Miller recalled telling his Senate colleagues when the U.S. had been threatened that we should “bomb the hell out of them.”

He cited Winston Churchill, who stood up to Adolf Hitler and in 1946 warned of the dangers of the Soviet Union, as the media called him a warmonger and “even Harry Truman” had offered Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin a chance to come to the U.S. and respond to Churchill’s “Iron Curtain” address in Fulton, Mo.

Events such as this, the Georgia lawmaker contended, were “lessons in history that Ted Kennedy never learned.”

During his speech to thousands of CPAC attendees, Miller referred to Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe as “Terry McAwful.”

Miller was introduced by Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association, who said his members “are going to miss this straight-shooting senator,” who is retiring early next year.

Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, joked that Miller was the one Democrat who might be wondering if the many Republicans at CPAC were “conservative enough.”

Former Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., expressed pride in the Democrat from his state, and used the occasion to pay tribute to the House Republicans who stood up to the Bush White House and voted against the massive increase in spending on prescription drugs. Barr read aloud the names of the 25 GOP members who rejected the bill after congressional Democrats rejected the president’s initial modest proposal simply to take care of the uninsured.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/1/23/120622.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

greybeard
01-24-04, 10:16 AM
There have been rumors for a while, that Dick Cheney would quietly 'retire' after the election. I beleive that would leave the VP slot open to appointment by the president. Zell Miller would make a good one IMO.

He would be considered too old to make his own run for the top spot in 2008, so it leaves the spot open to up & comers in the GOP.

He's a dem with conservative leanings.

He's not afraid of calling it like he sees it.

He knows the ropes in congress & could get legislation passed-or squashed.

TracGunny
01-24-04, 10:49 AM
Sen. Miller served as a Marine and published a book entitled "Corps Values; Everything You Need to Know I Learned in the Marines"

Copyright 1996, published by Longstreet Press, Inc. ISBN# 1-56352-387-6 (4th printing, 2000). 108 pages.

http://miller.senate.gov/usmc.htm