PDA

View Full Version : Camping rig.

Osotogary
01-23-04, 04:58 PM
I was in a money and time crunch last weekend. I had been invited to go camping in the Everglades on short notice. I didn't have squat as far as a tent. I had to rig something up fast. I spent about $10.00 total on some 3/4" PVC pipe, 1" PVC "T"s and elbows, 6 bungy cords and a waterproof Tarp (8' x 10'). I was banking on the downward pressure of the tarp with bungy cords and the 45 degree PVC pipe design against the trucks bedliner to create a stabilized sleeping quarters. It worked out better than I thought. Everything was assembled and disassembled in minutes.
I forgot to mention that I also added PVC sleeves where there was a gap between the 3/4" and 1" PVC pipes ( there was no adhesive of any kind used) I know that is is barely a step up from a "lean to", the kind you folks are used to but heck ...it worked out pretty good.
Here's a photo.

TracGunny
01-23-04, 07:23 PM
...adapt, overcome, improvise...

Wow...no duct tape?!

Osotogary
01-23-04, 07:59 PM
TracGunny,
I had the duct tape with me. Next time I use it it will be to attach some sort of mosquito net to the tarp. I know it is January but the
bastas still found a way to buzz around my ears. I know that I knocked the stuffing out of myself more than quite a few times during the night. LOL. I climbed out of the truck about 0430 and started sawing fire wood, to get the smoke going and keep away the bastas.