PDA

View Full Version : Marines consider more lenient body fat rules, new tape test tools

Rocky C
04-06-16, 09:06 AM
Fitness buffs and female Marines are likely to benefit most from recommended changes to the Corps’ body composition standards that will soon be presented to senior leadership.

The proposal, which is outlined in a document obtained by Marine Corps Times, recommends that height and weight standards and body fat measurements be waived for those who max their physical fitness and combat fitness tests — an estimated 10 percent of Marines.

Recommendations would also allow a 3-percentage point margin of error in the body fat allowance for other top performers, though the threshold is not yet determined. The report suggested either Marines whose fitness scores are in the top 15 or 25 percent.

The proposal follows a months-long service-wide fitness review led by Training and Education Command. Commandant Gen. Robert Neller ordered the fitness review in November after muscular Marines who passed their fitness tests complained about exceeding the Corps' height and weight limits.

The brief proposal will be presented by Lt. Gen. Robert Walsh, the commanding general of Marine Corps Combat Development Command, on April 13 at Joint Base Anacostia–Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C. Input from senior leaders attending will be collected to further refine TECOM's recommendations, said Maj. Anton Semelroth, a spokesman for MCCDC. Final recommendations are due to the commandant by July 1.

While recommendations could change ahead of the deadline, the documents show that all Marines could soon get a break in body fat percentages.

Under the new plan, women would be allowed to weigh anywhere from 5 to 9 pounds more, depending on their height, as the allowable body mass index for female Marines could jump from 25 to 26. The changes would only apply to women since female Marines currently face the strictest height and weight standards in the Defense Department, according to the report. Male Marines currently have the most liberal standards, the report states.

The age groups Marines are currently divided into — two of which date back to 1956 — could be split into eight. The first grouping would include Marines aged 17 to 20. Marines would then move into a new age bracket every five years until they are 51 years old. Body fat allowances would increase by one-half percentage point with each increase in age group.

"No scientific basis exist for current age groups," the reports state. The new proposed age groups recognize age-related changes in aerobic capacity and strength.

The way Marines' body fat is measured could also change.

The report calls for "self-tensioning" measuring devices that can be used with one hand and yield more precise circumference measurements. Officials also recommend that the authority to grant waivers should rest with the first general officer in the chain of command rather than personnel officials at the Manpower Management Division.

Marines to SecNav: Change tape test for whole Navy Department

In January, the Navy changed the way it measures body fat. Sailors who fail to meet height and weight standards are now measured only at the waist, instead of the neck and waist. Male sailors are allowed to have a 39-inch waist and women 35.5.

HST
04-06-16, 05:30 PM
This thing is just one more example of what happens when the remf's and the Marine pols are in charge. In my day if you made the PRT you were ok and I saw a whole lot of fat asses who woulds be...

Mongoose
04-06-16, 07:34 PM
29839I'm still in good shape to be almost 70.

Kegler300
04-06-16, 07:40 PM

SGT7477
04-06-16, 08:08 PM
Keep up the good work Billy,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Tennessee Top
04-06-16, 08:25 PM
More female-biased rule changes. Got to allow them to be heavier now.

Tennessee Top
04-06-16, 08:26 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29840&stc=1

Tell me those are NOT USMC MARPAT's she's wearing!

madsox
04-07-16, 07:51 PM
You really want us to lie to ya, Top?

I gotta say though, most of these changes I like. BMI should just be dumped though, it's useless. Make the PFT and CRT harder to get top scores on? Sounds fine to me. The obsession with body fat %, not so much.

Long as you present a proper military appearance in uniform, and can hump and run and get through the O courses and such, pull your weight when the crap hits the fan, the rest of this over-regulated micromanagement is just wasted time and effort.

Like Tony said, too many REMFs and political types with too much time to write up rules.

Meanwhile I'm working on getting cut like Billy - he's my role model!

Mongoose
04-08-16, 07:48 AM
Here's a couple of young army recruit's having fun on a week-end29841

Rocky C
04-08-16, 08:02 AM
I love Cheetos. Well I used too :sick: