PDA

View Full Version : Steel My Soldiers Hearts...Lessons learned in Vietnam

MillRatUSMC
01-23-04, 03:39 PM
The hard lessons we learned in Vietnam, might be of used fighting the insurgents in Iraq.
IMHO

Exceprts from;
Steel My Soldiers Hearts
By Colonel David H. Hackworth
and Elihys England

O God of battles!steel my soldiers' hearts;
Possess them not with fear; take from them now
The sense of reckoning, if the opposed numbers
Pluck their hearts from them.
~ Henry V ~

In Infantry magazine after Hacks first tour in Vietnam.

The most important lesson to be drawn from the war in Vietnam is that a lightly equipped, poorly supplied guerrilla army cannot easily be defeated by the world's most powerful army, using conventional tactics. To defeat the guerrilla, we must become guerrillas.
Every insurgent tactic must be copied and employed against the insurgent.
The marvels of modern technology have caused some to believe that exotic gear has replaced the man with the rifle.
It is not true.
Never in history of modern warfare has the small combat unit played a more significant role...and the brunt of the fighting falls squarely on the platoon.
The outcome of the war will be determined in large part, by the skill, guts and determination of the platoon leader.

The warrior ethos that's been around at least since Joshua blew his horn at Jericho;
Rule 1: Stay alert, stay alive.
Rule 2: Keep your weapon clean, right at hand and ready to fire.
Rule 3: Trust no one except the guys on your right and on your left.
Rule 4: Always take care of your troops.
Rule 5: Know your enemy as well as you know yourself.
Rule 6" Don't forget nuthin'.

This new generation needs to be prepared now so they don't needlessly repeat old--fatal--mistakes.
Their bosses must be made to prepare them correctly, which can happen only if there an end to denial, beginning with: We did not win the war in Vietnam. And then, WHY!

Like most executives or bureaucrats in large organizations, as today's top military leaders go up the chain, they develop the disease called CRS--Can't Remember Xhit--and forget what it was like to be at the bottom.
Somewhere along the line they stopped listening to the ordinary grunts, the ones who do the actual fighting and dying, the ones who know what they need to defeat our enemies.
To ignore them is criminally stupid.

This time around, as in Vietnam, we're once again hunting and then slugging it out with an uncoventional opponent and most of the tactical advantages are his.
The terrorist is like the audience in a theater, while we're the actors on the lighted stage.
He sits shrouded in darkness, checking out our weakness and strenghts, when his attack plan is perfect, as on 11 September 2001, he strikes at the moment the target is most vulnerable.
Then he runs away to plan an even bigger and better attack for another day.
We now need to fight smart as much as we need to get even.
There is no choice.
We do it right or we lose.
We win or we die.

Cadets and new leaders who show ineptitude and little leadership ability--such as that walking atrocity Lieutenant Willaim Calley of My Lai massacre infamy--should immediately be eliminated.
Calley was recycled three times at infantry OCS after being found wanting in leadership before finally being commissioned in order to show a "low attrition rate" to higher headquarters--a bad mistake with big consequences.
More than any enemy victory, the shame and horror of My Lai caused the American people to withdraw their support for the war effort.
Once they saw what Calley had wrought, they said "Enough is enough".

My note;
We must also insure that there's no cover-ups of events such as the ambush of Jessica Lynch unit.
But there's already a lid on events and those responsible of that ambush.
Also forcing members of military to buy their own lubrication is not taking care of the troops under their command.
Hack also states about buying all this high tech stuff while ignoring the basic rifle of the infantry man or woman.
Seeking a rifle small enough to fight out a hummie is not the way to go.
This is a bandaid or fast fix.
We would be remissed if we didn't state...
It is criminal to travel with no security on the flanks.
IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

ese4mc
01-25-04, 08:30 AM
for what its worth Col. Hackworth is a soldiers Soldier--he tells what the Gen. dont want to hear--left the Army to tell his message to the powers that be,from the out side--absolutely pro soldier all the way--if the Corps does it better , he says so.--runs a web site "soldiers for the truth" (www.ssft.com") Read his scathing report on the C.G. at fort jackson--HIghest friendly fire deaths in desert storm--woefull basic traing for army male/female recruits---Be proud to serve under this guy as his troops are #1 priority

Sparrowhawk
01-25-04, 11:31 AM
Probably because, while he served five tours of duty in Vietnam, as a ranking officer, that could have made a difference at that time, had he spoken up.

Yet, he never spoke against the injustice, or lack of leadrship, equiptment, etc, until he had left the service, and that was years afterwards.

He received his awards and honors, while keeping his mouth shut. Would he have been as decorated, if he had spoken up?

"Hackworth was everywhere on cable television during the first days of the war, when early military setbacks convinced him and other retired military leaders that the administration, whose backers sold the conflict as a "cakewalk," hadn't sent enough troops to quell Iraqi resistance. He wrote a widely quoted column headlined "Stuck in the quicksand" in early April -- just as the tide seemed to turn and the pace of victory picked up again. Though he is a colonel by rank, Hackworth was counted among the so-called "television generals" the administration blasted after Baghdad fell, and many conservative admirers turned against him. " (salon.com)

Now, Hackworth is coming back to take another shot at how ineffective the war in Iraq is and this of course this will get him into more TV programs and he'll sell more books, and the price is more people coming out againts the war and our military men.

<hr>

From Steel My Soldiers’ Hearts
"The outcome of the war will be determined in large part, by the skill, guts and determination of the platoon leader. " Hackworth.

http://img.slate.msn.com/media/51000/51011/bRODNER_HACKWORTH1.JPG

My note;
In the Marine Corps there is no absence of leadership, and it is usually the grunt that determines what the outcome will be. It is the Squad or fireteam leader that I saw, make the call that made the diffence, in the battles in Vietnam, we saw some of these same leadership skills recently being deployed in Iraq by Marines.

I wouldn't trust nor allow Hackworth to carry my ammo.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2381

<hr>

http://www.mca-marines.org/GAZETTE/2003/graphics/03BrozakBR.jpg

"Steel My Soldiers’ Hearts conveys what many might see as a politically incorrect message: that to prevent combat we must condition our fighters to become relentless warriors.

In the final analysis, war isn’t how training exercises go. It is a long, hard, dirty job—and those who forget that either become or cause others to become casualties." Marine Gazette

http://www.mca-marines.org/GAZETTE/2003/03brozakBR.html

VMGRMech
01-25-04, 01:43 PM
I have a new signature

MillRatUSMC
01-25-04, 05:32 PM
He not the most likeable fellow.
But he does offer some suggestions on how we must fight the insurgents in Iraq.
The Hard Fist that the Army is using now is only generating more insurgents.
Even from his book, I finding self-serving to Col Hackworth.
But one must keep an open mind.
The Army refused to listen to the leadership of the Marine Corps in Vietnam.
Instead of using the CAP program. they chosed to fight a war of attrition.
That was measured by the "BODY COUNT", resulting on many being killed that weren't combatants.
General Giap, wanted a war of attrition, knowing that we couldn't kill enough of them to tire them but the American people would start questioning our government on all the deaths in Vietnam.
The Army of today in Iraq, has seen that a "Hard Fist" doesn't work, maybe they will follow the Marine Corps "Velet Glove" approach.
If the "Hard Fist" isn't stubbed in the butt, we will have generated more insurgents than there are now.
We need a presence on the ground.
Several have stated, that we should not have got rid of the Iraqi' Army.
We facing many problems like we faced in Vietnam.
BUT someone has to come with a solution or there will be a bloody civil war, with us in the middle.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS Should Col David Hackworth done the same thing as John Paul Vann?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0679724141.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

A Bright Shining Lie :
John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam

Westmoreland, the Commanding General in Vietnam and how he believed that the Viet Cong would not attack Saigon during "Tet" the Chinese New Year in 1968. Vann believed that they would and they did.

Earlier he was bothered that, "...the United States could generate an astonishing reaction from the peasantry once corruption was eliminated and the American millions were getting down to the poor instead of being siphoned into the feeding trough of the Saigon hogs"

I was under the belief that he resign because of under-reporting of the Order of Battle of those we were fighting.
He placed a higher figure than what MCAV was reporting.
That under-reporting came back as Tet of 68

VMGRMech
01-25-04, 06:34 PM
I remember the HBO movie version of Bright Shining Lie, I thought it was a very interesting story, maybe I'll pick up the book too.

FREEBIRD
01-26-04, 11:25 AM
I have read the last 3-4 post and don't agree with much of it at all, I think Hackworth was a bull**** artist , like Ivalis said he didn't do **** until it was too late!!! Reason for this......go figure, he wanted to reap his rewards first, and now he's still trying to reap from anybody dumb enough to read/buy/watch!!!
He was like most of the Brass, not what my troops need but whats in it for me??? don't do what the troops say, do what will get me more publicity and reconition!!!
Maybe I'm all wrong but thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Sempers Marines
Freebird