PDA

View Full Version : Marine Bob Keeshan "Captain Kangaroo" dead at 76

Super Dave
01-23-04, 01:01 PM
QUECHEE, Vt. - Bob Keeshan, known to generations of children as TV personality Captain Kangaroo, has died at 76. Keeshan died of a long illness, his family said in a statement.

Keeshan’s “Captain Kangaroo” debuted on CBS television in 1955 and ran for 30 years before moving to public television for six more. The program was wildly popular among children and won six Emmy Awards, three Gabriels and three Peabody Awards.

The format was simple: Each day, Captain Kangaroo, with his sugar-bowl haircut and uniform coat, would wander through his Treasure House, chatting with his good friend Mr. Green Jeans, played by Hugh “Lumpy” Brannum.

He would visit with puppet animals, like Bunny Rabbit, who was scolded for eating too many carrots, and Mr. Moose, who loved to tell knock-knock jokes. A favorite sketch involved Mister Moose dropping ping-pong balls on the Captain's head.

But the show revolved about the grandfatherly Captain Kangaroo, whose name was inspired by the kangaroo pouch-like pockets of the coat Keeshan wore.

“I was impressed with the potential positive relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, so I chose an elderly character,” Keeshan said.

Before portraying the Captain, Keeshan was the first actor to play sidekick Clarabell the Clown on the "Howdy Doody Show."

Keeshan was the author of numerous books, including "Growing Up Happy: Captain Kangaroo Tells Yesterday's Children How To Nurture Their Own" and "Good Morning Captain: 50 Wonderful Years With Bob Keeshan: TV's Captain Kangaroo." He also wrote a series of books about a character called "Itty Bitty Kitty

Bob Keeshan enlisted in The Marine Corp is 1945.

thedrifter
01-23-04, 01:08 PM
Sad.....

My wife use to watch him......;)

May he rest in Peace

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

locobrujo
01-23-04, 01:27 PM
Another Marine at the Gates.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

thedrifter
01-23-04, 01:31 PM
BOB KEESHAN • TV Personality

Keeshan was the creator and star of the long-running children's morning show Captain Kangaroo. Gentle and reassuring, with a bright red jacket and crown of silver hair, Captain Kangaroo read books, visited with animals, and cavorted with a cast of regulars including the folksy handyman Mr. Greenjeans and the puppets Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit. (Mr. Moose's knock-knock jokes ended with ping-pong balls falling from the ceiling; Bunny Rabbit invariably tricked the Captain out of bunches of carrots.) The show ran in various forms on the CBS network from 1955-1984; its heyday was the 1960s and 1970s, when it ran for an hour every weekday morning. Keeshan had earlier played Clarabell the Clown on the popular Howdy Doody TV show from 1947-52. After Captain Kangaroo ended, Keeshan continued to be an eager and outspoken advocate for quality children's programming.

Extra credit: Keeshan's 1995 memoirs were titled Good Morning, Captain... Mr. Greenjeans was played by veteran actor Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum... Clarabell the Clown didn't speak, honking a horn instead... Actor John McDonough played Captain Kangaroo in a short-lived 1990s revival of the show, The All-New Captain Kangaroo... Keeshan was inducted into the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Hall of Fame in 1998... Keeshan's long early-morning run coincided roughly with the long late-night run of Johnny Carson.

Keeshan joined the Marine Corps in 1945 but did not see action in World War II; the popular Internet rumor that he fought on Iwo Jima alongside actor Lee Marvin is not true. For details, see our loop Legends of E-Mail.

http://www.who2.com/bobkeeshan.html

snipowsky
01-23-04, 01:55 PM
Captain Kangaroo I'll relieve you Sir when I get to those gates of heaven! As a child you made me laugh so many times, and I will surely miss you! May God bless you wherever you are! God's Army is definitely stronger with a Marine like you by his side! Today is a day that not only am I mourning, but the whole Marine Corps community is and we will all miss you! WE ALL SALUTE YOU!

Semper Fidelis Brother and Godspeed to you!:no:

Robbie0311/1800
01-23-04, 02:03 PM
Today a great Marine has gone away but he stands watch over all
the Children in Heaven and Earth.
Taps for Great man and Life For a Marine.
Robbie
www.platoon323.com

jinelson
01-23-04, 02:28 PM
The world has lost a wonderful gentle man and we have lost a brother. God speed Bob.

Did anyone know that he also was Clarabell the Clown on the howdy doody show?

Semper Fi
Jim

Robbie0311/1800
01-23-04, 02:30 PM
Yes Sir
Robbie

GySgtRet
01-23-04, 03:06 PM
Rest in Peace Bob

He made me laugh when I was a young boy too.

Semper Fidelis

MillRatUSMC
01-23-04, 04:15 PM
Marine Hugh Brannum (Mr. Green Jeans) was also a Marine.
Marine Bob Keeshan "Captain Kangaroo" has joined many Marines now guarding Heavens gates.
Rest In peace Bob

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

GySgtRet
01-23-04, 05:34 PM
Richardo,

I didn't that Mr Green jeans was a MARINE TOO.........!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fidelis

ridingcrops
01-23-04, 06:08 PM
Always sad to hear we lost another Marine.
Semper Fi Bob!

Sixguns
01-23-04, 06:18 PM
I remember the show and the man. Semper Fi, Marine.

Devildogg4ever
01-23-04, 07:20 PM
I will always remember him and his show!! He will be missed!

greensideout
01-23-04, 07:43 PM
He brought us a lot of fun when we were children.
Thank you, to the Marine who was Captian Kangaroo.

Makes me wonder---should the credit be given to him for the cargo pockets on the uniforms that we now have?

Sparrowhawk
01-23-04, 10:02 PM
During WWII any other stories about his time in the Corps?

I never knew he was a Marine until the news reporter said, he was "A Marine, during WWII," and that's it.

Anyone have any more info?

SF, to the Captain

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/Flag1.gif

yellowwing
01-24-04, 12:17 AM
I guess he's giving Chesty Puller a good belly laugh now! Semper Fi Bob!