PDA

View Full Version : Pre-enlistment questions.

DGrant
03-31-16, 04:41 PM
Hello everyone, I am seriously considering joining the Marines with an interest in reconnaissance. However, I am not certain if my vision meets the requirements.

Today I went in for my annual eye exam and I asked for the numbers. Before the doctor came in, the nurse did some tests and told me my left eye is 20/40 and my right eye is 20/20 with glasses. When the doctor came in and did his tests, my best result for my left eye came down to 20/25. However, it took me a lot of trying to get that 40 down to 25, I had to look around the line a lot and ended up listing the letters backwards through a sort of trial-and-error process. This is because I have a very mild case of "lazy eye" in my left eye.

Do I have any hope of getting in with my vision the way it is now? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? If I know I at least have a fighting chance at proving my worth, I will take it. I am prepared to spend the remainder of the year training myself as needed and I am prepared to drop money in to PRK eye surgery to make that 20/40-20/20 with glasses to 20/40-20/20 without.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for your time.

Tennessee Top
03-31-16, 07:54 PM
You need to go talk to a recruiter. Nobody here can answer these questions for you.

Come back and let us know what they say and good luck.

devilbones2
03-31-16, 08:09 PM
A GT of 105 or higher
No moral waivers
No drug waivers
Eyesight correctable to 20/20
Not colorblind
The ability to obtain a secret clearance

MunkyVsRobot
04-02-16, 08:07 PM
Wear glasses, don't be dumb. All keys to success.

DGrant
04-04-16, 03:53 AM
I will get in contact with a recruiter. The recruiting station here in town is always closed, but I found a contact card on the door.

Thanks for the responses.

Rocky C
04-04-16, 09:54 AM
Basic MARSOC/Force Recon Qualifications.

Be a U.S. citizen.

Score 105 or higher on the GT portion of the ASVAB.

Tip: Scoring high on the ASVAB is key to being able to join an elite team like the Marine Corps' Force Recon. It also makes a difference when it comes to enlistment bonuses and choosing your MOS. Visit our Ace the ASVAB section to learn how to make sure you qualify for the bonuses and career options you deserve.

Possess a 1st class swimmer qualification.

Obtain a first class score on the PFT.

Have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test.

Complete Marine Rifleman Course.

Assigned as a primary Military Occupational Specialty to entry-level Marines and obtain a manager-approved lateral-move.

Marines who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).

Volunteers from any MOS may be certified for AMOS only by Recon unit commanders after attending the SRC or through MOJT at a BRC endorsed unit-training program to include 6 months in an MOS 0321 billet.

Be eligible for a secret security clearance.

Be selected for and graduate from the Marine Special Operations School (MSOS).