PDA

View Full Version : why????

helen25
01-23-04, 10:18 AM
i was just wanting to know what was the rep vietnam gallantry cross foreign medal issued for?

radio relay
01-23-04, 11:49 AM
Everyone who served "in country" is eligible for the unit citation. It's not real clear whether a medal goes along with it, or not. In some "official" rule books it says yes, in others, just the bracketed ribbon with palm device. Bottom line.. the unit citation is a fancy sounding bs award that everybody got.

The idividual awards were primarily given to advisors, and those serving with ARVN units. They carry a little more weight, as actually being given for acts of heroism. They come with either a gold star, silver star, or palm leaf device, depending on type of award.

Unless it's specifically listed on a DD-214, it's almost impossible to prove (or disprove, for that matter) if someone was awarded the indiviual award, because obviously the Republic Of Vietnam, and it's records, no longer exists.

SF :marine:

helen25
01-23-04, 01:29 PM
well i dont know why my dad got it but he was in a rvn cannon cocker well i was just wanting to know thats all