PDA

View Full Version : 29 Palms

futuremarine0
03-27-16, 06:18 PM
So I always see that Marines hate 29 Palms, so my question is why is it so bad to go to 29 Palms? Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Rocky C
03-27-16, 06:25 PM
Why are you asking ? Your not even in the DEP yet. What does this have to do with you enlisting in the Marine Corps ? Have you spoken to a recruiter yet ?

Under your post you can learn all about it by reading " Similar Threads ".

Tennessee Top
03-27-16, 08:41 PM
Hello! It's in the middle of the Mojave Desert - and there are less than 29 Palms on the entire base!! Nearest big city is two hours away (Palm Springs). If you like 100+ degree temps, sand, and scorpions that's the place to be!!

LCPL1341
03-27-16, 10:22 PM
I personally enjoyed it. You have two gyms at your disposal (full size gyms with basketball courts and weight rooms/cardio equipment), tons of desert trails at your disposal if you're into running and just being out in the open. If you have a car, Palm Springs is nearby (about 30-40 mins driving), Los Angeles and the beaches are about 2.5 hours away, Vegas is about 3 hours away, Lake Havasu is also within driving distance as is Big Bear and all manners of outdoor activities. Basically, regardless of what you're into, whether it's outdoor stuff, or night life, it's there for you assuming you have a car and/or buddy that drives. Tons of great restaurants (Yard House in Palm Desert for example)....just alot to do. I never understood the 29 Palms hate to be honest. The only downside was in the summer where temps regularly hit 3 digits mid-day. But I personally enjoyed it. I'll tell you this, I'd do 29 Palms a thousand times over before I ever do Okinawa. I feel like the people who hated 29 Palms didn't really leave the barracks much anyway on weekends.

mexbearlll
03-28-16, 01:23 AM
Shoot, I just got back from there visiting My Grandkids . I was Stationed twice and enjoyed it there.

m14ed
03-28-16, 07:20 AM
I've heard and said just like the rest of the crowd.

Only TWO duty stations you ever like.
Your LAST one,
and your NEXT one.

usually never matters where you are
you usually don't have enough time
or enough money to make you happy