PDA

View Full Version : What to expect if I enlist this year (2016)

FloatingFatMan
03-26-16, 02:56 AM
Hello everybody! I was hoping to hear from some current Marines or any who have served recently. With war draw downs and what not, I was wondering what I could expect if I were to enlist under an infantry contract? What kind of training would I receive? How often would I be training? What activities would dominate most of my days? Any information helps. Thank you in advance!

Rocky C
03-26-16, 08:33 AM
Seriously ?

This question gets asked everyday here. Please use the search box on the top right corner of the page. It says " search ". You will find 12,896 questions and answers there on Infantry.

"Floating Fat Man" is the username you have chosen ? unreal....another troll it seems....

Tennessee Top
03-26-16, 09:23 AM
Not real difficult to figure out.

Training: Defensive tactics, offensive tactics, squad tactics, platoon tactics, patrolling tactics, amphibious assault tactics, airborne assault tactics, ambush tactics, anti IED tactics, likely avenues of approach by the enemy, selecting fields of fire for crew-served weapons, etc.

How often: every day

Activities: PT (before daylight), breakfast, morning formation, training (see above), lunch, training, dinner. Repeat next day.

FloatingFatMan
03-26-16, 01:11 PM
Hey Rocky, sorry for bringing up a common question. Literally had it on my mind for awhile and thought I would ask it, I should have done research on this site beforehand. The reason I ask is because I have heard that with peacetime comes a lot of things that Marines dislike such as uniform inspection and other such activities. I am not too knowledgeable on what life would be like for an infantry Marine during a time like this, but I will search the forums.

Top - Is it really done almost every day? It wouldn't slow down during peacetime?

jab116
03-26-16, 11:26 PM
It really depends on the unit you go to and where they are in their work up. If they are getting ready to deploy then you will be training a lot. If they just got back from a deployment, expect a lot of admin stuff to do. However, your chain of command will always find a way to keep your skills up to par, no matter what you're doing.

FloatingFatMan
03-27-16, 01:40 AM
Awesome, thank you jab116. That's exactly what I was looking for. Good to know that no matter what, at least I will be well trained in what I signed up for. Thanks again!