PDA

View Full Version : POG SGT looking to join RECON

AMATX
03-21-16, 12:42 AM
Brothers and sisters, had a question for you. If this question has already been answered then I apologize and would appreciate a link to the information. Did a bit of searching and didn't see anything. First off I think it's awesome we have this site. Good to see other devil dogs prior and current. So a bit about myself did 5 years as an Air Traffic Controller (7251) and got out in '14 as a Sergeant. No deployments. I Miss the **** out of the corps. Doing the same job in the civilian sector but got to admit I feel like I've lost something and want to get it back. Even if it's just a weekend warrior type of deal. So the closest reserve unit is Recon. I'm willing to humble myself to go through ITB and BRC being that I'm as POG as it gets. I was just wondering if you had any experiences and opinions with POG/airwing NCO's in ITB and/or BRC and how they've adjusted to their unit afterward. Thanks for the help

-Mike

elkbow
03-21-16, 07:13 AM
Can't give you anything other than my opinion. If your homesick, come home jarhead! You will adapt and overcome, you already know what your facing. I think it would be safe to say that all have experienced this sense of loss after leaving the brotherhood, it's your life and your decision to make. You never stated whether you were single or married but you have to consider how this decision will effect all those involved in your life.

Rocky C
03-21-16, 08:39 AM
First off I sent you a PM about squaring away your profile Marine.

You will get a lot more answers when it's completed.

Yup, were real adamant when it comes to that.

Welcome to the forum Brother.

Tennessee Top
03-21-16, 09:16 AM
You're definitely not alone. Many get out, only to discover civilian life is not all it's cracked-up to be. It's a huge leap from air winger POG to RECON Marine. If you can accomplish it - props to you. I personally don't know of anyone who did. The conventional path to becoming RECON is to be in a grunt unit and then volunteer to go through their screening process. Not sure how this works for reservists however.

FYI. You're not restricted to just the nearest reserve unit. If you're willing to commute to drill weekends, you can actually join a reserve unit in another city. Our reserve company here in Knoxville is a combat engineer company. However, there are reservists living in Knoxville who commute to Johnson City, TN and belong to a RECON company (and vice-versa). Also, a RECON reserve unit will have support MOS's (admin, supply, etc). You should arrange a visit with the reserve unit to see what MOS's they actually need - it may not even be RECON.

Your first step is finding a prior service recruiter willing to work your case. Easier said than done.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you. Questions about getting back in come up a lot here. Your thread may help someone in the future.

elkbow
03-21-16, 09:22 AM
Why is it so hard to get back in after you've had a break in service? It would seem to me that it would be easier to get back in?

Tennessee Top
03-21-16, 10:37 AM
Priority for recruiters is high school seniors. An E-1 is a lot cheaper than an E-5 (and less chance they come with dependents attached which is another burden to the service). True, they don't come with any experience which is a negative. Mostly boils down to saving money - which is what the DOD is all about today (that, and gender equity).

Rocky C
03-21-16, 10:39 AM
Thank you Mike for squaring away your profile. Welcome to the forum brother.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Tennessee Top
03-21-16, 10:44 AM
Also, the troop drawdown (Congress-mandated sequestration) makes it difficult to reenlist to begin with.

AMATX
03-21-16, 12:13 PM
Rocky C, thanks brother.

Elkbow, thanks for the feedback. I am married and my wife supports what ever decision I make. Yeah it's funny how that works. Everyone tells you you'll miss it, and I was on the fence about getting out but a good job opportunity came up and didn't want to pass it up. Now that I have it I'm grateful for the job but that inkling in the back of my mind has been telling me to come back to the brotherhood. Never had better comraderie and the satisfaction of being with my fellow brothers and sisters serving. Out of curiosity are you still in?

Tennessee Top, thanks for your insight. I'll definitely talk to the prior service recruiter to see what my options are. If they have recon available I think I'll try for that though. Would like a challenge and a challenge is definitely what I'll get.

advanced
03-21-16, 12:40 PM
I wasn't recon, just a grunt, but be careful for what you ask for. Recon is a big step for a grunt used to the life, one hell of a step for a pog.

AMATX
03-21-16, 04:33 PM
Advanced, you're right it will be difficult to say the least. Thanks for the response

jab116
03-21-16, 06:43 PM
If you go Recon even as a reservist, expect to spend at least a year going through the pipeline followed by a deployment. It's a big commitment. What about recon besides the challenge is appealing to you? Also don't discredit yourself, ATC is a legit mos. The ability to deal with pressure and make decisions is invaluable and pays dividends, espically in the infantry.

elkbow
03-21-16, 10:33 PM
Amatx, no, unfortunately I'm not, way too old. I miss it something terrible and have for a long, long time. The Marine Corps is something that never leaves you if it meant anything to you! I'll leave it at that before I get all misty eyed.

elkbow
03-21-16, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping they'll start an ole geezer platoon someday for old Jarheads like me. I just don't know how they'll make it possible for afternoon naps, Metamucil breaks, and give us time for our arthritis meds. kick in. If they can work these small details in then I'm game for sure.

Rocky C
03-22-16, 08:37 AM
Hahahahaha, that was great Brother :thumbup:

AMATX
03-22-16, 10:33 PM
jab116, I don't discredit myself at all. I just know that I will have a lot to learn on the ground side. It's appealing just to know that i'm capable of doing it. I'm sure everyone wants to test their self. Just so happens that they are close to me and that kind of got me into thinking of what am i waiting for.

elkbow, I don't know about metamucil or arthritis meds, but I hear the corpsman has a never ending suply of motrin!

elkbow
03-23-16, 06:12 AM
That's good to hear, maybe the powers to be are considering an ole geezer platoon. I know nobody wants to deal with me before I've had my morning coffee and be- cool meds. We're extremely dangerous and unpredictable early in the mornings, just ask my wife. We work better as they day wears on ( arthritis ) you know.
I hope the best for you and if your family supports you, by all means, go for it! I didn't realize it was that difficult to get back in after broken service. Don't let the opportunity pass you by and look back with regret! It's better to go for it than set back feeling like an old warrior that has outlived his usefulness. you'll learn why they say " Once a Marine, always a Marine "!