Issue Date: January 26, 2004 <br />
<br />
Messed up? How to make a comeback <br />
<br />
By Gordon Lubold <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
So you messed up. Now what? <br />
It’s possible for Marines to recover from a potentially...

lurchenstein
01-23-04, 01:51 AM
One "awe sh*t" can blot out a dozen "attaboys".

yellowwing
01-23-04, 03:44 AM
I think it depends on the rank also. In El Toro I saw a senior Sgt go from being on the next month's SSgt selectee list, to junior Cpl over a DUI.

I also saw two Cpls get their records expunged and rank reinstated after 6 months of b*ll breaking work. One of them actually went on to be a Mustang!

Both punishments were from the same BN CO. He was a fair but tough aviator. Though he was the HQ Squadron CO, he still had to do his flight hours. When a unit was doing particularly well, he'd invite any unit member to fly with him to Hawaii for the standard $10.

leroy8541
01-27-04, 06:34 PM
Personnally I think no one joins the Marine Corps to be a ****-bird. It just happens. Kids come in with stars in their eyes, thinking war stuff,going oorah oorah when reality of the fleet sits in, the big career killer for young Marines BOREDOM. I have seen these guys, heck I was these guys. I'll use one of my best bros for an example I'll call him Guido, that was his nickname. Out in the field you couldn't find a better Marine, expert rifleman, always there in the very end on the humps, with his load and someone elses. Snoop and Poop, this man was a killer!! On the other hand in the rear with the bull, inspections and such he couldn't handle it, and a three day pass forget it he had a taste for the mesican beauties, and tequillia. Which lead to a fair amount of NJP rounds for Guido. This kinda proves my point these young marines are going straight to combat and staying in high alert status alot of training going on, more field time less boredom. Less office hours.