PDA

View Full Version : Marines investigating recruit's death at Parris Island boot camp

Rocky C
03-19-16, 11:37 AM
3-18-2016

A Marine recruit has died during boot camp at the Marine Corps' East Coast training depot.

Officials are investigating the death of a recruit at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, Marine Corps Times has confirmed.

The death occurred Friday, said Capt. Gregory Carroll, a spokesman for the training depot. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is trying to determine the circumstances surrounding the death.

The family has been notified, Carroll said. The recruit's name has not yet been released. No further details about the incident were available on Saturday.

The recruit’s death, which was first reported by the Washington Post, comes after a recruit drowned at the depot in 2005 and another died in 2009 after finishing his physical fitness test. A drill instructor was also found dead in base housing in 2014.

Male and female recruits train at Parris Island. Women from all across the country attend boot camp there. Men who live east of the Mississippi River when they enlist in the Marine Corps also train there. About 20,000 recruits come to Parris Island each year for 13 weeks of training.

There is so much of this lately.

So young, so sad.....

Tennessee Top
03-19-16, 08:24 PM
Will be interesting to see what the investigation says. Likely see some changes in the training (that's normally when changes are made).

Natalie P
03-20-16, 01:56 PM
Another one ?

So, so sad :(

Big Boz
03-20-16, 08:18 PM
Another one ?

So, so sad :(

No kidding. My son told me that a Marine he knew just committed suicide on Friday night on Lejeune. In the 6 years I was in, I don't remember hearing about any suicides, but there were plenty of needless accidental deaths.

Rocky C
03-21-16, 10:06 AM
3-21-2016

** Update **

Marines identify recruit who died during boot camp at Parris Island.

Marine Corps officials have identified the recruit who died Friday at the service's East Coast training depot as Raheel Siddiqui, of Taylor, Michigan.

Siddiqui, 20, arrived at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, on March 7 and was assigned to Recruit Training Regiment, said Capt. Gregory Carroll, a spokesman for the training depot.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service, along with local military authorities, are looking into the circumstances surrounding Siddiqui’s death, said Carroll, who declined to provide additional information about how Siddiqui died.

“Our most sincere and deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Siddiqui,” Carroll said. “The Marine Corps is in contact with the family to ensure they receive our support.”

Men who live east of the Mississippi river and all women who become Marines train at Parris Island. About 20,000 recruits pass through the training depot each year for 13 weeks of intensive training.

Deaths during recruit training at Parris Island are not common. One recruit drowned at the depot in 2005 and another died after finishing his physical fitness test.

MunkyVsRobot
03-31-16, 05:28 PM
An update to this story..

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/03/31/parris-island-commander-fired-after-ig-investigation/82464478/?=cache

(http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/03/31/parris-island-commander-fired-after-ig-investigation/82464478/?=cache)A commander at the Marine Corps’ East Coast training depot has been fired after being investigated for alleged misconduct.
Lt. Col. Joshua Kissoon, commanding officer of the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, was relieved on Thursday, according to a news release from the training depot. He had assumed command of the training battalion June 25, 2014.
Col. Paul Cucinotta, commanding officer of the Recruit Training Regiment, relieved Kissoon due to “a loss of trust and confidence in Kissoon's abilities to serve in command after reviewing the results of an Inspector General of the Marine Corps' investigation,” according to the news release.
“An investigation pertaining to Lt. Col. Kissoon was conducted by the Office of the Inspector General of the Marine Corps and provided to Col. Cucinotta on Feb. 29, 2016,” said Capt. Gregory Carroll, a spokesman for the training depot.
Carroll did not elaborate on what allegations the IG looked into or whether they were substantiated, but stressed that it wasn't tied to a recent recruit's death at the depot.
Cucinotta received the results of the investigation Feb. 29 and decided to relieve Kissoon of command March 17, one day before Recruit Raheel Siddiqui died, Carroll said. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service has launched an investigation into Siddiqui’s death. No foul play is suspected, an NCIS spokesman said.
“The decision to relieve Lt. Col. Kissoon was based solely on specific, isolated acts associated with allegations of misconduct and is not a reflection of the performance of the battalion or its Marines,” Carroll said.

Kissoon enlisted in the Marine Corps in April 1990 and was commissioned as an officer in August 1996, according to his official biography.

He served as a Latin American foreign area officer in Peru and as a logistics adviser to the Colombian marine corps' riverine brigade. Kissoon also deployed to Iraq and to Afghanistan as the commanding officer of Marine Corps Logistics Command (forward), according to his bio.

(http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/03/31/parris-island-commander-fired-after-ig-investigation/82464478/?=cache)

Kegler300
03-31-16, 05:32 PM
So, was the recruit hazed to death by a drill instructor, and the CO is relieved?

PJones64
03-31-16, 09:13 PM
Could have been a lot of things that caused the recruits death, including the recruits name.

Mongoose
04-01-16, 05:27 AM
Lots of accidental deaths in Nam......not a good place to pizz off your fellow, half crazy Marine grunts. And an even worse place to be a shetty platoon leader. They didn't call us Snuffies just for the hell of it.

gkmoz
04-01-16, 07:02 AM
The story I read is that he just walked out of the squad bay and straight off the third level of the barracks to his death? looked but I can't find the article Sorry!

I
think the article was about Marines on P.I. ?

Rocky C
04-01-16, 08:49 AM
This is the real story.

Siddiqui, who died March 18 on Parris Island, belonged to the Third Recruit Training Battalion, according to Carroll.

Siddiqui, 20, of Taylor, Mich., arrived at Parris Island on March 7.

His family told Detroit’s WDIV-Channel 4 on March 21 that a casualty report they’d received from the Marine Corps stated Siddiqui passed out during a drill and, when awakened by a drill instructor, got up and “ran out the back hatch of the squad bay and jumped over the ladderwell wall ... falling three stories before landing on the ground.”

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service says there are “no apparent signs of foul play” in Siddiqui’s death.

“NCIS does not discuss the details of ongoing investigations, but I can confirm that (Siddiqui’s) death is due to injuries sustained in a nearly 40-foot fall in a barracks stairwell,” NCIS spokesman Ed Buice wrote in an email sent Monday to the newspapers.

The ongoing NCIS investigation can take several months, Buice said.

Siddiqui’s body arrived in Detroit on March 24, and his funeral was the following day.

Natalie P
04-01-16, 02:09 PM
OMG ! The poor boy. He must have got a concussion when he passed out and fell down and then doesn't know where he is and runs off the end of the building. <br />
<br />
What the h*ll is wrong with the Drill...

Rocky C
04-01-16, 06:18 PM
Excellent point Natalie and I agree :thumbup:

Kegler300
04-01-16, 06:23 PM
Yep, the drill instructor should have been fired, no the CO, which is the point I was trying make in an earlier post.

MunkyVsRobot
04-02-16, 08:12 PM
I assume the CO must have had some knowledge of what was going on or should have and was relieved as a result. It doesnt say what happened to the DI there may have been something else that happened to him and just not released or releasable. Maybe he took it to court martial and the rights of the accused he is protected from some stuff.. Who knows on that end.