PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Lat Move + Online College?

Warzik
03-17-16, 09:44 PM
Rah!

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this question is asked frequently. So I have been in the Marine Corps., for almost a year now. I chose my MOS active duty 03xx, and got chosen to be an 0352:tank: which I enjoy but don't have a great passion for. My recruiter never mentioned any 2 year lat moves, I seemed to have discovered it over-time through the interwebs. It sounds like they are rare also. I am a firefighter back home (volunteer) and would love to further my education in it, as I may want to try to pick up a paid position which is very competitive. Infact I cant get myself away from trying to learn more in the fire service. If I pick it up as a MOS and train everyday in crash fire rescue that would be perfect then just "military experience" on a resume, alongside with that I would be super happy! (Infantry still comes with its unique pros) Yeah I was warned about it when I chose my jobs and I did make my decision, but I'm hoping to hear its still possible to do a lateral move and what I would need to do when I pass my 2 year mark. I do plan on staying for just one enlistment so I hope I'm not "SOL". I'm doing a bunch of courses on marinenet just for certifications for when I get into the civilian world to put into fire department records or go to apply for a fire job. Those certs may not mean a lot but atleast they show passion and continuous education while in the military. I work hard as an 0352 and still continue to learn and take courses, and ask plenty of questions on my MOS to show how much of a hard worker I am and how I apply myself, so maybe that would also even help?

Second question, online college. How would I go about to beginning college courses online as far as chain of command is concerned. I want to major in fire science (surprise) and try to get some college in and save time for when I get out. We have a deployment coming up in August for Japan and Korea, so I was thinking if I should ask about enrolling in college courses after the deployment?
As I know my military training would probably be altered. I'm pretty sure that's the best choice for Chain of command approval but I just wanna grab some opinions while I'm on here.

Thanks!
~ Semper Fi :usmc:

Tennessee Top
03-17-16, 10:19 PM
LAT Move: talk to your Career Planner. Recruiters don't mention them because they don't deal with them and don't know the rules. Career Planners do.

Online college: talk to your education/training NCO.

FYI. There was a prior service Marine on here just this week (don't remember what thread he used). He is a civilian fire fighter and wants to reenlist on active duty. Sounds like he would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Point is: the grass is not always greener on the other side. And, be careful what you ask for because you may just get it.

Good luck Devil.