PDA

View Full Version : Poolee and dep program question

Kyknight73
03-04-16, 11:54 AM
I'm 18 have have started paperwork to go to meps and I'm 5'11 220 I make the enlistment weight for the Marines but my recruiter says that I need to be 197 before I ship. But I can pass my ist no problem I have under a 12 minute 1.5 mile I can do 60 something sit-ups in 2 minutes and I can do 8 pullups. Does anyone know if I can still ship if I'm not to my ship weight of 197? I was told my a private that just graduated that one of the guys he knew at boot was 15 lbs over his ship weight and he shipped to bootcamp but my recruiter is telling me I have to be 197

Zulu 36
03-04-16, 12:23 PM
If your recruiter says 197 max, then it is 197 max. What may, or may not, have happened with another recruit has no bearing on you. Your IST score is nothing to brag about. Do you plan to be a fat body while in the Corps? If so, plan on another branch of service.

I doubt, in this day and age, any poolee was allowed to ship 15lbs over.

Tennessee Top
03-04-16, 12:36 PM
Most recruiters won't accept just the minimum scores/requirements for anything (they'll add a fudge-factor to be safe).

Your recruiter doesn't just make up the rules as he goes along. He gets his orders from his Commanding Officer at their district headquarters. So, if he says 197 max to ship, that means his CO wants you at 197 max to ship (or, 197 is his fudge factor to make sure you meet his CO's requirement).

Like Zulu 36, I don't believe for one second any poolee shipped 15lbs overweight (especially if a boot private said it). All that would mean is, that recruit would immediately be dropped to the PCP (physical conditioning platoon) and stay there till they lost the weight. At the same time, that fat body recruit's recruiter would get a nasty phone call from the Recruit Training Regiment wanting to know why he is wasting their time like that. A little common sense prevails here.

LCPL1341
03-04-16, 04:49 PM
As stated earlier, the only person who's opinion matters on your weight, is you recruiter. He says you need to be at 197; guess what? You will get to 197 if you want to ship to bootcamp. Taking this into account, you need to lose the excess weight. Also, if I hear someone say they're 220 lbs at 5'11, then I see they put up weak IST scores (your scores are rather weak), this tells me that he isn't just a muscular guy who's in shape; it tell me he's not really in shape. So lose the weight, keep it off, and if you need tips on weight loss, comment on this thread asking for them.

Kyknight73
03-04-16, 05:08 PM
As stated earlier, the only person who's opinion matters on your weight, is you recruiter. He says you need to be at 197; guess what? You will get to 197 if you want to ship to bootcamp. Taking this into account, you need to lose the excess weight. Also, if I hear someone say they're 220 lbs at 5'11, then I see they put up weak IST scores (your scores are rather weak), this tells me that he isn't just a muscular guy who's in shape; it tell me he's not really in shape. So lose the weight, keep it off, and if you need tips on weight loss, comment on this thread asking for them.

I understand my scores aren't very impressive and I'm not body builder or anything but from where I started less than a year ago to where I am now I'm satisfied but I have a lot of work ahead of me. In high school all I did was lift free weights not run or lift my body weight for the most part.I also understand that I cannot ship unless my recruiter allows me to I was just merely asking to see if it's even possible to ship over weight. Also in the past 3 months I went from 255 lbs to 220 so getting down to 197 in say 3 to 4 months is no problem.

MunkyVsRobot
03-04-16, 05:18 PM
the reason you have to be at 197 is that is your max weight for your height in the Marine Corps. If you show up over weight you will go straight to the porkchop plt.

LCPL1341
03-04-16, 07:02 PM
Good, so you know what you need to do. Do it.

Rocky C
03-05-16, 07:27 AM
Sounds like you won't have a problem then making weight.

Keep it done and keep us posted please.

To answer your question, no, you will not ship if you are over 197. Your recruiter has the final say.

Best of luck.

USMC 2571
03-05-16, 07:39 AM
Here's a little informational piece by Wayne (chulaivet1966) which he gave me permission to use whenever someone asked about losing weight. Will locate it shortly and post it for the OP

USMC 2571
03-05-16, 07:41 AM
Good day all (from chulaivet1966) (posted months ago) OP....as stated, it's mathematics. Too many calories in the plate and not enough activity to burn them off. Along with other comments... The body needs carbs but you need to reduce them significantly for the task at hand. For carbs...a couple pieces whole wheat toast or oatmeal in the morning. Maybe a small potato, small portion or rice/pasta or beans at night with dinner. Don't eat late at night. Stay away from all simple carbs/sugars: no sodas (that shvt is poison if it's a daily habit) no twinkies, ho-ho's, chips, ice cream or common cereals and other empty crap that poses as actual food. For hot cereal - oatmeal, for cold cereal - Cheerios (if you're a cereal eater in the morning). Protein: Stick with lean meats, chicken, pork, eggs, etc. NOTE: the body prefers to burn fat cells as energy. If you keep the carbs very low then the body will grab the fat cells to burn for energy. Start a daily cardio routine on a bike or treadmill (I'd suggest the bike) Work up to about 30-40 minute cardio sessions. Stay hydrated by listening to your body...drink when you are thirsty during the cardio session. I've read for a long time that about 2 lbs. a week is a safe weight loss process. You may lose more than that for the first week or two but that will be some water weight. When that's leveled out, with your carbs reduced then the body will attack the fat cells for energy needs. Exersize: stick with body weight routines like push ups, pull ups, crunches. Whatever boot camp movements they'll expect you to perform well. You need learn about food/caloric content if you are serious. That info is all over the web. I may have forgotten a tidbit here but you have plenty to dig you heels into. That's my take. Now...show the USMC and this forum what you're made of and keep us informed of your progress.