PDA

View Full Version : Help with a question please!

USMC 2141
02-24-16, 07:00 PM
I was wondering how soon I would be able to take leave after getting to my duty station. I have asked this question before and didn't really get an answer. My fiance and I plan on getting married this summer but I am still in my school house and I graduate at the end of April but would like to get married the beginning of June/end of May. Is 1 month in the fleet enough time to be able to take a week or so of leave to get married? Thanks for your help!

MunkyVsRobot
02-24-16, 07:12 PM
Why dont you ask your instructors, or are you afraid they are trying to advise you against the obvious mistake you are going to make?

The answer is it all depends on your command.

2 Marine Mom
02-24-16, 11:23 PM
your recruiter, might also, be able to point you n the right direction. Whats the hurry? If she loves you, she will wait! Just cause your married, don't always mean, they will be faithful. Believe me, I know this one. good luck, marine!! may god guide you. Deb

irpat54
02-25-16, 12:36 AM
as was stated in post 2,, it is up to your new command, you will have a bunch of paper work to do and your future spouse needs to understand and I mean more then just lip service, that the Marine Corps comes first over everything and everybody second only to God... to be the spouse of a Marine is one of the toughest jobs there is.. I was lucky, my late first wife was also a Marine and we new what had to be done, and where we stood in the Corps and new the Corps came first.. it worked, out but to a civilian,, it seems harsh and unreasonable, so she really, really, really, needs to understand that the Marine Corps will always come first...

good luck

advanced
02-25-16, 02:51 AM
Though I loved all 4 of my wives, and my live-ins, and my other girl friends, believe me there is time to wait. Just call me a true romantic.

SGT7477
02-25-16, 07:40 AM
Why worry Jody takes care of things, Semper Fidelis.

William Hardy
02-25-16, 08:40 AM
Unless things have changed, I got leave between ITR and going to A School (Comm) and then leave again 6 months later after Comm School and going to Camp Elmore in Virginia.

The last thing you need during your early years is a wife. Depending on your MOS, you are looking at an almost guaranteed divorce. Let her wait at home. If she waits, you can marry her later. If she doesn't, you are better off. You might find yourself deployed aboard ship a lot or out in the field training. Wives tend to like having their guys around a lot more. Regardless of which service you are talking about, the divorce rate is extremely higher in the military than in the civilian world.

Think twice about rushing into things.

Rocky C
02-25-16, 08:43 AM
True words. been there, done that...

Old Marine
02-25-16, 09:47 AM
True words. been there, done that...

On the other hand I have been married to the same woman for 60 years, with 20 of the 60 being in the Corps.

Hammer
02-25-16, 10:34 AM
The real test is when you are deployed and out of touch because of the lack of regular communication including mail. Then you get a dear John because she can't handle it. It happens!

William Hardy
02-25-16, 12:48 PM
On the other hand I have been married to the same woman for 60 years, with 20 of the 60 being in the Corps.

Been married to the same woman for 49 years and she was my wife before I joined the Corps. Sometimes things just work out, but we beat the odds. Many of the youngsters, especially today, get divorced for such petty reasons and they wouldn't last a few months in the Corps. He needs to wait for a couple of years and see how things to for him.

advanced
02-25-16, 01:26 PM
No one has asked what your MOS is, that makes a difference. If it's infantry, forget getting married completely.

Rocky C
02-25-16, 02:59 PM
Didn't work for me, gone all the time, too young. Stayed married until the kids were old enough to understand so they wouldn't be traumatized.

I like to read when things work out like a long happy marriage. Nice !

To the OP. You could have picked a better username.
As you gain rank I am going to have to change it for you every time.

Think about something else and let me know.
We can take care of it sooner than later.

Kegler300
02-25-16, 04:42 PM
Between deployments, going to the field, etc., you might only see your wife three months out of the year ...

troop901
02-25-16, 08:44 PM
I swore that I would never get married while in the Corps and am glad I never did, saw too many end in divorce. I think the second highest divorce rate is for law enforcement. But I have been married to Da Warden for closing in on 21 yrs. Yes, I know I am junior here in that dept. but when I was in, after you got to your duty station leave was frowned upon, mainly because you didnt have any built up. But you would be allowed to take leave for marriage, depending on if your CO approved the marriage. Do they still do that?

MunkyVsRobot
02-26-16, 07:16 PM
Can some marriages last at a young age and in the Marines? Yeah there are some that can the only thing that is 100% is that nothing is 100% obviously there are some that dont fit the mold but the VAST majority do thats why the divorce rate in the military is so high because most do not.

USMC 2141
02-26-16, 09:35 PM
My MOS is 2141. I know it sounds naive but I know that my fiance won't cheat on me. I know things about her that some wives never tell their husbands or anyone else in their entire life

troop901
02-26-16, 09:52 PM
My MOS is 2141. I know it sounds naive but I know that my fiance won't cheat on me. I know things about her that some wives never tell their husbands or anyone else in their entire life
We aint sayin dont do it but whats the hurry. I saw too many "she would never and I would never" fall by the wayside when you go overseas.
And as Rocky said, you might want to change your screen name because you will probally be promoted to Lance shortly and Rocky hates to have to do work and change your screen name for you lol.
But as they said, check with your CO first.
SF

MunkyVsRobot
02-27-16, 07:33 AM
The CO cannot tell him he cannot get married that's not a lawful order, he can assist in making the decision. But as long as he isn't dating an officer or NCO SNCO in his unit the CO cant do anything about him getting married.

Rocky C
02-27-16, 08:13 AM
To the OP. You could have picked a better username.
As you gain rank I am going to have to change it for you every time.

Think about something else and let me know.
We can take care of it sooner than later.

Note * username changed to USMC 2141 from PFC M per request of the OP :thumbup: