PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Chellie Pingree: Marine tattoo policy unfair to women

Rocky C
02-24-16, 01:14 PM
AUGUSTA, Maine — A Democratic congresswoman from Maine says the Marine Corps should change tattoo rules she says unintentionally discriminate against female recruits.

Rep. Chellie Pingree wants the rule changed so the Marine Corps can accept 20-year-old Kate Pimental. The Kennebunk woman has a tattoo just below her collarbone.

Pingree says if a man had a tattoo in the same place, the Marines would accept him because he could cover it with a Marine-issued crew T-shirt. But the only T-shirt available to women in the Marines is a V-neck, which would expose the tattoo.

Pingree on Friday sent a letter to Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller asking for a waiver and a policy review.

Pimental's tattoo reads: "Let your smile change the world but never let the world change you."

MunkyVsRobot
02-24-16, 06:48 PM
the P***ification of our military is seriously no joke, they are catering to every swinging D**k in the United States. Sometimes it pains me that I love this country so much. This is what happens when you have a civilian lead military.

Big Boz
02-24-16, 06:57 PM
I thought the policy was when a Marine is in PT gear since it is the most revealing? I never saw a V neck PT tee shirt.

Tennessee Top
02-24-16, 07:10 PM
Females sometimes wear a v-neck t-shirt when they have their charlie blouse on (instead of a crewneck t-shirt like males wear). Nobody wears a v-neck t-shirt for PT. With a charlie blouse, her tattoo would be visible (it's just below the neckline and above the breastbone).

I figure since she's a female, and there is congressional pressure being applied, they'll probably come up with some kind of waiver for her. The politicians are really piling on with these liberal women's issues now cause it's the cool thing to do.

The CMC's updated tattoo policy will be out any day now. Hopefully, it will clear all this up - that's his goal anyway.

MunkyVsRobot
02-24-16, 07:13 PM
If they can wear a V neck I should be able to wear silkies. Then again I did get away with wearing them to swim qual and showing up to mu company in them and a pair of boots like a bag nasty.. So..

Rocky C
02-25-16, 08:45 AM
hahahahahaha, that was great J.....

Hammer
02-25-16, 10:29 AM
Here's my thinking. Issue women Marines t'shirts. End of problem. If the Corps is going to be gender neutral, issue everyone the same uniforms etc;. The only difference would be in the personal items that are required for women Marines re; Tampons, etc;. But then, I have seen and met some male Marines they should issue those items to.