PDA

View Full Version : Marines' early out options dwindle as the drawdown ends

Rocky C
02-24-16, 01:12 PM
Marines hoping to take advantage of early exit opportunities this year had better act fast.

After years of drawing down troop levels, the Marine Corps is on track to meet its authorized end strength of 182,000 by the end of September, about a year sooner than expected. As the service closes in on its goal, the sun is setting on early out programs.

“As a result of achieving our target end strength, the use of many of our force-shaping measures has been suspended,” said Col. Gaines Ward, head of Manpower and Reserve Affairs' plans, programs and budget branch.

Enlisted retention opportunities are increasing, but not everyone is out of the woods. Personnel officials are assessing whether another retention board is needed for staff sergeants twice passed over for promotion to gunny. An annual board was initiated in 2014, and in the past two years, 314 out of 1,061 eligible Marines were denied further service by the board.

Career designation for officers has returned to an optimum 85 percent (from a low of 55 percent). Personnel officials also expect promotion opportunities gradually to increase to desired goals over the next few years.

For officers, the following programs have been suspended:

•Eight-years commissioned service waiver. This 2011 change allowed retirement-eligible, prior enlisted officers to retire after eight, rather than 10, years of commissioned service.
•Time-in-grade waiver. This program allowed selected officers to leave the service prior to fulfilling service obligations incurred when they accepted promotion.
•Company Grade Early Out Program. This allowed company grade officers to end their active service up to one year early in exchange for two years' service in the Reserve.
•Selective Early Retirement Board. The Corps established this board to help correct imbalances and strength overages among regular unrestricted colonels and lieutenant colonels. In recent years, the board forced about two dozen officers at each rank into early retirement.
•Officer Voluntary Early Release Program. Marines approved for this program were allowed to separate up to 180 days early. Though authorized through Sept. 30, 2016, the program was shut down last summer.

Enlisted Marines will have at least one more shot at the Voluntary Enlisted Early Release Program, or VEERP. The Corps will announce details in July or August, Ward said. VEERP does not offer a financial incentive. On average, Marines leave the service about four months early under the program, which is typically used by Marines who do not have enough time left on their contract to deploy and choose not to extend.

The Voluntary Separation Pay Program is suspended for officers and enlisted. This mainstay of the drawdown offered six-digit payouts for Marines with six to 20 years of service. Though the list fluctuated, it usually included about 70 eligible military occupational specialties.

Corps cancels Voluntary Separation Pay for all Marines

Marines looking for an early out can still get some cash through the Temporary Early Retirement Authority, or TERA. The Corps is mainly using the program for MOS/grade shaping, officials said, so it is restricted to specific grades and MOSs. It also serves as a beneficial tool to offer twice-passed majors and staff sergeants retirement benefits, with a reduced pension based on years of service. The program has congressional approval through 2018.

While the end of the drawdown means Marines who desire to stay in uniform will have an easier time, re-up is no guarantee. Ward encouraged Marines to submit a re-enlistment package for their MOS, or consider a lateral move into a high-demand/low-density MOS.

irpat54
02-24-16, 02:05 PM
I can live with 182,000, I would prefer about 200,000..

MunkyVsRobot
02-24-16, 06:42 PM
I read about this last night, spells possible good news for me and when I submit my package. Ive been sweating re-enlistment because I would like to and I feel as if I am a great Marine far from getting the Medal of Honor but I am a good Marine if you catch my drift.

So I am really hoping when it comes time they give me the green light. I like the

While the end of the drawdown means Marines who desire to stay in uniform will have an easier time, re-up is no guarantee.

portion. I understand it isnt guaranteed but seems a little bit safer of a bet than before.

Rocky C
02-25-16, 08:58 AM
I hope they do also J.

Good luck brother.