PDA

View Full Version : Marines roll out tougher initial strength test for poolees

MunkyVsRobot
02-23-16, 08:01 PM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/02/23/marines-roll-out-tougher-initial-strength-test-poolees/80810536/

I think I am all for it, but it seems like the new fitness test just combines parts of the PFT and CFT together. Why not something new. Its like the new mando TIG requirement for LCpls and CPL's they still rate a score after 9 months but have to still wait a year to get promoted, why not just make it so they dont rate a score till a year mark. Ridiculous.

Tennessee Top
02-23-16, 08:44 PM
Here's what I don't like...

The new tougher IST is only for combat MOS's. POG's only have to pass the easier one. WTF is that? Whatever happened to "every Marine a rifleman"?

MunkyVsRobot
02-23-16, 08:49 PM
Guess not everyone will be held to the same standard, not sure how its gonna work. Some of it I get. Like ill never have to load tank shells on the back of a tank, unless stuff is really messed up like WWIII.

0351 Corporal
02-23-16, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the Corps is creating a more predominate fine line between support and combat. Only a matter of time until that's all there is.

madsox
02-23-16, 09:15 PM
I'm with Top on this one, that's for sure!

"Poolees not training for load-bearing MOSs" - WTF?

:thumbdown

Big Boz
02-23-16, 10:01 PM
I think that it's an indirect or maybe direct way to expose female recruits to what the combat roles may entail to make them reeeeaaalllly think about seeking out a combat role. I don't totally disagree with it.

madsox
02-23-16, 10:46 PM
Oughta have all the poolees do the same (harder) IST, I'd say. But I'm turning into a crotchety old bastid...

0351 Corporal
02-24-16, 01:07 AM
Oughta have all the poolees do the same (harder) IST, I'd say. But I'm turning into a crotchety old bastid...

hahaha, I'm with this salt dog.

Zulu 36
02-24-16, 02:17 AM
I think Big Boz is kind of on the right track with this one. It's my take that a harder IST for "load-bearing" MOS' is a way to weed out as many females as possible. Sure, some will eke through, but perhaps kept to a reasonable minimum that other hard training will eventually cull further.

My suspicion is that ITB will quietly also become much more physically demanding.

Rocky C
02-24-16, 07:31 AM
I just read the article. Now I'm totally confused. Changing direction on this weekly now.
I heard something else across the board for male recruits.

Old Marine
02-24-16, 09:53 AM
Here's what I don't like...

The new tougher IST is only for combat MOS's. POG's only have to pass the easier one. WTF is that? Whatever happened to "every Marine a rifleman"?

I know nothing about Poolees, and I believe that all who are coming into the Marine Corps should have to pass the same tests rather written or physical.

When they get to Boot Camp I highly doubt that the D.I's will administer seperate tests to each and every recruit. If that is the case, thank god I retired long ago. Back in the 60's it was bad enough sending them to a school out in San Diego to learn to read & write.

advanced
02-24-16, 10:23 AM
I personally have no problem with combat MOS's having a more difficult PFT. It's not about "fairness," Marine Corps Infantry trains all the time anyway, I can't see how the new PFT could be any more difficult than day to day training. MC combat MOS's are not for the timid or faint hearted anyway. So the POG's will have it easier, what's new?

Tennessee Top
02-24-16, 12:28 PM
I think part of it is, to dispel the misgivings the Corps will make things easier for female grunts (to push them into infantry battalions and to cave to all the political pressure to do so). Question is, what does the CMC do, when the SECNAV gets another hair up his liberal butt, sticks his nose in, and mandates things be made easier?

advanced
02-24-16, 12:30 PM
I think part of it is, to dispel the misgivings the Corps will make things easier for female grunts (to push them into infantry battalions and to cave to all the political pressure to do so). Question is, what does the CMC do, when the SECNAV gets another hair up his butt, sticks his nose in, and mandates things be made easier?
All I can say is God Bless the Marine Corps!

Tennessee Top
02-24-16, 12:32 PM
The USMC needs all the help it can get these days. Including from the man up above.

MunkyVsRobot
02-24-16, 06:50 PM
I know nothing about Poolees, and I believe that all who are coming into the Marine Corps should have to pass the same tests rather written or physical.

When they get to Boot Camp I highly doubt that the D.I's will administer seperate tests to each and every recruit. If that is the case, thank god I retired long ago. Back in the 60's it was bad enough sending them to a school out in San Diego to learn to read & write.

There isnt enough time to administer 2 different physical fitness tests