PDA

View Full Version : SOI as NCO

Sky16ler
02-23-16, 02:25 PM
Afternoon Marines, Im in the process of lat moving from 3531 to 0311. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process and what it was like going though SOI as an NCO? Thank you for the help.

Rocky C
02-23-16, 02:31 PM
Wow, that's great ! From a Motor T reservist to Active Duty Infantry ?

I wasn't aware the Marine Corps was letting reservists do that esp. Infantry.

Good luck, Marines will be by soon to answer your questions if there are any that went as an NCO

Tennessee Top
02-23-16, 03:18 PM
No idea. I'm also surprised this is happening (considering, they are allowing qualified females to lat move into infantry MOS's now too). I know the active duty reenlistment rate is lower than anticipated, but didn't realize they're hurting for grunts that much. I do remember last June, they were offering reenlistment bonuses to 0365, 0311, 0313, 0331, 0341, 0351, and 0352 MOS's as incentives to stay in. Apparently, not enough grunts took them up on that offer (something to consider - there's got to be a reason so many passed up the money).

Good luck at SOI. If you don't mind, come back after and let us know how it went (somebody else might have the same question).

Sky16ler
02-23-16, 04:30 PM
Thank you MSgt, I will definitely post in here to let all the Marines know how it went. I dont know exactly when Im going still waiting on the dates to get approved. As of now the dates I picked i would be there in April

MunkyVsRobot
02-23-16, 04:49 PM
Bear in mind you will be a boot if you do lat move in some cases with LCpls telling you what to do. I know of some people who have done it and they said they hated life for quite a whole so keep that in mind. In the Marine Corps especially the grunts billet does exceed rank.

Sky16ler
02-23-16, 04:59 PM
Bear in mind you will be a boot if you do lat move in some cases with LCpls telling you what to do. I know of some people who have done it and they said they hated life for quite a whole so keep that in mind. In the Marine Corps especially the grunts billet does exceed rank.

Yeah Im aware of that and know it will take time to gain the respect of the Marines. I plan on just working my hardest and proving myself to them. Its going to be a long journey but will work out in the end

Kegler300
02-23-16, 05:15 PM
Back in my day, we were called dumb grunts. But today's infantry is probably one of the most technical MOS's in the Marine Corps with all of the technology now available. All we had back then were e-tools and night vision goggles ...

0351 Corporal
02-23-16, 07:36 PM
When I went through SOI we had a NCO go through it with us. The NCO was treated with the respect of his rank, i.e. he was allowed to have a car/go on libo when not in the field, and got something like 4 wall lockers and a private nco corner in the barracks. They will respect your rank, just be ready because every lcpl and below will ask you questions when they don't know whats going on, which means all the time lol.

hope this helps.

Sky16ler
02-23-16, 07:46 PM
When I went through SOI we had a NCO go through it with us. The NCO was treated with the respect of his rank, i.e. he was allowed to have a car/go on libo when not in the field, and got something like 4 wall lockers and a private nco corner in the barracks. They will respect your rank, just be ready because every lcpl and below will ask you questions when they don't know whats going on, which means all the time lol.

hope this helps.

Thanks that actually helps alot. I expect to get the millions of questions. When I went through motor t school we had a Sgt with us that was in the NCO barracks and treated 100% different than us.

0351 Corporal
02-23-16, 07:51 PM
anytime Devil Dog.

Semper Fi!

MunkyVsRobot
02-23-16, 08:04 PM

hope this helps.

True story but it isn't the boots he'll have to worry about itll be the fleet Marines that he will have to worry about if that's even an issue which in all reality it may not be. All depends on where you go.

NJS7x7
02-24-16, 01:15 PM
We had two NCOs a CPL and SGT in my ITB Platoon. They had to partake in all of the same physical and academic events and tests and meet the standards, but that was about it. They did not partake in any of the "games", did not hold billets, got off base libo every weekend, could keep their cell phones, did not stand firewatch, and got their own separate rack area within the squad bay. At least in my company they were still not allowed to drink alcohol on libo however.

Just know that you will be watched and judged every minute by all the Privates as well as instructors. The SGT was helpful, knowledgeable, fit and lead by example.

The CPL fell out of hikes, was the bottom 10% in fitness, attempted to play his own "games" with the us, and followed the phrase "Do as I say, not as I do!" in every sense. Needless to say the Privates sometimes found ways to make his life "interesting", and the instructors showed open professional contempt for him. He passed the bare minimums so he still graduated regardless. I heard the reputation he made for himself in ITB followed him to his next unit.

Sky16ler
02-24-16, 06:36 PM
We had two NCOs a CPL and SGT in my ITB Platoon. They had to partake in all of the same physical and academic events and tests and meet the standards, but that was about it. They did not partake in any of the "games", did not hold billets, got off base libo every weekend, could keep their cell phones, did not stand firewatch, and got their own separate rack area within the squad bay. At least in my company they were still not allowed to drink alcohol on libo however.

Just know that you will be watched and judged every minute by all the Privates as well as instructors. The SGT was helpful, knowledgeable, fit and lead by example.

The CPL fell out of hikes, was the bottom 10% in fitness, attempted to play his own "games" with the us, and followed the phrase "Do as I say, not as I do!" in every sense. Needless to say the Privates sometimes found ways to make his life "interesting", and the instructors showed open professional contempt for him. He passed the bare minimums so he still graduated regardless. I heard the reputation he made for himself in ITB followed him to his next unit.

Thanks for the info Brother... sounds like that Cpl was a turd, Im a mentor for 3 jr Marines now that even when I leave asked if ill remain their mentor so I dont see myself being anything like that Cpl

Sky16ler
04-18-16, 09:06 AM
Thanks Marines for the help I leave shortly for SOI. Ill post once i get home on how it went

devilbones2
04-18-16, 03:52 PM
Thanks Marines for the help I leave shortly for SOI. Ill post once i get home on how it went
Good luck brother.

troop901
04-22-16, 06:59 PM
When I went thru what was ITS at that time we had a Cpl. He had to do everything we had to except as pointed out, he did not have to stand firewatch and never had to play the games we as boots had to play. He had been a cook and said he didnt join the Corps to cook food. We referred to him as Cpl. and at all times showed him respect. We looked up to him because he had time in. But good luck in your training Marine.
SF

Kegler300
04-22-16, 07:05 PM

Camp Geiger?